Sign in to follow this  
phatjack

windows only open when door is open :?

haven't had the car for that long and am still tring to work out al the other little niggles.

the windows did work when i first got the car, but now they only work when the door is open. has anyone had a similar problem. anyone got any suggestions please? :?

chhers m8y will try that. however, both doors have the same problem and they went at the same time. could the wiring on both doors go at the same time?

more than likely a short in the circuit somewhere as previously mentioned - might be worth getting the door cards off and having a look for a worn wire or something

Hmm - that is a bit weird. Mine went through a phase of locking me out of the driver side - usually infront of gorgeous women - soI'd have to clamber in the passenger side and over the gear stick!

Mine did this once. try opening the door but presing the door swich in.

do they work then? mine was a broken wire

Sounds like you have a duff control module to me. It is designed so that you can still operate the windows with the door open and the ignition off for a short period of time - so maybe that bit of the circuit is still working but it's ignoring you for the rest of the time.

There's a brown/white wire up in the corner of the dash plugged into the earthing cluster, which usually gets confused with the door pin switch by alarm fitters.

You need to trace the wires from the control box (behind the driver's side rear card) to the fuseboard and earth cluster and make sure none are broken / missing.

The thermal fuses for the windows are sitting above the main fuse board.

Mine did this once. try opening the door but presing the door swich in.

do they work then? mine was a broken wire

tried the button and that is exactly what it does. where was your broken wire? :?

mine had exactly the same problem 2 years ago :D

had to open the door to open/close the windows, a right pain when on the motorway and wanting a smoke.

it was a fuse, can't remember the number, but I believe the same as the heated seats and reverse light (check if they work), It isn't listed in the manual though.

just check the reverse light mate, and then the fuses, i'll bet you 20p one has blown

Check fuse 16, seen this happen a couple of times, it's usually blown.

cheers shippers :D did that and it was fuse 14. i must be going senial as i am sure that i checked my fuses (allthough, it was only a cursory glance. never pulled any)

and thanx to all that have given me advice. bit of a daft thing to be stuck on but you have all made my life that little cooler now that i can open my windows without having to open my doors first... :D