CorradoVR6-Turbo

Ex-Corrado-VR6-Turbo.

dont know mate,the ammount of oil its spat into the inlet manifold and exhaust is quite allot,i suspect i ran lean and there will be signs of it when i pull the engine appart,then if thats the case then i will uprate my pump.

but will post up pics at each stage bud :tongue:

I can always feel it when I run lean..

Car drags,i.e it feels like someone has attached a caravan to the car.I can see it on my afr guage too though.

Its happening to me intermittently when i snap the throttle shut under heavy load. I have to fix that area of my map.

What management is it running?

Sorry too lazy to read through your thread to find out. :roll: :wink:

my AR gauge was normal at the time,but i did have a full throttle issue that i was still sorting out :roll: and im still using stock managment and a little crazydave filter,but this is my weak point,think its about time to get standalone.. :grin:

Cheers Hasan,you get yours sorted then?

No not yet :( Getting a bit cheesed off with it now, feel like giving up tbh...

you not done yet mate! i wont let ya :tongue:

Cheers mate, just what i need, tbh. Thats what i love about this place, there's always someone to give you support when you feel like throwing in the towel :)

good effort james - hope you get it all back together asap matey, sure you will :D

quick question.... i've literally just thought of it now - bit random - a while ago in your thread someone (i think it was lizard racing) mentioned premature bearing wear on your turbo due to the gyroscope type effect of not having the turbo facing straight forwards in relation to the car....

i used to have an impreza wr1, so i know a little about the scooby tuning scene - lots of people wishing to run bigger snails go for the twisted turbo kit on their imprezas; this allows their larger turbo to clear the master cylinder in the same sort of way that you did.

i've not yet heard of any impreza owner suffering premature bearing failure because of this, but i can certainly see why it would happen in theory due to the gyroscope effect...

interesting.................

my AR gauge was normal at the time,but i did have a full throttle issue that i was still sorting out :roll: and im still using stock managment and a little crazydave filter,but this is my weak point,think its about time to get standalone.. :grin:

It was just a quick fix for 8psi to 'get you going' but the proper filter still ain't done.

Mmm, did wonder how the standard MAF and mapping would cope with 12psi. But I guess 12psi on a 140k engine isn't a very nice thing to do....poor VR :) Think you just wanted a new engine anyway eh James?

My main reason for sticking at 8psi is the knock on effect of everything else above that level. Guess you'll be heading for more than 12psi when you get it all back together with a standalone?

Back made a quick recovery James! Glad to see you getting on with it. so whats the plan 2.8 bottom end?

its still not right mate,but i need to work to loosen my back of :tongue: and yes im sticking with the OEM standard bottom end with spacer plate,thats about it mate :wink:

good effort james - hope you get it all back together asap matey, sure you will :D

quick question.... i've literally just thought of it now - bit random - a while ago in your thread someone (i think it was lizard racing) mentioned premature bearing wear on your turbo due to the gyroscope type effect of not having the turbo facing straight forwards in relation to the car....

i used to have an impreza wr1, so i know a little about the scooby tuning scene - lots of people wishing to run bigger snails go for the twisted turbo kit on their imprezas; this allows their larger turbo to clear the master cylinder in the same sort of way that you did.

i've not yet heard of any impreza owner suffering premature bearing failure because of this, but i can certainly see why it would happen in theory due to the gyroscope effect...

interesting.................

Yes that did make me think twice and i was going to change it but left it be,and nothing has happed to the turbo its as new,but im sure production cars that cover huge miles might show some signs of wear?

It was just a quick fix for 8psi to 'get you going' but the proper filter still ain't done.

Mmm, did wonder how the standard MAF and mapping would cope with 12psi. But I guess 12psi on a 140k engine isn't a very nice thing to do....poor VR :) Think you just wanted a new engine anyway eh James?

My main reason for sticking at 8psi is the knock on effect of everything else above that level. Guess you'll be heading for more than 12psi when you get it all back together with a standalone?

Dave ,i know it was a temp fix,but i pushed it to the max,ran 440cc and up to 12psi and it ran fine,but had a full throttle issue,i know i was tempting fate and i didv :( but the engine had 160 k on the clock and i was going to build a fresh lump anyway :cheers:

I stripped the engine apart tonight and as i thought ,it ran lean,The back bank 1,3,5,but mainly 1 and 5 took the brunt,it dosent help when there is bore is well worn to alow the gases to escape more rapidly than a tight bore clearance.

It will not be pushed untill the mapping or standalone is sorted....pic of the piston.. :gag:

Picture116.jpg

:D

cool pics.

Destruction. :twisted:

I wonder how much timing was dialed in at the time.

Have you ever used det cans on this car ?

James you don't hang around. Luv reading your engine builds :grin:

Though you said standard fuel pump man enough for the job :nuts:

Im not taking any chances, got a sytec in tank and bosch inline with SX reg :grin:

M m m m meltdown! :shock: :shock:

I never managed to get 440cc injectors to work properly,the ecu kept throwing a fault code and would then run on TPS / engine speed and really really rich at idle (or limp mode). I reckon 9-10 psi would be OK with the 360's but any more and you'll need standalone or maybe a C2 map? The standard mapping has way to much timing for anything above that level and you hit the knock sensor max retard limit, then exhibit A (see above). Don't know anybody who runs C2 code yet though.

Great pics though James, if a little costly to produce....

The standard mapping has way to much timing for anything above that level and you hit the knock sensor max retard limit,

Yep, as we saw at the rolling road day with Rob's 8 psi Rotrex. Considering his low boost and 9:1 compression, Motronic was still taking 17 degrees timing off!

At full whack and wide open throttle, Motronic runs 36 deg timing. Turbos usually hit peak torque with around 20 deg timing.

then exhibit A (see above).

Quite. Entirely predictable and entirely avoidable.

Don't know anybody who runs C2 code yet though.

I am :)

Don't know anybody who runs C2 code yet though.

I am :)

How are you finding it Kev? Mine will be OBD2 when its done and I was looking into the C2 software.

I don't want to take over James's thread, but so far so good :D I'll do a usual cheesewire, 10 page spread on it very soon :wink:

Hmmm? Also had a timing issue with mine at top end that day running 15psi (although the power was turned up that day for competitive reasons only LOL) where as Im only running 11psi on the road.

Hmm, if only i had loads of cash to splash out all at once then this might not ever have happend? :? but as mentioned before,the engine had 160k on the clock and it held up well for the old girl and i was rebuilding a new engine to put in so i was pushing it and was not concerned about the outcome.Once the new engine was in and ran in then i would have sorted a megasquirt out or something,still no budget for dta,but i want to learn about mapping ect so this will be a good starting point

so anyway to entertain you lot with more pics of the rebuild,a brand new in the crate block and pistons,its 2.8 but that 1mm oversize wont make a dent.

Picture109.jpg

Mmmm brand new block :notworthy:

Hope this one gets some good hard but safe and reliable abuse this time :lol:

And atleast you are getting it sorted quick and not having to drive round in the VR standard with low compression (ie gutless) for ages now like me :( ho hum!

knowing how good you are at buiding engines/turbos/manifolds etc etc, this should be up and running by about Friday :)

Hmm,not mucking about.

New block already.

Someone likes his corrado.

So same setup with less boost until you decide what management to plumb for?

Well as most of the ECUs these days do the same thing pretty much, here's a link to the Jampsort site offering the AustralianGotech MFi ProECU. See what you think.

Starting from £250 with the wiring loom for the VR6 from £150 it's worth a look though the one you'd go for would be the £350 one as that offeres specific timing for individual cylinders which is what the ~VR6 needs in it's fine tuning.

Chris

it's gone all quiet here - not like you james...

or are you going to tell us all tonight that it's in and you have been driving it round for 3 days?! :D

hope all is coming along well with it anyway buddy

Mmmm brand new block :notworthy:

Hope this one gets some good hard but safe and reliable abuse this time :lol:

And atleast you are getting it sorted quick and not having to drive round in the VR standard with low compression (ie gutless) for ages now like me :( ho hum!

seen your thread mate,gutting about the rotrax!? thought they were reliable? you going to get it rebuilt?

knowing how good you are at buiding engines/turbos/manifolds etc etc, this should be up and running by about Friday :)

It would be Karl,but still waiting on bits from the states!!! :(

Lovely new engine, can we ask what that cost is please?

just over 400 quid.... :tongue:

Hmm,not mucking about.

New block already.

Someone likes his corrado.

So same setup with less boost until you decide what management to plumb for?

Cheers bud,i do like my corrado sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much :norty: it will remain as is untill managnt is sorted and engine run in,then the fun starts!! :grin:

it's gone all quiet here - not like you james...

or are you going to tell us all tonight that it's in and you have been driving it round for 3 days?! :D

hope all is coming along well with it anyway buddy

Not yet mate,but just waiting for parts...

Got some random pics for you lot,fitted rods and pistons,intermadiate shaft and ARP head studs,all all the little things that have to go on a bare block!

Picture112.jpg

Picture140.jpg

Cleaned up the box too........... :tongue:

Picture110.jpg

Picture113.jpg

Poor girl...... :(

Picture115.jpg