Sign in to follow this  
Monzadave

My 91 Rado G60, 1.9 rebuild finished (no 56k)

Well, a could weeks ago i made the trip all the way up to Rotherham (from Exeter) to look at Griffs Rado G60 that he put up for sale on here, and evidently bought it :D

Now the car was less then perfect, with a broken ignition switch, and a few dents, but i thought it wouldn't take much to make it perfect, and so we agreed on 4.5k for the car :D .

Now on the way home i was unable to start the car, and ended up bumping it several times, but this was due to the ignition switch, so i wasn't too annoyed. Then while pulling out of a service station i pressed the clutch down and it only came up a 1/4 of the way back up again, and i couldn't engauge any gears. shitting myself a bit i stuck my foot under the pedal and popped the pedal back up and all was fine :D .

So after that the rest of the 240 mile drive was fine (but for not being able to stop the car of fear of it not starting again).

I got home and the car wouldn't start at all, so i left it and waited for monday until i could get the new ignition switch.

I got the new switch and fitted it (taking out the poorly installed starter button) and all was fine. God knows why the starter button was fitted in the first place, when all that was needed was a new VAG ignition switch :?

So after i fitted the new switch i went out for a drive with a couple people, and did another 40miles or so, started to head out to my mates house (oliver Elworthy on here) and on the way the oil light and buzzer came on, so i stopped straight away and phone Olly, he told me to check a few things, like temp and if there was any oil in it (i topped it up after i got home from buying it), all seemed ok, temp was 106, and there was oil in the engine. But taking no chances Olly came out and toed me to his house.

We checked both the high and low oil senders but nothing changed, the buzzer was still coming on. So we left it for the night and planned to take the sump off the following night to have a look to see what was going on.

Heres the results of taking the sump off the next night:

What we found in the sump...

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

The shells:

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Throwing the pump back on

IMG_0931.jpg

The rado flying

IMG_0930.jpg

So, after finding that the new car that i have just bought has to be rebuilt, i was less then a happy bunny. So i rang up Griff to see if i could get some kind of good will gesture off of him, concidering i'd had the car for 5 days and done 300 miles. Griff said on the phone that he had already spent the 4.5k i paid for the car, and he was skint, so couldn't even send me a small amount to help pay for the rebuild. :(

Next I got in touch with Monkey about a spare bottom end that he said he had, and me and Olly went up to pay him a visit to have a look:

Monkey was busy when we got to his garage.

CIMG0369.jpg

Working on his very own flying Rado :p lol.

CIMG0368.jpg

Then someone else pull up...

CIMG0370.jpg

Was good to see Jimbo again, not too sure he was too happy to see us though :lol:

CIMG0367.jpg

Picked up Monkey's spare block for a great price (cheers again monkey) and me and Olly were off again

CIMG0372.jpg

We got back and had a look at the shells and crank, and they were fine :D saving me a job of having mine ground down :D

Then after a couple hours of bits and bobs and a bit of cleaning we had this:

CIMG0373.jpg

CIMG0374.jpg

CIMG0375.jpg

CIMG0376.jpg

CIMG0377.jpg

Saw the rado taking a peak at her new heart too :p

CIMG0378.jpg

After aquiring a new bottom end, it was time to take the old engine out of the rado.

So me and my girlfriend Lau went out to the elworthy's and found olly had already taken the front off the Rado and was already nice and greasy lol.

CIMG0387.jpg

CIMG0388.jpg

CIMG0386.jpg

CIMG0389.jpg

CIMG0390.jpg

Once i was suited up i helped with the undoing of all the pipes and wiring connecting the engine to the car. After taking off the intercooler olly unbolted the rs outlet on the charger to have a look inside, and found...

CIMG0394.jpg

CIMG0395.jpg

CIMG0396.jpg

A layer of grease inside the outlet of the charger, this isn't good, especially since the charger was supposed to have been rebuilt to stage 4 only 4k ago, but we wont know whats exactly wrong until Olly splits the charger (not yet).

While all this was going on Lau was enforced to clean the new block (coz i was rubbish at it and did a crap job last time). heres lau putting some elbow grease into it :D

CIMG0399.jpg

CIMG0402.jpg

Next me and olly stapped up the rado's engine ready for the crane to lift it out...

CIMG0398.jpg

and

CIMG0404.jpg

then...

CIMG0405.jpg

Woo

CIMG0407.jpg

CIMG0409.jpg

leaving

CIMG0410.jpg

having a closer look at the empty engine bay you could see the it was less then clean :? (another cleaning job for Lau :p ).

CIMG0412.jpg

Oliver then jumped into the bay to have a closer look at the "stevie wonder" lamba wiring,

CIMG0416.jpg

CIMG0414.jpg

And Olly also found some shoddy wiring connected to the dizzy plug that when into the cabin, maybe for a shift light.

CIMG0418.jpg

By now Lau had finished cleaning the new block and was onto painting :D

CIMG0419.jpg

CIMG0420.jpg

Then Oliver sent me into the bay with some brake cleaner to see what was underneath the grease, and i'm happy to say that the grease has saved the subframe from any kind of rust, result.

CIMG0421.jpg

CIMG0422.jpg

Lau's results of painting, turned out awesome :D

CIMG0428.jpg

End f the night this is how we left her till next time,

CIMG0432.jpg

CIMG0434.jpg

Oliver after a hard nights work (cheers again Oliver),

CIMG0436.jpg

Next i need to contact Darren at Gwerks for some parts, and the cleaning of the lump and bay can start :D

Till next time...

Cheers

Dave

lot sof silly problems with this car aswell as teh big ones,, running prob that griff was having was dude to the front engine mount breaking and knocking the throttle closed switch off line,, a spimple adjustment with a pair of pliers here to bentd it back to where it was would of avoided the need for the taped WOT switch,,

there is also a strange wire coming from teh hall sender feed on teh dizzy to inside teh cabin,, maybe for a previous shift light or a bodge round something,,

lambda wiring above speaks for itself

coolant flange on top of rad broken..

similar wiring woes on the headlight loom, its an abomination,, and for some reason all the flanges have been cut off teh downpipe under teh car (which is blowing at the top flexi i might add) , and several welded pipes make its way to teh center section,, a crude stab at a cat bypass pipe i would imagine,, tehre are 2 lambdas under tehre one thats disconnected in teh stock location (prob siezed in) and one just before teh first silencer that is kinda wired in sort of..

wish i had teh time to go with dave to view the car,, i was at goodwood festival of speed at the time..

sure its nice looking but its like a supermodel with hidden ghonnorea,, once you take teh clothes off you find all sorts of stuff you just dont want to see............

I will leave no stone unturned with theis car and it will be an awesome G60 once i am done,, but its gonna cost allot of £££££ to get it up to spec and sorted..

bad news about teh charger too, looks like its done an oil seal for somoe reason,, wouldnt be crankcase pressure venting oil back into it as she is running a boost return..

trouble with private sales i suppose,, :shock: :shock:

as i say though it sure is a pretty looking car!! 8) 8)

£4.5k for a G60 that needed an ignition switch and had a few dents even before you discovering the engine needed a rebuild!!!!......sorry but you were well and truly done there...........very poor show that Griff never offered some of your money back

cracking rebuild thread though

well thats a shock mate!!!! :shock:

thats not how u want the ownership of a new car to start,i'd have been gutted :(

looks like ya gonna be gettin it all sorted,keep us informed on the charger front as we both went for them done around the same time,an that doesnt look good :?

£4.5k for a G60 that needed an ignition switch and had a few dents even before you discovering the engine needed a rebuild!!!!......sorry but you were well and truly done there...........very poor show that Griff never offered some of your money back

cracking rebuild thread though

he should have had a trip down the road to donny an made me an offer on mine while he was in southyorkshire :) i might have sold seen as i'm pissed off we people scrapin me rear bumper :lol:

I can tell my G60 is probably gonna end up going the same way.... It's just a feeling I have. I'm gonna go to fix one thing and find a million other things wrong in the process.

Great work guys, wish my other half was even remotely interested in the VR never mind joining in on the rebuild 8)

Total bummer with all that's wrong but as you say private sale :?

Surely if the chargers just been rebuilt :? there must be some kind of warranty?

Surely if the chargers just been rebuilt :? there must be some kind of warranty?

The work on the charger was done in 2005, so i'm guessing its out of any warranty that jabba may have put on it :(

Two words.... "Jabba Rebuild" ..... This would make me very shy of any g-lader...

Greeny you may want to think about getting yours down to Darren ASAP looking at the results of this "Rebuild" ....

Two words.... "Jabba Rebuild" ..... This would make me very shy of any g-lader...

Greeny you may want to think about getting yours down to Darren ASAP looking at the results of this "Rebuild" ....

if i get down to see daz i want be leavin we a glader :lol:

griff used to run the green cotton filter for a while,then returned to the airbox after readin all the horror stories,i did the same an ditched my jabba induction kit to be on the safe side :)

just out of interest how much has he had to spend on the engine since buyin it?i wouldn't mind gettin my engine rebuilt just for the piece of mind

we are looking at about £1000 - £1500 to get everything we want done,, and thats with me doing all the tricky bits and labour related stuff for free,,

if you were going to a garage you would be spending muchious ££££££££££££

thats shockin mate!!!!!

when i need mine doin ya gonna do my tricky bits for free :D

hmm nope,,

£25 an hour and your sorted,, thats cheap

If only i had the time,,

seems to be a full time job keeping my own stuff up to my standards!!!

Yes, it is shocking. If i wanted to spend 6k on a car i'd have bought an S2.

yep we have a bad egg here but will be an awesome G60 once we are done,,

get saving up dave may aswell take it to same spec as mine whilst we are at it,, ££££££££££££££££££

Yes, it is shocking. If i wanted to spend 6k on a car i'd have bought an S2.

like i say mate,i'd be gutted in your shoes

all i can say on griffs behalf is that i dont think he would have sold it if he knew this was around the corner,its a shame he hasn't posted up really to say his piece

I'd be very distressed about this. But... It looks like you'll have a good strong car that you will know inside and out by the end of it. :thumbleft: Every cloud and all that.

The garage looks lovely Olly, I'm lucky in having a couple of barns to work in during the summer and autumn, but I'd like a nice concrete floor. Might buy a 2 post lift one day. They're only fetching a couple of hundred these days...

The garage looks lovely Olly, I'm lucky in having a couple of barns to work in during the summer and autumn, but I'd like a nice concrete floor. Might buy a 2 post lift one day. They're only fetching a couple of hundred these days...

thanks we built it ourselves can fit 5 cars in there no problem :D 8)

Bit of a late update, but i've only just got the pics off my camera :? :p

On Thursday me, Olly and Lau decided to crack on with the Rado, so we went out Ollys and donned our overalls ready to get greasy once again :D

Me and olly shoved the old engine onto a make shift engine frame, and started unbolting everything, as we are no longer using the block from that engine.

(here comes a shed load of pics :D )

CIMG0811.jpg

CIMG0812.jpg

CIMG0813.jpg

CIMG0814.jpg

Inlet off

CIMG0815.jpg

Gearbox came off easily, but was pretty greasy,

CIMG0816.jpg

CIMG0817.jpg

Ramdon bits start piling up lol

CIMG0818.jpg

The head looked pretty good

CIMG0819.jpg

Didn't take too long to gut the old block,

CIMG0820.jpg

CIMG0823.jpg

bits and pieces, bits and bobs :D

CIMG0821.jpg

CIMG0822.jpg

While me and olly were playing in grease, Lau was cleaning it out of the bay :D

CIMG0824.jpg

CIMG0825.jpg

She did an awesome job, and it came up awesome :D

Then i started on the gearbox, sooooooo very greasy

CIMG0831.jpg

found a nice place to keep the beer :D Woo

CIMG0832.jpg

Heres Lau's finished work :D

CIMG0835.jpg

After a good clear up we were finished for the night :D .

Since then Oliver has stripped the head and the new block so i can take then for machining on Monday :D

And me and Lau have gone out and had a good go at cleaning off those dirty brakets and bits and bobs, ready for painting :D

Stay tuned for updated soon :D