Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Recommend a High Foam wash

Ok just finished my last bottle of Autoglym shampoo which seems not to be give too much foam towards the end of the bottle.

Maybe just down to the fact that I'm using a Cotton mitt rather than a sponge now but it just seemd to lose all the foam in the bucket after 1/2 car!

Any-one recommend a decent Hi-foam car shampoo for two bucket use?

Jon, get yourself some Megs Hyper Wash or Shampoo Plus. The hyper wash is most popularly used as the dillution rate is something like 400:1 so lasts forever, and you buy it in a gallon bottle. AG Shampoo has never been a very foamy shampoo really, but at the end of the day when just washing a car you dont necessarily need foam as you are using the shampoo for the lubrication really. You only really want something foamy as a pre-soak in which case the best is Snow Foam but Chemical Guys Maxi Suds is also great stuff (and smells amazing!). I actually mix a bit of maxi suds in with my normal shampoo when washing and it seems to keep a nice amount of foam.

All purchased from http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk :)

Cheers Rob...

My problem is no hosepipe so the cars have to be rinsed down with buckets of water first so want something to help "Float" the dirt off the paint... and the Fabric roof of the Cabby too....

In that case mate what i would do is get some snow foam or maxi suds (you can get snow foam in a gallon as well where as maxi suds is quite a small bottle) and really blast the water out the tap so its very foamy and then cover the car in it, let it soak for a few mins and then rinse off again and then start washing the car properly with some shampoo and 2 buckets etc. The pre-soak/rinse should budge most the visible dirt from the car, obviously it would work better with a hose and the likes of a superspray for example but buckets should still do the trick.

For the hood you could use some All Purpose Cleaner on it. You can get a gallon for about £3 from Aldi, thats where i get mine from. Its a bit weak though so you might need a stronger dillution then indicated.

I think i also heard somewhere that too hot water doesnt allow the foam to dwell on the paint, so colder water or just warm water works best and then you can go quite warm for the actual wash.

Sorry to hi jack this thread, but if you're not doing the whole wash / prep / polish / wax thing, should you use a shampoo/wax or is a normal shampoo fine to use?

Sorry to hi jack this thread, but if you're not doing the whole wash / prep / polish / wax thing, should you use a shampoo/wax or is a normal shampoo fine to use?

Yeah just shampoo is all you need, tbh i wouldnt use a 'Wash n Wax' shampoo anyway as its not really concentrated on safely washing the car and the 'wax' in it wont last 5 minutes. IMO you should always wash the car in a safe shampoo and then add a layer of wax yourself after with the occassional polish as well to restore the paint.

Rob, recon I can use these in one of those 5ltr "Garden sprayers" you know the hand-pump ones?

Just thinking may save some bucket-carrying effort as can get one for foam and one for rinse....

Rob, recon I can use these in one of those 5ltr "Garden sprayers" you know the hand-pump ones?

Just thinking may save some bucket-carrying effort as can get one for foam and one for rinse....

Yes mate thats a good idea. I use one of them with some fairly low concentrated APC in, i use mine just to spray round the lower half of the doors, wheels, arches, door shuts etc. So as a pre-soak with some shampoo in would be a good idea as it would mist the shampoo on which means it would hold to the paint to soak the dirt as apposed to just chucking a bucket of soapy water over it which wouldnt give time to soak into the dirt much.

I got mine from Lidl for a fiver.

I got mine from Lidl for a fiver.

You such a Pikey! ;)

Should have gone to Aldi!

I get my APC from Aldi, but there's a Lidl round the corner from me and knew they were doing them so :p

Personally i've always used wash/wax on every car i have had and the finish and wax protection have been first rate. Ok, i still hand wax when i can, but in the wet winter months this gets neglected more which is where the wash/wax steps in, and my paintwork repels water for weeks.

I use the Simoniz wash/wax you have to shake to mix the wax. This stuff seems to have a high wax content which you can feel between your fingers, and is not expensive either.