Sign in to follow this  
dubbprince

OUCH! HAD AN ACCIDENT...HELP PLEASE.

ok basically...this is what happened:

no one involved...thankfully!

goin round a round about at about 35mph...

I braked to take the corner..maybe a bit too much as it slid

and car must of locked...cos it just slid..rearing towards a curb head on!

and its bloody heavy, as you know VW/Karmann didn't skimp on bodywork.

it headed towards the curb...front ways!

i managed to try to stear away and it got the passenger side wheel!

popped the tyre..alloy has a chunk missing about 1inch long!

wheel went back...cos subframe is now bent!

and track rod is also bent..

only just managed to get home with it scrubbing at no end.

u cant even place your finger between arch and wheel..only on passenger side.

pic looks sommit like this: (thanks to james AKA VR6-NOS)

Damage.jpg

can people tell me roughly the cost of the above two things...and anything else i may need to replace?

alloy is re-usable and new tyre is needed.

So far i have Subframe? track rod? do i need a new drive shaft?

Maybe James can help...by the way i added you to my msn list mate.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sanjay. :cry:

Its your suspension arm that is twisted and possibly your driveshaft.

I did the same thing month or so ago.

Is there greasy, oily muck all on your alloy, if so you have bu**ered the CV joint as well.

For the CV joint and suspension arm I paid £200 and iv still to get the driveshaft sorted, its about £170.

Dont know if there is anyone here who knows cheaper, but thats what I paid.

Hope this helps and hope you get it sorted.

DM

cheers...i spoke with james on MSN...he told me definately the following:

new lower arm and lower ball joint- £60ish.

then new subframe...POSSIBLY new drive shaft, but it might not be needed as it looks like the bent subframe is holding the driveshaft back..and is rubbing on the chassis leg.

New tyre...all in all with labour we're lookin at about £250-300 depending on damage to drive shaft...as its £250 new! so 2nd hand its bound to be around £90-130...maybe more.

I'm glad it might only be bent subframe, CV ball joint and lower arm! with about 3hrs labour at £30hr!

Should have the C back before my 21st! :lol:

The subframe is not going to be bent mate,it will take a lot to bend that !!get it to the garage and get them to give you the lowdown,it will more like be ..

Lower arm + ball joint

Tie bar + track rod end

Possible shocker

Possible Drive shaft

But this all depends on the impact,so get it checked out first :wink:

may sound odd, but the prices your quoting are far cheaper than i'd have guessed.

good luck sorting it mate

Thera

cheers guys...i had a good look at the damage just now...changed the wheel to the spare one.

Cause: 17" wheel's tyre was being eaten away by the inner arch!

Resulting in the tyre loosing its grip, thus slipping and causing me to hit the curb!

Theres flakes of rubber sprayed all over the inside arch...photos to follow.

Driveshaft is fine!

Lower arm is also fine...the only thing that isn't fine is the wishbone! thats whats holding my tyre and suspension at an angle!

Subframe is fine too...i didn't realise that is the piece of metal under the engine!

The bit i got it mixed up with was the wishbone...

so just need a new wishbone and probably any other bits to go with it..i.e. bolts and rubber bits.

Where and how much do i get them for?

Can i do it myself...it looks easy enough. Can anyone give me a step by step as to how to remove nackered wishbone and replace it with a new one.

Looks like my cars lower on the front than the back! red springs are being used on front and yellow on back! must mean apex on back and sommit else on front! GMAX maybe...

I can't let this happen again, so anyone got an answer?? can you get 'highering' caps? ahhaha :lol:

You have my sympathy.

Similar thing happpened to me last winter in the snow.

Slid into the kerb at less than 5mph, the wheel took the impact face on :(

£30 or so for a wishbone from ECP (make sure you get it WITH bushes)

£6 for new bolts from VW.

Took me about 2 hours to fit in the freezing cold.

You wheel alignment will be knocked off, so budget £20 to get that done.

Can't help with the suspension question.

Good Luck!

Well here could be the worst case senario, I was driving into a service station on a dual carridgeway in my MK2 Golf Driver about 65 and braked, must have been some deseil from the lorries or somthing. But my wheels locked up. Hit the kerb at the end of the slip road about 40 mph, with wheels turned the same way as the kerb very scary, trashed both front wheel, and when you looked front on the wheels looked like this |--\ not too good. Anyways had it checked out by garages and stuff and they all said it was a write off. Found a nice garage who told me i had bent the subframe (it did have a big crease in it :oops: ) and that i had bent the hub on one side. So i brought a MK2 subframe and whole front suspention for 60 quid from a scrappie and replaced all, car was fine afterwards, oh and a couple of steelies from the scrappies as well. Car was good as new.

I know this was for a MK2 golf but it shows that they are very strong.

I'll stop now

BeavisJem

Your replies mean a lot to me...this is good. As i don't have a haynes available for the MK2 golf, i only have one from my dear old mk4 polo...same sorta thing.

I'll be trying to have a go myself!

If its easy enough might even have a go at replacing the other sides wishbone so they're both new!

The bushes and bolts i'll get too...it seems only the wishbone needs replacing, everything else is normal.

I'll post some photos up 2morro...and contact ECP about replacements.

Cheers guys!

Sanj.

Hi mate.

I had a similar problem on a honda civic i used to have, the wishbone, strut was all changed but no difference because the chasis was misaligned cause of the impact.

The corrado is a stronger car no doubt but still be prepared to get the chasis jigged and suspension geometry checked once all the replacement parts are on.

hope that helps mate.

Hiya Sanj

New lower arm £22

New ball joint £10

Track rod ends £8.50

outer cv joint £40 + £15 surcharge if the old ones casing is shattered

Front shocker depends weather you can get away with an insert or not I think the complete unit is about £40 and the insert about £25

These are just the prices I can recall I can get you a full up to date price list if you want. I would take it to a garage and get them to do a free estimate on your car and then you will know what to change if you want to do it yourself!!

ok..already begun..

Ordered a Wishbone and bushes combined from GSF and necessary bolts, nuts and clips from VW.

Also got a rod end just in case...

take a look at the pics of what the damage is:

ppl...can i angle grind the 'sanded' parts that the wheel caused by rubbing inside the arch?

How thick is this metal? Just so i don't have this problem again!

Also...as you can see the drive shaft remained straight, lower arm is fine too along with anti roll bar...even the strut hasn't moved much (last pic).

Anyone got a step by step on how i can perform this wishbone change with ease??

Work begins thursday morning...max it shoudl take me is 3hrs!

What is this 'SHOCKER' business?? not familiar with this part...

Thanks!

Sanj.

Hello Mate

By those pics of yours its just th wishbone that is bent ( like a banana :lol: )

Your tie bar looks straight

And that rubbing is cos of the well bent wishbone (lowerarm)

Here are some pics that might help you do the job yourself mate

BLimey mate.. hope you get it all sorted..

I remeber my old inner plastic wheel arches were all worn like that, they stopped after a while :lol:

Goodluck.. :)

ok wishbone, linking rod for anti roll bar and all bolts/bushes have been replaced...all lookin very new!

BUT...what is the reason behind the following:

the wheels remain straight BUT the steering wheel is at a constant angle.

i haven't had it fully looked at yet...i.e. tracking and camber are being done monday.

Can i drive the car or is it safer not to??

Also...my drive shaft isn't bent, but it can't of come out of my engine could it? i mean easily? just need to make sure everything else is ok.

cheers!

Sanj.

I t will be safe to drive,but as long as you dont go to mad in it untill you get it sorted the worst you can do is scrub off your tyres..and it probably wont handle the same..so be reserved

As for the drive shaft,jack the car up on the side you bumped ,lie down and look at the shaft and turn the wheel and watch the shaft to see if it runs true ,you will know if its bent.. :D

did a similar thing avoiding a suicidal old lady crossing the street in a '03 wolfsburg jetta 20vT.. chipped. was $6000 incl. two new BBS rims OUCH glad i didn't have to cover THAT bill :lol:

good luck to you mate. shit happens.

thanks guys...good to know its ok to drive at a slower speed.

The drive shaft isn't bent at all...already span the disc around while wheel was off and watched if it was.

I just needed to know, incase i get more problems from driving it before a mechanic looks at it properly.

Its booked in for monday, so should be able to get it all fixed and new on monday.

Thanks again!

Sanj.