Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Complete Suspension/Brake/Disc/Bush Overhall-What do i need

Hi guys, after 3 years of fairly care free driving i am going to throw some money at my Corrado.

After replacing the rear wheel bearings i noticed the rear discs and brakes are on their way out, the rear suspension is looking a bit sorry for its self, and the car gets twitchy above certian speeds, apparently the rear beam bushes. Also got an advisory for the fron't anti rollbar bushes on the MOT.

What i'm asking is what i need to get to completly overhall the brakes, discs, suspension etc.

Ok things i think i need

Suspension - Probably going to go with Koni Collies with 30mm drop - Anyone know best place to buy Koni's

Discs - No idea what brand Vented/solid/VAG/GSF Going to need all round. Going to get new ABS rotors.

Pads - Always used padgid fast road - Any other to consider?

Bushes - Lots of them i think - Can anyone tell me how many? OEM or Poly?

Anti roll bar bushes - Replace the anti roll bars or just replace the bushes? Aftermarket Antiroll bars any better?

Top mounts for the suspension - VAG or is there a better alternitive?

Is there anything else i might need?

Also thinking or refurbing my brake calipers, they are not seized and i have MK3 Golf ones on the back.

Thank is advance for any help/suggestions.

Cheers

Beavisjem

VAG for all the bushes and top mounts. On the front it's easier to buy new wishbones with the bushes fitted.

Also consider the ARB bushes and drop links, plus the bottom ball joints and trackrod ends.

As to disks, any drilling or grooves is largely cosmetic on a road car, so new disks or a big brake kit is the way to go.

Oh, and new brake hoses.

HTH

As above - I'd go for all-VAG bushes. There's a reason why the Corrado got such great reviews about it's handling...

I don't think you can get Pagid FR pads any more (might be wrong), but from my experience using them - they're dusty as heck. Despite previous reputations of them being shockingly bad, the new EBC Greenstuff pads are supposed to be very good and far less dusty.

Eibach ARBs are supposed to be better than the standard ones, but I'd have a search to see what you think.

Brakes wise, I'd go for either VAG disks or alternatively the Black Diamond ones seem to get pretty good reviews. It would certainly be worth changing the brake fluid, as it's probably not been done for a long time. 5.1 is the best stuff to go for, but not hugely cheap, but even new bog standard DOT 4 will hopefully improve the brake feel a bit.

I think you've got to spend a fair amount of money (£600 for the Brembos?) for any kind of upgrade to the callipers, but S2 brakes or Seat Brembos apparently fit. Without bigger brakes, there seems very little need to bother with braided hoses, but check what the hoses look like and get them changed if they're starting to look a bit ropey.

If they haven't been done before, it could be worth investing in some calliper rebuild kits for the front callipers, which gives you a new set of seals and grease. Either way, I'd definitely get a set of carrier repair kits as the boots on the slider pins often split, which causes the pins to rust and cease - particularly on the back of the car. While you're in there, it'd also be worth checking that both of the handbrake cables still move freely as the boots can also split on them and also cause ceasage.

Id run KW over koni's every time, I agree that you cant go far wrong with OEM bush's all round if you want to keep the car feeling as subtle as possible. Pm me if you would like quote on the parts as we have some great prices on OEM parts at the moment.

R.

so it VAG top mounts, & bushes that come reccomended then. Do polly ones have any advantages? Last longer perhaps??

Also with using coilovers (i will be fitting some soon) are they going to stress VAG stuff?? confused!!! :?

louder as in squeaking like mad? or cast thunder into the cab through vibration? :lol:

cheers for the reply....

Pretty sure I read a recent post saying that Poly bushes actually tend to last less time .. all that vibration caused by the squeaking/creaking can't be good for them.

So in other words: they're less compliant, noisier, harsher and last a shorter time. So why the hell bother?

If you want to uprate bushes, look at similar components from newer VWs - e.g. wishbone bushes from an R32 or something like that. Compliance, longevity AND improved track control.

i think you lot are being very harsh towards poly bushes - i have used powerflex in the past and found them to be very good - they WILL last longer than standard ones as they are tougher and never rot - there's simply no way that they cant last longer!

as for vibrations, i was privilaged enough to get a ride in chazrads supercharged vr6 with kw variant 1's fitted a while ago and the ride felt almost stock - i was very impressed with the compliance of the ride - as i will happily admit that on some, probably most cars - powerflex etc make the ride noticably more harsh

it may be just to the quality of the kw's, but i thought the poly bushes were very good when fitted to his car

i have also had good experiences with them in the past when using them on cars for the track

i will also have my car back on the road hopefully in max 2 weeks time - fitted with powerflex, so i will report back to you nearer the time...

A couple of points:

If you're going to go with coilovers, you really should look at stronger top mounts. Yes, the VW ones are OE etc etc, but they'll wear out alot quicker with coilovers. Bonrath do them. I had a set from an internet company (might have been Motorsport World (MSW)) and fitted them with myu KWs this Summer. No complaints, and will last longer than stock top mounts for sure. Cost about £90 for the set of 4 though.

Powerflex bushes vs standard. Again, you pays your money. Powerflex is going to be harsher and more noisy, but they 'give' alot less than standard and will defo last longer, as they are designed to cope with the stresses of high performance driving. That's why they get used in motorsport. If you want to generally improve the handling of the car - as fitting coilovers would suggest - then go for something like Powerflex. If you want OE compliance, then stick with the standard suspension setup. The fact is that there are going to be down sides to every modification you make. Its up to you to decide if the benefits outweigh them.

...Oh, and don't fit Konis. Koni coilovers have dropped in many people's estimation recently. The build is not what it used to be. There are stories of people having to send back consecutive new sets of coilovers as they were all faulty. KW make the best coilovers for the price at the moment. And I'm not saying that just because I have got them fitted. I took lots of advice before plumping for these, and they're great. They also have plastic adjustable collars for adjusting the ride height, so they won't seize (as is possible if they are made of metal), and the bodies are fully stainless so they won't rust. You'd be mad to go for anything else, if your coilover budget stretches to at least £600. (Konis will cost you IRO £600).

Dinkus is right on the EBC pad issue. They used to be poor, but now have improved. I have an older set of EBC's on my 325i daily driver and they ain't up to much frankly. Certainly not much better than standard OE BMW pads. However, Vince sells EBC and recommends them, now that Pagid FR pads are unavailable. As a result, when upgrading to 288s, I fitted a newer set on the C and they're absolutely fine and pretty effective.

Just my thoughts and opinions, based on my experiences, based on others advice. :D

Cheers guys,

Few more things to consider there....

Id be very greatful if you report back your findings Pete.....

Ive already made the purchase of H&R RSSs Chazrad, so yes im keen on uprating the feel. Ill look into the bonrath top mounts & cheers for the info. When you say powerflex are noisy, what sort of noise are we talking about?

Again many thanks 8)

Just to confirm what a couple of the guys have said. I loved the Pagid fast road pads on my golf but as they're no longer available, I went for greenstuff pads. They've been on maybe 8is months now and I'm really happy with them, I reckon probably better than the pagids.

the bushes themselves aren't noisy its just that they transfer more vibrations etc through to the car than the OE ones. therefore this makes not only the ride feel a little harsher, but it also causes the car to "rattle" around a bit more - i.e you will notice any loose trim etc more than you would with OE equipment...

I don't believe the expected life span of bushes poly or OEM is an issue considering the fact that everyone's C is at least 12 years old and if you're replacing some now it's a 95% chance they'll be the first one's the car has ever had. If new ones last 10 or 12 years it makes little to no difference.

Also, it doesn't matter what you fit, the ride/handling will be better cos you'll be comparing new poly/OEM ones with the knacked out old ones.

I don't believe the expected life span of bushes poly or OEM is an issue considering the fact that everyone's C is at least 12 years old and if you're replacing some now it's a 95% chance they'll be the first one's the car has ever had. If new ones last 10 or 12 years it makes little to no difference.

Also, it doesn't matter what you fit, the ride/handling will be better cos you'll be comparing new poly/OEM ones with the knacked out old ones.

Mate, you're absoultely right about this. Anything will be better than the old, dried out, tired bushes. But i'd still say go for Powerflex as you're uprating the suspension with coilovers. The down side will be the slight increase in vibration and possible rattles...not noise from the bushes per se.

Bonrath top mounts will see you right and last longer than OE top mounts which will split after 1-2 yrs if you fit them with coilovers, due to the increased forces. Ask John Mitchell at JMR in Sussex for advice if needed. He's well respected and has loads of experience fitting parts to modded 'dubs (He has his own 16vT Corrado) You'll find him on the interweb. HTH.

Its looking like Bonrath mounts then.

Cheers guys, I did wonder about OE items taking the strain against stiffer coilies 8)

hey there just to let you know that i'm not getting a complete set of powerflex now - much to my frustration the friend who was supposed to me sorting me out a deal so i could get some really cheap hasn't bothered his arse for over two months, so i f*cked him off and spoke to uncle vince at stealth to order some myself.

after speaking to vince, he's not a fan of the "crashy" ride that the powerflex produced and would only recommend them for the rear if you want to go poly.

consequently im now getting some uprated bushes for the front from a TT, powerflex for the rear beam and replacing all the others (anti-roll-bar, steering rack etc) with new standard jobbies.

in theory the whole lot should be with me before next weekend, so all being well, the car may well move again next weekend - will no doubt have to wait until the weekend after to get it tracked up-due to the opening hours of the geometry place, but i'm really hoping to be driving it down the road again (FINALLY) next weekend so i will report back with my findings.

if you are still unsure after listening to everyone else's ramblings (my own included), then give uncie vince a shout at stealth - have spoken with him a couple of times over some issues now and not only is he stupidly switched on, but he's really helpful - a pleasure to deal with :)

Cheers for the heads up Griff.

i planned on asking Vince @ yesterdays rolling road day but he was fair busy with 'rados then loads of Audi A2s!!

Will the TT items fit straight on then??

yes the uprated TT bushes will press straight in, in place of the old ones - would recommend getting a garage or someone with a press to sort you out with this though, just to make sure they do a proper job - also i'm unsure about cost as my friend is sorting me out for free, but the front bush in the lower arms doesn't have a metal sleeve - the rubber is just forced into place, so you will probably struggle with this unless you have the right kit

quick update - was gonna get my car back on the road last weekend, but demon thieves sent me the wrong fecking bushes for my rear beam.

consequently i'm now hoping to get the car sorted this weekend, provided that the correct bits arrive - so i will report back for you.

just a reminder, i'm gonna be running tt bushes on the front wishbones and powerflex on the rear beam (as suggested by vince)...

Nice 1 buddy!!

The front items from the TT. You wouldnt have the part numbers would you??

Im very eager to see how you get on :)

Cant wait to get mine sorted......

hey there buddy, i don't have the part number i'm afraid, but if you go into to an audi dealer and ask for the front wishbones bushes for a TT they will ask you if it's after a certain year or chassis number (can't remember which) and go for the later (and i think more expensive ones) as they are the solid rubber ones without the cut-outs in. i think these chappies are for the 3.2 TT which is obviously heavier and needs more support up front