Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

9a vs KR fuelling...

Ok got into a discussion about KR i/let cams and also been advised to go KR fuelling as well to rid the possible problems with 9a metering head..

I'm now confused, what are pros/cons to this?

Nothing in the 16v tuning guide on the Wiki, and can't see anything on the search either..

KR system is just simpler, the knock sensors, lambda probe, differential fuel pressure regulator and controlling ECU just make the 9A more complex, and it's limited fault finding ability make it hard to diagnose.

In theory a 'chipped' 9A system would be better at supplying fuel at the to end where KR's tend to lean out and you wouldn't have to run it rich throughout the rev range.

In practice there's little advantage with the 9a system power wise , and it seems like they become more troublesome than the KR (plain K-jet) system with age.

I agree with 'more troublesome with age'!

The problem with changing to a kr from a 9a is that if your car needs a CAT for MOT then the KR system doesn't cut fuel on rev limit it cuts ignition therefore dumping a load of unburnt fuel into he CAT, which wouldn't be very good for it really...