Sign in to follow this  
jim corrado

Respray ever as good as factory finish??

As the subject line really. Given that you take your car to be resprayed at a reputable place, will the paint ever be as good as, or better than, what they managed in the factory?

The paint Karmann used in the factory is very hard wearing, but the actual finish isn't all that great (they all seem to have slight rippling on the rear quarters).

If you pay for a top-notch respray you should get a mirror-perfect finish on the whole car and it'll last for another 15yrs, if you pay for a cheap job it'll probably look about the same as the factory job and start peeling off in a few years.

well the guy who im paying is doing a top notch job on mine, and promises that it will be WAY better than anything that came out of a factory. ok, its taken 4 months instead of the 3 weeks he first stated, but the engine bay is sprayed up and if the rest of the car is going to be as good if not better than that, it'll be amazing! all lead filled too, none of this modern sinking filler! plus he said if i find ANY imperfections on it, the he will take it back and do it all over again! mind you, i am paying over £5500 for the pleasure!

Really cant wait to see it Dan :)

You get what you pays im afraid.

It costs more for the perfect finish as the time taken to prepare the body and wet sanding afterwards alladds up into not so nice labour charges we have to pay.

yeah, thats exactly it, its all in the labour. but apparently getting hold of my color 'Dark burgandy pearl' (in quality paint) is really hard, i had a look at the list of tints that make up the colour and there was about 6-8 of them. but i certainly agree that you get what you pay for. anybody can spray a car, but can they spray it well?

my rado was resprayed about 3-4 years ago at a cost of about £2,500 (will hav to dig the reciept up) suffice to say that its bubbled and cracked and now looks pants.not a happy bunny

Its perfectly possible to get a factory / better than factory finish from a respray.

Factory paint on any car is crap.

A good painter doing a respray shouldnt really have to flat and polish to get a good finish to be honest, they should be able to get a good finish out of the gun.

A good finish yes, a mirror flat finish straight from the gun?? Not many sprayers would achieve that that if any . A top notch finish straight from the gun would still require possibly some very fine(2500/3000)grit wet sanding but definately some compounding/polishing to gain a mirror flat finish. Peeling/bubbling is most likey down to poor prep or/and poor quality paint used

In my experience you will never get as good a paint job on a respray as opposed to factory.

You may get a decent finish but it will be no-where near as hard wearing or long lasting.

The reason for this (I have been told) is that the original factory paint is oil based which is thicker than modern water based paints, and then is baked/dried on in an oven at the factory. Modern day water based paints are touch dry in an hour but don't give a hard finish. Just try and press a finger nail into a bit of car with original paint and then try it on bit with a respray - your nail will most likely make an impression on the respray but not a chance on the original.

Steve

In my experience you will never get as good a paint job on a respray as opposed to factory.

You may get a decent finish but it will be no-where near as hard wearing or long lasting.

The reason for this (I have been told) is that the original factory paint is oil based which is thicker than modern water based paints, and then is baked/dried on in an oven at the factory. Modern day water based paints are touch dry in an hour but don't give a hard finish. Just try and press a finger nail into a bit of car with original paint and then try it on bit with a respray - your nail will most likely make an impression on the respray but not a chance on the original.

Steve

it depends on how old the respray, paint takes 3 to 4 months to dry. after that if you can still mark it with your nail somthing is wrong. any resprays ive seen have been just as hard as the factory, that said they are all top quality jobs.

as with anything things progress most cs paint is gunna be 15 years old now,iv just bought a new gun to paint my c and i just cant belive just how flat it does lay clearcoat on id hardly have to flat it at all to be mirror finish.

alot of places are still using urethane paints rather than waterbased and its still easy to buy and im sure that the last time i did myn after a year it was alot harder than the vw paint and had alot more on.

as said above it can take a good 3 months to harden hence why you shudnt realy wax new paint so it can still breath and why its easyer to flat it just after painting.

like anything if the rust is in or you have to use any filler the chance is it will return unless ya change panels or cut it out.

As always it's all in the preperation of the car, and unfortunately the manufacturer will always have a better starting point!! So unless you really have buckets of money to throw at a paint job, then you may well get a better finish on the paint but it will never be a nice new undented/filled galvanized body it's going onto.

If you do respray your car, in my opinion it's always worth using a curly hand wire brush and shedloads of nitromors under clingfilm (stops it evaporating too quickly) to get the old paint off, if you use power tools (ie DA) you always take off the galvanising. Takes about two days to do a car this way.

Timmy waht gun did u go for? I've recently brought a devilbiss pri pro and sri pro and quality is great

itw devilbiss advance hd

trans-tec air cap

as you say quality is great and im well supprised at just how good it is.