CorradoVR6-Turbo

Ex-Corrado-VR6-Turbo.

Thanks folks :salute:

The intercooler is an universal one off the net but its a big bugger,hence why i needed to moove the rad back and towards the drivers side so i can run the intercooler pipes besides the rad and chassis leg,this will be the shortest path with less pipework,turbo to intercooler is 2.5" and intercooler to throttle body is 3",unlike my last intercooled VR that had loads of pipework that could go around the world :lol:

This all is working out well but one snag was the headlight fouling the 90deg silicone bend,so some plastic welding was needed to modify the headlight,nothing major.

The bay will look allot less "full" with the charge cooler gone and now i can fit my washer bottle back where it used to belong :clap:

Also the oil cooler had to be mooved,this i will finish off today as with new rad mounts.

Also had a new turbo oil feed line made up from Think Auto,Stainless ends with PTFE overbraid hose as the hose i had was dribbling on the turbo side and was unsafe,the old hose was all Speedflow products,cost more to make a line up than having one made ! :scratch:

Just realised i threw my old washer bottle away a while back.......Doh!

Made more progress during easter,finished off all the metal work on slam pannel,made up new brackets for the oil cooler and finished the radiator brackets,built the front up and all im waiting on now is the piping to finish the job off and it should be done this week.

Also had to flip my throttle body 180deg around for clearance,while i was there i fitted the inlet temp probe to the SP elbow,just need to add the other inlet prob to the intercooler pipe when that arrives.

Some random pics.

Picture064.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Picture066.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Picture083.jpg

Picture075.jpg

Update time.....well not much of an update,been driving the car for around a 1000-1200 miles,no problems bar the exhaust just touching the rear axel when hot,once the system heats up it expands closer to the axel....thats fixed with some stiffer exhaust rubbers.

Fitted new header tank,fittted a new washer bottle up front instead of the boot...god this works soooo much better :lol: and a new power steering bottle back in its original place.

The intercooler is working very well,on a hot day flat out for as long as you want i dont see more than 24-25 deg and around the doors/traffic it car go upto 39deg,but as soon as you moove it drops right down and more so when you use throttle plus it goes soooo much better flat out! :grin:

On a cool day i dont see inlet temps higher than 17deg and the inlet manifold is super cool 8)

Still only running 14psi which is fine,had to turn the boost up once going from chargecooler to intercooler from pressure drop...around 4psi,not that bad considering the pipe work and size of cooler! Aslo the boost lag is a bit more around 200-300 rpm,but its the A/R on the hot side thats to big.... :(

Also having a custom surge tank made up as it can get some air in the fuel system after some heavy braking and cornering :tongue:

Quick pic of the new bay.

Picture084.jpg

edit...also found this pic of my bay when i got it :lol: funny how i cant leave things alone :cuckoo:

DSCN0933.jpg

It looks even better without the charge cooler.

Cleaner. :salute:

Nice fabrication skills as always.

I know how it can really help being able to make a bracket here and there.

So the intercooler is really that more efficient?!

Cheers :)

The intercooler is much more efficient than the chargecooler i had but my chargecooler needed a much better pump and possibly more coolant in the rear and this is why i bined the idea,more cost,more wieght etc...Plus once you fit the intercooler its maintenance free! no worrying about pump failures etc.

So i lost around 4psi...easly sorted with a quick turn of the wastegate :grin:

Im going to start with the 4wd drive plan at some point...this is long term as parts are hard to fine so im doing it another way... :cuckoo:

Im going to start with the 4wd drive plan at some point...this is long term as parts are hard to fine so im doing it another way... :cuckoo:

:twisted:

Hmm.

Really impressive mate! I like the way the icooler won't be seen, are you using crazydaves fan set up?

Really impressive mate! I like the way the icooler won't be seen, are you using crazydaves fan set up?

Thanks Kip :D the intercooler is hidden but i have cut out the number plate resess for extra cooling...but its still hidden and im using my own custom lazor cut fan brackets,but they have not been fitted yet due to the current rad not having the support brackets that run at the top and bottom of the rad...new rad that i have will have them fitted 8)

The intercooler is much more efficient than the chargecooler i had but my chargecooler needed a much better pump and possibly more coolant in the rear and this is why i bined the idea,more cost,more wieght etc...Plus once you fit the intercooler its maintenance free! no worrying about pump failures etc.

So i lost around 4psi...easly sorted with a quick turn of the wastegate :grin:

If its any help what ever way you decide, i got my mk3 vr syncro trailing arms from a bloke on german ebay who was v v helpful, reasonably priced for postage and quick, called kfz-teile-brandenburg the subframe and the floor can be had from a golf syncro as the central frame is esssentially the same and they seem to crop up on english ebay for less than £150 for the entire car :D and then up to you how you mount the haldex diff (if going modern 4wd) if you go for the dutchbuild.com's brackets then it works out at about £250 :gag: but they are tried tested and look to be decent quality judging by various vortex threads

- with the effort its involved unstitching the corrado and rallye rear floors i cant be arsed to sort out the fab work so will be ordering these for mine as an entire weekends design and fab work is worth the cost - it would be a fair bit for material anyway! Hope that helps

Thanks for that mate.

I have been researching on the net for some time and dutch ebay was the best place to find VR rear end,box etc. But its still allot of money once its all shipped over.

I will be using the haldex diff but i will be using the hole rear subframe from a later golf platform, obviously this will require allot more custom fab work but thats fine with me,its more time but less expense as im not after OEM rear boot floor and all that as the car is far from OEM :lol:

Also im not keen on doshing out all the cash on a haldex controller....can you help there?

Ive only started to gather parts now..its just time to do it,probably in the winter but i also have a wedding to save for this year so yet again its not on the list of priority's :wink:

yep the dutch stuff seems to be cheapest, but the price i managed to get my complete (brakes/bearings/bushes/handbrake cables etc) was worth just biting the bullet and going for it when yo look at the price of vw stuff. i think coxy's done a dam good job of showing you dont need to use the rear floor 8)

well a really good contact i found by chance is a v helpful bloke called patrick (sparkz on ukpassats forum) who works with ns racing over here who ship parts regulaly between here and holland and said he could easily source a full mk3 vr6 syncro rear end and get it over to swap with my complete mk2 syncro stuff. but i'd just bought the mk3 arms so i didnt need this anymore. from all the research i have done i've found that the central frame seems to be the same for the mk2 mk3 and passat/quantam syncros but with different rear 'doughnut' mounts and wider tracked trailing arms for the mk3 and passats. These wider trailing arms however bolt straight onto the mk2 syncro / rallye frame

o just re reading your post do you mean mk4 rear end? - i have all this spare as i had this idea as well but decided on the more oem approach.

I have the rear subframe/arms/hubs spare. I am using the haldex diff and rear callipers but is this the route you were looking to take?

o and as for the haldex controller i'm really not at that stage yet. Still at the ripping out / weldign in rear floor staghe but i will then be rewiring the C as a mk4 r32 so this shouldnt need an additional controller to enable the haldex to work

o and as for the haldex controller i'm really not at that stage yet. Still at the ripping out / weldign in rear floor staghe but i will then be rewiring the C as a mk4 r32 so this shouldnt need an additional controller to enable the haldex to work

thats right mate, but you will need to fit the r32 abs/esp unit and the mk4 mastercylinder (and therefore the mk4 servo)

its all worth it though :)

thats right mate, but you will need to fit the r32 abs/esp unit and the mk4 mastercylinder (and therefore the mk4 servo)

its all worth it though :)

yep - all in the loft/garage waiting for me to finish the bloody floor!

Cheers for the info mate much appreciated i will using the hole mk5 rear end subframe mounted to the raddo,custom boot floor and fuel tank etc.

Ive also got hold of a spare haldex diff and im going to see if i can make my own controller or make it permanent....but i will see how this goes.

Once ive got this wedding out of the way then i will start spending cash on the raddo again so it will be next year before i start the awd.

cheers bud :salute:

Wow! very nice c love the way the intercooler and oil cooler all fits in at the front ,.

this will be immence :notworthy: with awd great work.,

Well i went for a drive and my car started to play up,struggled to idle etc.....went home pluged into vagcom and found fault code p1580 and this relates to the throttle body as its OBD2.

Usually when you switch the ignition on you can hear the throttle body hum,that means its working plus you can see the throttle move as it self calibrates...mine was having non of that. So i took the throttle body off,removed the rear cover to expose the mechanism and found over time dampness had set in and started to corrode one on the tracks,bit of emery later and some electrical cleaner and all is working well,even runs allot smoother low down so i suspect the water had been in there for some time.

Went for a spin around the local back road and came up to a MK5 R32 and he seen me in the rear view mirror...i heard a quick blip down and he was off(you could tell it was a DSG) So i went after him just to test the water :lol: but i could not keep up,i had the power but could not keep up with the stock open diff i had,it was near impossible to put power down without one wheel spinning over bump,hitting limiter then grip and trying to keep the car on the road :cuckoo:

So it a MUST......that i have a diff fitted next,still did well to keep up with a new generation golf with stability controll,ESP,DSG,ABS8 etc :epicfail:

Just read your thread, great car mate :notworthy: ......cant help but be suprised you couldnt stay with the Mk5 though :o

Just read your thread, great car mate :notworthy: ......cant help but be suprised you couldnt stay with the Mk5 though :o

:lol:

Cheers Fella,it was on a rough bumpy back road...My car has more power as it caught up quickly,but the AWD R32 on the twisty bumpy back roads had more grip at all time vs my open diff with to much hp to put it onto the tarmac. :cuckoo:

More smoother roads and i would have had him no problem....... :wink:

:lol:

Cheers Fella,it was on a rough bumpy back road...My car has more power as it caught up quickly,but the AWD R32 on the twisty bumpy back roads had more grip at all time vs my open diff with to much hp to put it onto the tarmac. :cuckoo:

More smoother roads and i would have had him no problem....... :wink:[/quote:19fhk8fk]

parf who needs AWD anyway.....

who's was cooler with more character I ask myself :D

I had the same with a Mk4 R32, i was ahead of him on a dual carriageway, we came to the roundabout and he went round without seemingly having to slow down at all and it made me look like i was in a reliant robin, i must say though the Haldex makes you feel like your a good driver when your not, i can in the TT corner alot faster then the Corrado but its just not as fun as i know the car is doing alot for me, you can literally just point where you want it to go and floor it and you can feel it transferring the power to where it needs to be depending on steering angle and power applied, it does the rest for you. Thats the reason im staying FWD with diff so i can be in control and more involved so its more fun even if im slower.