Sign in to follow this  
Andi

Everything in 3s? I hope so....

I've been rather quiet on the forum recently - I'm actually quite busy for once but I am about!

So I thought I'd fill you lot in on the goings-on on my very own C...

Firstly, a month ago, went to start the car... nothing. Late Monday evening and I just wanted to go home, so rang RAC, and they send some guy from a recovery company - not an actual RAC bloke, who diagnoses faulty starter. Knowing full-well about the ignition switch problem, I made him double check this... he swore it was fine but kept checking his watch, so I told him "Thanks and bye".

So arranged the day off work and got the car booked in at a nearly-local garage north of Derby (I wasn't at home!) and he said the starter was fine (how bizarre..) and the ignition switch had gone - so wired me up a bypass, onto which I have now made a push-button start.

Second problem. Coming back from No-Rice a couple of weeks ago, nearly home, then CLANG. Then every preceeding dip in the road *clang clang* from the front-right. Pop into ATS Euromaster the next day and up on the ramp its obvious: the anti-roll bar linkage had sheared.

They should be replaced in pairs. ATS wanted £27ea, VW £40+ea, ECP £20ea and GSF £12.50ea. So, ordered the VW ones.... no, only joking! GSF ones turned up a couple of days later, and ATS fitted them and redid the tracking (spot on I might add!) when I finally got round there!

Then there's today.

Car was absolutely fine this morning - obliterated all sorts as I darted around Derby. Went to goto the cinema this evening, "click, vrrooom, bang!, splutter, splutter, stall". D'oh. RAC man came this time (yay!) and the Vacuum Accumulator had exploded (or imploded?) causing a rather severe vacuum leak. So he dispensed half-a-roll of tape round it and the car is now back to being alive!

So the gf and I went to the slightly later showing instead ;) Finding Nemo is quite a nice film...

I'll be off to CMS in Derby to see if they can supply, as ECP and GSF have drawn a-blank and I bet VW will be a joke.

Happy days!!

Let's just hope that's it for now!

(Except I need 4 new tyres... but that doesn't really count).

sounds like you've had a busy time of things mate, as you say, hopefully these things come in 3s 8)

Thera

VW installed a self destruct system into the Corrado.

When a predetermined mileage or age is reached, the car starts falling to peices and keeps doing so until A) it completely falls apart is taken to the scrap yard out of sympathy, or B) the owner runs out of money/loses faith and takes it to the scrappy out of spite!

Without a shadow of a doubt, the Corrado is both the best and worst car VW have ever made. If only they'd injected some of what they put into the MK2 Golf, into the Corrado.

Kev

VW installed a self destruct system into the Corrado.

That explains an awful lot! :lol: :roll:

Personally I think it's 'cos it's such a great driver's car that we have these problems.... People just love DRIVING them rather than just using them from transport... :lol: 8)

Could be something in that, hence why you don't see many VR6s with less than 100K on the clock?

Kev

very true........mine is still a relative youngster miles-wise(63k at present) though i seem to be clocking them up a bit too much for my liking......i bought it at 5 1/2 years old with only 38k miles on it........

Agreed Kev.. its the only possible explanation for the mountain of problems on these cars..

Definately love / hate relationship :)

Well, mine will hit 192k miles by the end of the week, and its generally been doing pretty well. All in all, over my last 20k miles, I've spend just over £1k on essential work - including servicing.

I'll get this baby to 250k no probs ;)

Keep trying Andi! 8)

I'm up to over 230K at the moment and as soon as the new engine hits the spot I reckon another 100K will be on the cards in the next 5 years! :shock: :lol:

And then I go and wonder why I spend so much on my car... :roll:

Glad you got it sorted mate Darren was round my house when you rang him it did sound like a vacuum related problem glad the RAC were actually competent enough to sort it for ya. I ve had to call them out quite a few times in the past and every time I ve had to be trailored home even for the most simple fixes.

Keep trying Andi! 8)

I'm up to over 230K at the moment and as soon as the new engine hits the spot I reckon another 100K will be on the cards in the next 5 years! :shock: :lol:

And then I go and wonder why I spend so much on my car... :roll:

230K :shock:

makes my 120Ker look like a baby :wink:

Thera