dtjames

What is this? ...and what to do?

When my car occasionally stalls/cuts out, this part continues to make a buzzing sound.

Can you experts please tell me what this part is and what to do about the slightly frayed hose please?

Thats the fuel pressure regulator. The hose is an air line, so dont worry about leaking fuel. Just replace the hose/trim it if theres still enough to re attach.

If that hose is split, your idle and midrange fuelling will be too rich.

It's probably the injectors causing a buzzing sound in the regulator as they're pulsing the fuel....although if it's stalled it shouldn't be doing anything. Are you sure it's defo that buzzing?

I put my ear next to it and am fairly sure - is there anything immediately in that vicinity that may also buzz?

Kev, whilst I have your attention, what's wrong with my car please? It randomly stalls when I dip the clutch (to switch to neutral) or stop.

I am fairly sure it may be the ISV, but haven't got any replacement clips for the hoses I;ll need to replace when I've cleaned it.

What else do you think ! I VERY much value your opinion. Where should I start looking next?

Also, which tyres shall I replace my GY F1s with nowadays - the tyre thread goes on and on and on...

Much valued replies when you get a chance :)

C wouldn't start at all yesterday afternoon.

I took off HT leads WD40 and replaced and started straight away, Is this luck or may I have had a dodgy connection causing my symptoms?

There's a thousand threads discussing the "random VR6 stalling" problem. Have a dig around. Most of them have long lists of things you should check out before asking again, in yet another thread!

I put my ear next to it and am fairly sure - is there anything immediately in that vicinity that may also buzz?

The things that buzz in that area aren't working when the engine is turned off (injectors, coilpack etc), so that's odd. It could be residual pressure in the rail, not sure without seeing the car!

Kev, whilst I have your attention, what's wrong with my car please? It randomly stalls when I dip the clutch (to switch to neutral) or stop.

Where to start? :lol: VR6s run far too lean at idle and it's a very common problem. They also suffer from fuel evaporation in the rear cylinders when sat in traffic for ages. I've seen intake temps of 90 degrees C under these conditions, so it's small wonder VR's struggle to maintain a good idle. When remapping a VR, it really does need a pad of extra fuel and timing under the 680rpm cell to 'bounce' the revs back up again if they fall to sharply, thereby reducing load on the ISV.

When it stalls, is it a cough and splutter, with revs dropping to 400 and eventual death, or does it shut off instantly as if someone has pulled a plug? If the latter, ISV for definite. If the former (more common), that's usually MAF related.

Try cleaning out the ISV with thinners, carb cleaner or petrol.....let it soak for a while. Oil it with maintenance spray, refit and see if the problem goes. If it does, the ISV is shot, replace it.

You also need to replace that regulator hose because there should only be 4 bar in the rail when the engine hits atmospheric, which it won't do until WOT at high rpm. At idle rail pressure should be 2.5 bar, but yours will be 4, so it's running too rich at low rpm, which won't help your stalling!

Also make sure all other hoses etc are tight and leak free etc.

Failing all that......it'll be the MAF.

Also, which tyres shall I replace my GY F1s with nowadays - the tyre thread goes on and on and on...

Are you still on 15s? Tyres I really like are the Uniroyal Rainsports, Continental Sport Contact 2 and BF Goodrich Profiler G. All of those are good (imo). I'm not a fan of the F1s, least of all the older GSD1s and 2s.

Worry about the tyres when you've sorted the stalling ;-)

Why thank you Mr Owl :lol:

I do like to pass on info I think folk will find useful / interesting / dull ;-)

One thing I've learned about the VR6 since running it with a standalone ECU is what a bl00dy excellent job VW and Bosch did with the standard ECU and map!!

Interesting reading about the fuelling - makes you realise just how complicated it is when you have to do it yourself :?

My only comment is on tyres - I find the Rainsports a bit soggy compared to the Bridgie RE720s I used to have. The Rainsports have loads of grip (spooky how they just go through puddles like they're not there), but they just don't feel as sure-footed. I'm gonna try for something else next time with a slightly stiffer sidewall. God knows when that'll be tho cos I do very few miles now... :lol:

And as you can't get RE720s any more, I've no idea how they stacked up against anything other than the Rainsports.

Definitely cleaning the ISV tonight, must get round to buying replacement clips for the hoses I'll have to remove first.

Kev - terrific feedback - MUCH appreciated.

There's a thousand threads discussing the "random VR6 stalling" problem. Have a dig around. Most of them have long lists of things you should check out before asking again, in yet another thread!

...as if I haven't already done this! Thanks anyway, but I spent hour after hour digging and searching, so thought I'd need to use some piccies to help. I am and always will be careful about searching first.

ISV is currently in a bag of 'Wynnes Carb Cleaner'.

I checked to see it wasn't seized (wasn't), and found the inside was FILTHY.

Gave it a good blast and left it in a bag now. Will re-attach as late as possible before using the car again.

Anyone laying odds on this fixing my cutting out / stalling? Kev seems confident :)

ISV all cleaned and refitted.

Seemed fine but then I had one stall today. Not good since I had none yesterday (before the clean).

Kev, I think it may be something else, although I did read that you would still replace the ISV if a clean up didn't work. How confident are you, as I priced it up today at £190+VAT at local VW parts? That's a lot for me to take a risk on.

Is it worth me paying VW to stick her on VAGCOM? Can I try something with the MAF maybe?

Someone in work suggested knackered CAT. What do we think of this?

ISV all cleaned and refitted.

Seemed fine but then I had one stall today. Not good since I had none yesterday (before the clean).

Kev, I think it may be something else, although I did read that you would still replace the ISV if a clean up didn't work. How confident are you, as I priced it up today at £190+VAT at local VW parts? That's a lot for me to take a risk on.

Is it worth me paying VW to stick her on VAGCOM? Can I try something with the MAF maybe?

Someone in work suggested knackered CAT. What do we think of this?

Have a look around, there might well be someone local who could VAG COM it for a pint. If there isn't anyone local, there might be someone at one of the upcoming shows who could help you out.

Haven't had time to VAGCOM yet, however...

C hasn't stalled in last 2 days (was stalling every journey).

Could it be that the 1 stall I had the day after cleaning the ISV was a glitch I wonder?

Would it be possible for the ISV clean to take a few miles to take effect?

Right sorry to join the thread but seems silly creating another new one when there are already so many, just a couple of quick picture based questions!

isv1.JPG

isv2.JPG

I cleaned it once before but symptoms are slowly coming back, so I want to make sure I do it properly this time.

Andy

I did the 2nd method in your pictures and it SEEMS to have fixed the problem as Kev promised.

Again, cheers Kev - a pint on it's way if I see you in a RR Day again sometime (you won't remember me but we have met before) :)

Problem back. Car stalled and wouldn't stay started for longer than 30 seconds.

Had to call RAC today and got rather lucky...

The fella has worked on several VR6s and come across the Relay 109 problem. He took it out, cleaned it and she fired up straight away. I'll be getting a new one tomorrow.

He reckons the giveaway is that when they won't start, look at the rev counter. It it has no movement, the relay is worth looking at.