Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

fixing foam bits

this isn't related to corrado's but I know theres some good bodywork skills amongst the members so I thought it would be worth asking...

My new motor has a boot spoiler which is totally split at the two rear mounting points, where the screws go through the boot lid in to the spoiler. As a result its all loose and obviously needs fixing. From what I can see its made from some fairly solid yellow foam type substance and I was wanting to know the best way of fixing it. Would something like foam adhesive work and hold well enough? it looks like someones had a go in the past with what appears to be no-more-nails!

See what happens when you down grade to a pikey BMW? You get a foam spoiler instead of a nice metal one like you got on the Corrado :lol:

What about that "No more gaps" stuff? That's a hard setting foam...might work??

I'd thought about that too, like that liquid cement type stuff, I just have a feeling with the spoiler material being pretty pourus its going to be hard to get it to bond.

and here I was thinking a spoiler that doesn't go up and down would be less hassle! its all well and good til the bloody thing falls off :(

nice metal one like you got on the Corrado

Isn't the Corrado one plastic?!

nice metal one like you got on the Corrado

Isn't the Corrado one plastic?!

Yeah it is :oops:

I hear axes work well Chris... :lol:

TBH its a bit of a 'big gay spoiler' for my tastes anyway (although its the one from the m3) so if I cant cheaply and easily fix it I'll probably get the bolt holes filled and sprayed and got without, its only a 316 FFS, despite my best efforts I've not managed to get the back out yet so I doubt it needs any extra downforce really! :lol:

Judging by the gouges and scratches on my Rado spoiler, it looked like aluminium to me? Could be plastic though. Having stripped the whole flimsy thing down to component parts, I'm surprised the thing doesn't snap off at 100mph and bury itself in someone's radiator!

'tis definitely moulded plastic. Pretty hefty duty plastic mind, but still plastic.

I agree with you on the spoiler mech tho - it's flimsy as hell! :lol: