Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Ibiza Cupra Brembo's....

...is this a worthwhile upgrade for a G60.

Got the chance of a brand new set up, calipers, carriers, discs and pads for less than £400.

I have them on mine and tehy are worth EVERY PENNY!!!! Even if you paid full price at the dealers.

I had mine MOT'd last and when they brake tested them, my wheels locked the rollers teh stopping pwer is that good!!! Combine that with good suspension and excellent tyres and they stop my car sooo quick but controlled, yet don't lock up even though I dont have ABS

only 2 more words....... BUY THEM!!!!!!

Get them mate, for 400 Quid new thats a complete bargain!

one of the best upgrades i've made to my VR (got the 5 stud versions with 323x28mm discs) awesome stopping power as Blue_Joe says!

Cheers all, could probably wangle a discount at a Seat site through my contacts but rather just buy the set thats been offered to me.

Andy/Baron,

Suggest you have a chat with Bill "Ibiza" Brockbank at Badger5.co.uk about these kits. He supplied the 323mm Leon Brembos on my car. Not only does he do a good price to supply 305/312 kits but will know what carriers/shims you may need to fit them to a Corrado.

HTH,

John

p.s. The Ibiza Brembos are a great upgrade from stock but the 323mm Leon Brembo kits are even better (for track work)

Andy/Baron,

Suggest you have a chat with Bill "Ibiza" Brockbank at Badger5.co.uk about these kits. He supplied the 323mm Leon Brembos on my car. Not only does he do a good price to supply 305/312 kits but will know what carriers/shims you may need to fit them to a Corrado.

HTH,

John

p.s. The Ibiza Brembos are a great upgrade from stock but the 323mm Leon Brembo kits are even better (for track work)

I'll be in need of an upgrade very soon, so any information you manage to get hold of would be great!

whats a ball park figure?

Happy Birthday Baron by the way :)

Andy/Baron,

HTH,

John

The 323mm Leon kit won't fit a G60 as they are 5 stud hubs and therefore to get them to fit would mean Hub changers. Also you don't really need to go that far with the G60 as you don't have the additional weight of the VR lump.

As regards to fitment. You just use teh Ibiza carriers and bolts, you just need to shorten the Ibiza bolts by about an inch. Other than that they are a straight bolt on.

You wiil need to get a set of custom brake lines for them though. These you do get from Bill @ badger 5 - thats where i got mine from!

Sam,

Bill does the 4-stud kits as well. I mentioned the 323mm kit more to illustrate that Badger5 does a full range of these things more than anything else.

He also sells replacement Ferodo pads (to fit the Brembo kits) cheaper than anywhere else I've found in the UK.

I bought my 323x28mm grooved discs, carriers & bolts etc from Bill too, top service, really nice guy to deal with!

I'll be in need of an upgrade very soon, so any information you manage to get hold of would be great!

whats a ball park figure?

Happy Birthday Baron by the way :)

Try this website mate, there's some outline figures for the complete kits on it, but you can always shop around for Brembo calipers on E-Bay etc and then just get everything else you need from Bill (i picked up a set of brand new Brembo 4 pots for a lot less than the list prices).

http://www.badger5.co.uk/

how do compare to the AP kits? read that track users change the brembos for ap racing equivalents...

I have 330mm AP 4 pots and no complaints.

There are only so many ways you can push a pad onto a disc. It's all down to the quality of materials, pad choice and how well the chassis is able to deploy the stopping power.

You are correct. Many Evo drivers ditch the OE Brembos in favour of the AP racings. They often start with the discs because they're OE mitsi plain faced ones and not that great, but then they soon work up to the 6 pot AP calipers aswell when they find the Brem calipers can't cope on the track. The Brems are fine for road use..... APs are built to withstand racing, hence the brand name ;-)

As an aside, AP and Brembo are the same company now and AP is part of the huge Lockheed group....a major player in the OE braking market. They still make and market their own branded products though, it was more a silent merger than take over. The motor industry is very insestous. Nearly all high performance cars with multipot calipers use AP, Brembo or Alcon calipers, but with their own logos on and nearly all the discs come from the same foundry....

They often start with the discs because they're OE mitsi plain faced ones and not that great, but then they soon work up to the 6 pot AP calipers aswell when they find the Brem calipers can't cope on the track. The Brems are fine for road use..... APs are built to withstand racing, hence the brand name ;-)

I disagree Kev. There's nothing wrong with the Brembo kits for track use at all - they're as good as anything else out there short of going up to full racing systems, which incidentally they also do very well with.

In my experience it's all down to the disc area, pad area and pad materials and perhaps that's why the Evo guys feel the AP systems are better. The number of pots is very much a lesser factor in overall performance. I've found that switching from Brembo to Ferodo pads makes a really big difference to the depth and feel of the braking (it was Brockbank's suggestion to change them). I wonder if they tried different pads before dumping the whole system.

Of course if you want real performance brakes then you have to skip past Brembo & AP and go for an Alcon setup, which are actually used by more Rally & Touring car teams than any other brand. But then they are expensive (and AP are quite a bit more expensive than Brembos too)

I was at Combe all day Friday on a trackday, and was taking yards off almost everything else there under braking, and mine was easily one of the most "road" cars there. Even though I sintered the pads, and got the discs glowing red into Quarry (and I have photos to prove it!) the brakes never really started to fade, and the pedal didn't go soft either. I doubt that AP could be much better than that.

I'm not saying all this to just be contrary, but I suppose what I'm saying is don't always just accept that AP is automatically better simply because the Evo boys dive off in droves to fit them. Most of the Evo driver's I've encountered at track days havn't got a bloody clue anyway - most of them seem happy just to hoon it down the straights, like the Lancer 2 & Evo 6 I overtook on Friday...

Wow Brake Prices have shot up! Last time I spoke to badger Bill a Set of 4-Pot Brembos and 305mm disc was £550!!!! Now £745 EEK!

I disagree Kev. There's nothing wrong with the Brembo kits for track use at all - they're as good as anything else out there short of going up to full racing systems, which incidentally they also do very well with.

I was answering the question about Evo boys switching to APs, not suggesting Brembos are pap full stop.

And also I said AP and Brembo are the same company, so what Brembo are good at, AP are too. Why do you think Brembo chose to partner with AP, as opposed to Tar-OX, Alcon, Mov-it, Hi-Spec, or Wilwood? Technology and experience is the answer to that. Brembo wanted a very strong and light monobloc caliper and AP co-developed it with them.

I wonder if they tried different pads before dumping the whole system.

As I say, the factory fit plain discs aren't up to it. They warp as soon they smell a track and that is not something a change of pad can cure. It's all in the quality of the iron and ability to dissipate heat. I don't see any Brembo or Alcon discs with 48 centrifugal pump effect cooling vanes in any VW kits - which AP supply.

Of course if you want real performance brakes then you have to skip past Brembo & AP and go for an Alcon setup, which are actually used by more Rally & Touring car teams than any other brand. But then they are expensive (and AP are quite a bit more expensive than Brembos too)

Yes Alcon are good, agreed......but the price difference versus performance improvement isn't justified.......in the same way £2,500 for a MOTEC M400 ECU isn't justified over a £1000 DTA S80 ECU.

Even though I sintered the pads, and got the discs glowing red into Quarry (and I have photos to prove it!) the brakes never really started to fade, and the pedal didn't go soft either. I doubt that AP could be much better than that.

Yes, and I have pictures of a Skyline wearing 6 pot APs, bright orange rotors and Pagid Greys on fire and smoking, whilst slowing down from 180mph, what's your point?

I'm not saying all this to just be contrary, but I suppose what I'm saying is don't always just accept that AP is automatically better simply because the Evo boys dive off in droves to fit them.

Yes you were. You were defending Brembo, which you're entitled to to in the same way I defend AP. They are the same company FFS!!

Jeez... I guess we'll just have to agree to misunderstand each other and leave it at that...

Just reread my post, t'was a bit strong..... I do apologise. No offense intended.

Do you still stand by the quote: - 'anyone who doesn't have a turbo fitted to their Corrado is a gay' ?

http://www.f-inbigbrakes.co.uk/billet_4.htm

There are 4 pot kits from HiSpec ranging from 285-300mm discs. Has anyone fitted these?

Also looked at the Wilwood Dynalites. Have read they can flex and have no dust seals causing them to stick. Not ideal for winter here really. But again - anyone been running them for any length of time.

Or.. even tracked either?