Sign in to follow this  
FTM1975

Wheel still droning but its not the bearing

I have just had a bearing changed on my front passanger wheel as it was droning quite badly. Problem is it is still droning quite badly and im due to take it round europe for a month next week!!!!!!

I have noticed that when i hold the steering wheel straight it is pulling loads to the right. Im presuming this is the tracking that is way off but could it also be this that is causing this drone. Apart from that it runs really smoothly. no vibrations or anything.

Any advice greatly taken as have only 7 days till im due to leave!

Cheers

FTM1975

Noisy tyres.

yeah, i had two old Pirellis on the back once and when they got really old and low on tread they made some pretty wierd noises, very similar to a bearing.

If it's pulling to one side too then it could well be the tyre.

Try swapping the wheels over to see if the noise follows the tyre... (bear in mind most tyres are directional, so make sure the little arrows on them are pointing in the right direction if you swap stuff about).

someone told me this can sometimes be down to worn dampers. causes the wheels to vibrate up and down more than they shoould or something along those lines

I think that since you're in a hurry you're going to have to take it to a garage and tell them to "find the problem and fix it". The Corrado forum isn't the best place for getting diags done in a hurry ...

Had a similar problem with my rear tyres last MOT. Thought it was the wheel bearing, turned out that both rear tyres had gone out of shape on the inside edge. Replaced the tyres and hey presto the noise has gone. Funnily enough, the noise has returned for this years MOT, so I'm assuming it is the tyres again!!

I had the same problem with my rear tyres. Got the bearings changed, but the noise was still there. The car then failed the MOT due to the rears tyre being mishaped, due to the rear axle bushes being worn. Had the bushes and rear tyres changed and its so quiet I cant believe it!!

Jack the car up and spin the rear wheels, see if you can notice a mishape.