Sign in to follow this  
Dan_NI

Koni Top adjustables VR6

Hey Guys,

recently got myself a vr6 fitted with koni top damping adjustable shock and eibach springs.

now the springs were totally fooked the back was rubbing alll the time and the front springs had been heated or something as the bottom three coils were laying one on top of each other.

is anyone running with these shocks? what springs are you using and which are best?

I've standard springs on the front now with the koni struts and standard rear shocks and springs pity just wasting the koni's as they seam to be in good nick.

any info be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

A lot of guys on here are running the Koni shocks with H&R springs and are supposed to be the best combination without going down the coilover route.

Cheers i'll look into it.

do you know who would be a good supplier rob?

Anyone running with h&R springs got a part number by chance?

i've got KW springs and they are very very good, also pi springs are also well regarded as being very good, and there are a set on the vr6oc for sale, think the guy only wants £40 for them.

karl

Might want to change the thread title to "Koni" top adjustable :-)

Eibachs are a bit hard..... ask Dinkus :lol:

The H&Rs are much better. Don't bother searching for Corrado ones, just get Golf III VR6 springs and they're green in colour and says "Golf III" (even corrado ones) on the coils.

changed the title :lol:

alrite think i'll check out the H&R and KW springs what should i be expecting to pay?

I'll have a look on vr6oc too, didn't want to chance 2nd hand springs though

Just got a set of Koni shocks (used) Its harder to press them down by hand (without springs of course) and they spring back up quite quickly. Should this not be the other way around ie easy to press down and return slowly? WHich way to turn the tops for adjustment and where do you get the bump stops for them? TIA

I'm running Kont TA's and H&R springs, and they are really very good. Handling is ecxellent, and the ride is much less wallowy, but still comfortable and reasonably comfortable. It is very sure footed on good roads now. The drop is also very pleasing, and just about puts the wheels in the centre of the arches, without going too low (for my liking anyway).

The action of the dampers (hard to press, easy to extend) is about right. If it were easy to press in, the car would wallow/drop over bumps, and return very slowly. IIRC, turn clockwise to tighten, though it should be obviously stiffer at the extremes of adjustment, so you should be able to work it out.

As for bump stops, I got the rears from GSF, as they need to be trimmed, and the GSF ones are supposed to be better to trim, and the fronts from VW. The fronts were from a mk k golf GTi, as they are about the right length for the 25-30mm drop.

You might want to consider new top mounts and top bearings while your at it, depending on the condition of yours, and for the H&R springs, you will need early VR6 top spring plates, if you have a later car.

Phil

I've got H & Rs and the lowest three coils are laying on top of each other on them, they always have done. I queried this some time ago but was told it was normal.

Ive been running H&R springs for 18months. They give a very positive ride and are reasuraingly stable when having fun, although can be a little harsh on poor country roads. I've now switched springs as the H&R's werent low enoungh for my taste but i couldnt afford coilies. Bit of a shamles plug but the springs are now in the For Sale section :) .

What are you going for, are you not woried that lower will mean harsher?

I've already switched to Pi springs after talking with several forum members, they'd said that the Pi's gave noticeably smoother ride to that of the H&R's. That sounded good to me having to deal poor roads on a daily basis, i took a chance and chucked JOM caps on to aid with the lowering hoping they wouldn't ruin the ride as i found they did with the H&R's.

Im pretty pleased with the end result so far, car is noticeably lower and the arch gap has closed too which was my main aim. The ride is about on par with the H&R's albeit that it handles the bigger bumps and dips in a more comfortable manner. Verdict is still out on the hooning factor around the country roads, still letting them settle in and ive yet to play around with the damping.

I have the H&R's + Koni TA's and I love the look of the drop, but hate the ride comfort (I live in the sticks and have to negotiate bumpy roads all the time). Plus speedbumps are buggers to climb over without it sounding like something is breaking. I've been very tempted to put the OE suspension back on and I would have by now if it wasn't for the silly tractor-like ride height the VR's 'Plus' suspension leaves you with. :shock:

I've just assembled one of the front shocks (with Pi springs) Off the car you cant turn the adjuster. Is this right? Componenet order as follows:

bump stop, boot, spring top plate (with spring stopping pin pointing downwards), bearing (rounded edge uppermost) nut. This seems to be in line with Bentley, but i would have thought that the top pin could be turned through the bearing?

h + r springs as with some other makes have close coils one end so when you jack the car up they expand and stop the spring falling off the seat, because if this happens you will fail an mot , and its anoying havin to put it back when you lower it back down.

oh yeah i use vogtland springs with koni sport ta s , the ride and handling is spot on.

http://vogtlandsuspension.com/

Just doing the rears now, the bottom of the spring is slightly too large for the centre of the spring plate, even with the white plastic cap. Is this significant? Also, there were two collars fitted below teh rear spring plate which i have removed. What are these for? Look like they make the spring compress more when stationary. I throught they might be used to centre the springs, but they are too large to fit into the centre of the lowest coil of the spring, spring they just sit on top. Does that make sense? :scratch:

Also, where can you get the nut for the front shocks, to secure the top plate (can you use any standard nut with similar thread?) TIA.

quote:Also, where can you get the nut for the front shocks, to secure the top plate (can you use any standard nut with similar thread?) TIA.

just buy the nuts of vw there as cheap as chips i renewed every thing on the struts when i done mine.

ReekieVR kindly scanned me a copy of the Koni leaflet but it doesnt show this collar. In fact the springs are shown fitted upside in them - but i guess its a generic image. Any suggestions gratefully received. Of main concern is the centering of the spring on the base plate.

ReekieVR kindly scanned me a copy of the Koni leaflet but it doesnt show this collar. In fact the springs are shown fitted upside in them - but i guess its a generic image. Any suggestions gratefully received. Of main concern is the centering of the spring on the base plate.

i did not have any probs centering my spring there was no issues with that at all but i used different springs on my konis.

Interesting. Basically the ID of the spring is greater than the OD of the white plastic collar by about 10mm. It needs spring compressors to fit so maybe it'll be okay when tightened up?

Paul20v I have heard you need to use early top mounts with late shocks.

Dunno if this is right or wrong.What are you using ?

Paul20v I have heard you need to use early top mounts with late shocks.

Dunno if this is right or wrong.What are you using ?

no i think its true with most but the vogtland springs were a straight fit on the late mounts , i think there are a few others that will go on late top mounts too ,its no big deal either way i end up buying both early and late just to be safe as i did not want to do the job twice ,but there is a really good thread covering the measurement on it

here it is

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=61944&start=15&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

:D