Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

205 or 215?

I'll be buying new rubber in the next few weeks for my 7 x 16" rims. What are peeps opinions on 205/45/16 against 215/40/16? The 215's are closer to the rolling circumference of the originals but I think are much less common so I might not be able to get the brand I want.

I used this link for sizing, quite good I reckon.

http://www.troyautopoint.co.uk/tyrecalculator.htm

Thanks

Dave

Having drove with both id go with the 215's everytime. Handles and grips better, noticable improvement in acceleration with the 215's, and similar cost.

Only downside was a slightly harsher ride.

Having drove with both id go with the 215's everytime. Handles and grips better, noticable improvement in acceleration with the 215's, and similar cost.

Only downside was a slightly harsher ride.

Depends what tyres you have.

The 205s on mine are Avon zz3s and I rate them highly!

The handling is fantastic! Ive got toyo T1Rs on the fornts, the 7.5s

Not to mention I like the stretched look :)

Thanks for the input, I'm gonna go with 215/40/16 to keep as close to the original rolling circumference and it'll give me a slightly wider tyre.

Will probably go for Eagle F1's.

Thanks

heard the uniroyal rain sports are excellent too

Not 100% decided yet but they're about the same price as the F1's.

Anyone had good/bad service from mytyres.co.uk?

Kev also rates the Uniroyals quite highly doesnt he?

My ex had uniroyals on her punto and although were only 175's it gripped bloody well and didnt budge in the wet!

Yeah I like the Uniroyals a lot. They are VERY VERY popular in Germany, but Brits are slow on the uptake.

I would personally get 205/45/16 Rainsports Dave. They're just as chunky as any 215 section tyre but they grip like a WAG to a Footballer / middle aged billionaire.

I didn't rate 215/40/16s for feel and they wash out easily round bends due to shorter sidewall and as already mentioned, the ride quality is terrible and unless you slam the car, the extra big arch gap looks stupid aswell.

The 205s on mine are Avon zz3s and I rate them highly!

Running the same on mine, and very impressed by them and at £55 a corner, quite a good price.

They are H rated so good for upto 168mph, but only gone for that as they are stretched and wanted as much strength as possible.

205s

ive got 195/45s on my 7.5s and 205/40s on my 9s

Must be MOT'ed by a blind man/woman then as that's illegal. :wink:

205/50/15 being standard, the wheel calculator shows 205/45/16 as only being 0.84 percent bigger circumfrence, ie making little difference to the speedo.

IMO I'd love a set of 16'x7's and would buy 205/45/16. Im currently running 205's on my 7's and think they work well and look fine - however to note that some tyres look different, for example these Rainsports look chunky compared to my old Dunlops.

I didn't rate 215/40/16s for feel and they wash out easily round bends due to shorter sidewall and as already mentioned, the ride quality is terrible and unless you slam the car, the extra big arch gap looks stupid aswell.

Sounds to me like you had your front dampers set too hard or rears too soft, easily adjusted out. :)

The ride is pretty harsh though, but I wouldnt go as far as to say terrible.