Sign in to follow this  
Laughingboy

Head rattle on a 16v KR

Right guys got a problem that I need some help with.

Notice a substantial rattle coming from the Rado the other day.

As I was on the way to Yans I thoguht I'd get a second set of ears to it so I let him have a listen as well. I originally thought it could be the timing chain, but after me and Yan had a good listen the noise is coming from all over the head and not just one side. Yan reckoned the chain was ok. The car is a 1991 1.8 16v KR, around 110k and had a hard life from the previous owner. It right across the rev range and doesn't change when the engine has warmed up.

I'm finally back from working in the south of France for 3 weeks (Yeah... a real pain but someone has to do it!) So its time to take the rocker cover off and have a nose.

My question is, has anyone had this problem before or have any suggestions as to what to check as this will hopefully save me some time when I get the tools out! I'm thinking camshaft problems but as to how to fix this or check, I'm unsure.

Any advise would be great.

Right guys got a problem that I need some help with.

Notice a substantial rattle coming from the Rado the other day.

As I was on the way to Yans I thoguht I'd get a second set of ears to it so I let him have a listen as well. I originally thought it could be the timing chain, but after me and Yan had a good listen the noise is coming from all over the head and not just one side. Yan reckoned the chain was ok. The car is a 1991 1.8 16v KR, around 110k and had a hard life from the previous owner. It right across the rev range and doesn't change when the engine has warmed up.

I'm finally back from working in the south of France for 3 weeks (Yeah... a real pain but someone has to do it!) So its time to take the rocker cover off and have a nose.

My question is, has anyone had this problem before or have any suggestions as to what to check as this will hopefully save me some time when I get the tools out! I'm thinking camshaft problems but as to how to fix this or check, I'm unsure.

Any advise would be great.

I could be a complete tard....but, the KR doesn't have a chain, it has a toothed belt hence it couldn't have been that.

Probably tappets buddy, they're hydraulic and tend to wear... get a stethoscope on it (i'm being serious!) and listen to the rocker cover, you'd be surprised what you can make out.

if you don't have one, use a spanner or something. you can hear the vibrations through the metal...just don't injure yourself!

The KR does have a chain linking the 2 camshafts together, but if its coming from all over the head, sounds doubtful that would be the cause.

(Although the sound could transmit i suppose)

Tappets sounds like a safer bet...(but the noise from those is very distinctive)

Defiantly not tappets, there were already noisy and on the sort list! This rattle is far louder and more random then tappets. Hard to describe really, sounds kinda like nails in a tin! :shock:

Defiantly not tappets, there were already noisy and on the sort list! This rattle is far louder and more random then tappets. Hard to describe really, sounds kinda like nails in a tin! :shock:

As I said at the time I think you have worn/loose camshaft bearing caps, get the rocker cover off and have a looksie.

As I said at the time I think you have worn/loose camshaft bearing caps, get the rocker cover off and have a looksie.

Remember you saying mate, not sure how to check if they are worn though short of seeing if there is any play in the camshaft... Is this an easy fix?

I'll wait for the flames on this .....

Possible broken Cam?

Have seen an aircooled with a snapped cam.. ran "Ok" but was more noisy than a MF.. split case as we diagnosed broken crank.. boy were we surprised when teh cam came out in two bits!

I'll wait for the flames on this .....

Possible broken Cam?

Have seen an aircooled with a snapped cam.. ran "Ok" but was more noisy than a MF.. split case as we diagnosed broken crank.. boy were we surprised when teh cam came out in two bits!

It wouldn't run on all cylinders with a broken camshaft.

To check if the cam bearings are worn, i'd pull the rocker cover off, and have a quick visual inspection. Probably the only way you could tell for sure is to whip the timing belt off and take the cams out, remove the tappets and replace the cams, you should then feel any play in the bearings. Would be worth checking your oil pressure too. the pump could be on it's last legs and have not supplied enough oil to the head causing accelerated wear of the bearings.

:? Bugger... why do I feel a rebuild coming on here. I've got to do the tappets and timing belt anyway so I can check for wear then. think I'll replace the oil pump as well as a "just in case"

How hard are these camshaft bearings to do? Is it just a case of buying and fitting or is it more involved then that?

Cheers for the help.

Just to add to the gloom and doom, I had a 16v with a piston/ring/serious bore scoring problem on one cylinder, that actually sounded like head noise and we only discovered the head was fine when we whipped it off to take a look. Having said that the 16v heads are pretty noisy anyway and any wear on the valvetrain parts will soon sound pretty bad.

Problem solved and one to bear in mind...

I had to put it in for an MOT and the old boy there recognized the noise straight away. It was crap in the sump blocking the oil feed thus starving oil to the head and the chain tensioner, thus the racket. well an engine flush and two oil changes later and all is well and something to bear in mind for any other valver owners.

Moral of the story... change ya oil more often!! :oops:

Problem solved and one to bear in mind...

I had to put it in for an MOT and the old boy there recognized the noise straight away. It was crap in the sump blocking the oil feed thus starving oil to the head and the chain tensioner, thus the racket. well an engine flush and two oil changes later and all is well and something to bear in mind for any other valver owners.

Moral of the story... change ya oil more often!! :oops:

and do something about problems a bit earlier! ;)

Joys of my job my friend, joys of my job! working away from home 6 days a week and doing 12hr shifts isn't helping the poor old thing much! :(

Anyhow, stop wagging that finger Yan :nono: and get back in that garage and finish that project! :wink: :tongue: