Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

So how much power is too much power!?

Thats gonna go like a motha funka! :)

Ha ha I think you could be right. Only doing it to see the expression on my sisters face next time Im following her in her 360bhp EVO TME and Im still there in the mirror :lol:

TME?

Tommi Makinen?

That man is my all time motor racing hero. You can't beat a scandinavian rally driver.

Funnily enough I used to drive round in a boggo 1.6 focus, and one day was coming round the back of hove and had a little laugh with a TM special (clearly he was gonna have me extremely easily!). This lorry pulled out and the muppet in the Evo displayed his complete lack of driving skills and went up the back of the schmocus.

Me - one small mark/chip on bumper :)

Him - totally screwed front end! :(

Turned out to be the first day he'd had it on the road since having a new front end fitted after a prang!!!! lol. Muppet :)

That man is my all time motor racing hero. You can't beat a scandinavian rally driver.

This lorry pulled out and the muppet in the Evo displayed his complete lack of driving skills and went up the back of the schmocus.

Turned out to be the first day he'd had it on the road since having a new front end fitted after a prang!!!! lol. Muppet :)

LOL that is a nightmare. To be fair things do get a little 'hyper space' when you mash the throttle. However you would have thought he would have learnt to look a little further ahead after the first time! :lol:

Amen to Tommi a true driving god 8)

I actually like that car to be honest mate. I think it looks like a proper tool the TM. Proper wheels and everything. I pretty much hate anything else jap though.

I actually like that car to be honest mate. I think it looks like a proper tool the TM. Proper wheels and everything. I pretty much hate anything else jap though.

Ah a man of taste :D Have to say I fookin love it, just didnt want to have to get my flame suit on on the Rado forum :lol:

My mate's got an Evo 9 MR FQ360 HKS Club Team F1 Sport Ralliart P1 Quad Sequential hemispherical differential bastard fcuk schitt......

And I can tell you this....a Rotrex'd or turbo'd VR has absolutely no trouble, in fact, you will have to get used to seeing your sister in your rear view mirror...

My mate's got an Evo 9 MR FQ360 HKS Club Team F1 Sport Ralliart P1 Quad Sequential hemispherical differential bastard fcuk schitt......

And I can tell you this....a Rotrex'd or turbo'd VR has absolutely no trouble, in fact, you will have to get used to seeing your sister in your rear view mirror...

LOL Less of the joking and more of the answering my questions on page 5 so I can make this thing a reality :D

You would be surprised how fast the bastard fcuk shit makes the Evo go tho, loads of people have em on the MLR (Mitsubishi Lancer Forum) along with incredibly large ego's and teeny tiny penis's

Dunno mate, maybe I'm just used to power, but 2 of my enthusiast mates have quick cars, that Evo 9 FQ 360 and an 06 spec Impreza STI. Neither are as quick as I was expecting. They're not slow, but they're not as ballistic as their on-paper specs would imply either :lol:

And onto your questions, LOL!

So what do you recommend upgrade wise if your going to run 300bhp and similar torque? Think will almost 100% go Rotrex.

Peloquin dif

Low compression gasket set

ARP bolts

New clutch! Will a Sachs one be ok? If so what model??

Oil pump

Gearbox checked, final drive from a diesel added?

Do I need an oil cooler?

Anything else?

Pretty much it tbh, but if you're going for 300lb/ft torque or higher, then I'd recommend a Helix Autosport clutch, which is basically a Sachs Sporting pressure plate and their own organic friction disc. It's good for about 450lb/ft and only slightly heavier than stock on the pedal. It does have a little slip engineered in to save the transmission too, but you won't really notice it.

I wouldn't go with the Diesel final drive. The standard one is fine, or better still, the shorter 3.68 from the G60 / US spec VR6. It makes the midrange a lot punchier.

A 9:1 spacer is about right, but I would reduce it to 8.5:1 if you push any more than 12 psi.

Losing the cat and fitting a good 2.5" bore exhaust would a good move too.

And then of course, brakes..... my favourite mod. I love stupidly powerful brakes....almost as much as acceleration :lol:

Dunno mate, maybe I'm just used to power, but 2 of my enthusiast mates have quick cars, that Evo 9 FQ 360 and an 06 spec Impreza STI. Neither are as quick as I was expecting. They're not slow, but they're not as ballistic as their on-paper specs would imply either :lol:

And onto your questions, LOL!

Pretty much it tbh, but if you're going for 300lb/ft torque or higher, then I'd recommend a Helix Autosport clutch, which is basically a Sachs Sporting pressure plate and their own organic friction disc. It's good for about 450lb/ft and only slightly heavier than stock on the pedal. It does have a little slip engineered in to save the transmission too, but you won't really notice it.

I wouldn't go with the Diesel final drive. The standard one is fine, or better still, the shorter 3.68 from the G60 / US spec VR6. It makes the midrange a lot punchier.

A 9:1 spacer is about right, but I would reduce it to 8.5:1 if you push any more than 12 psi.

Losing the cat and fitting a good 2.5" bore exhaust would a good move too.

And then of course, brakes..... my favourite mod. I love stupidly powerful brakes....almost as much as acceleration :lol:

Nice one cheers m8 good to get things confirmed before blowing the moths out of the wallet :D

Good info on the clutch maybe go that route anyway for a bit longer life. Reason I was thinking diesel final drive was purely for refinement on the motorway really. Just done my brakes and kept em std doh! Im quite light on them anyway tbh, but I think that will be the last mod of the many!

If your serious about the FQ360 not feeling any quicker than yours then I will be a happy man Im sure 8) They are incredibly smooth in their power delivery right through the range tailing off at 5500rpm though. Think you should organise a rolling drag race with him, just for technical comparison reasons you understand ;-)

Reason I was thinking diesel final drive was purely for refinement on the motorway really.

Not a problem with a 6 cylinder engine mate. The drop to a 3.68 diff just means 4000rpm pulls 90mph instead of 100mph, but the main thing is at 70mph, the revs are in the right torque band ready shoot off. No need to drop to 4th anymore when that truck moves over ;-)

If your serious about the FQ360 not feeling any quicker than yours then I will be a happy man Im sure 8) They are incredibly smooth in their power delivery right through the range tailing off at 5500rpm though. Think you should organise a rolling drag race with him, just for technical comparison reasons you understand ;-)

Indeed. The 360 is quite comical really as the boost gauge just flies past the 1.5 bar maximum mark! Makes me laugh that Mitsubishi couldn't stretch to a rescaled boost gauge for the MR 360 but still charge well over £30K for it :lol:

over a horrid B road, the 360 would eat mine alive, no question because in those circumstances it' s all about traction and balance.

In a straight line though, mine easily keeps up, which is no surprise given our power outputs are similar and my car is lighter 8)

Not a problem with a 6 cylinder engine mate. The drop to a 3.68 diff just means 4000rpm pulls 90mph instead of 100mph, but the main thing is at 70mph, the revs are in the right torque band ready shoot off. No need to drop to 4th anymore when that truck moves over ;-)

Oh ok I get ya, I quite like cruising at 100mph on the motorway so will have to bear that one in mind.

Indeed. The 360 is quite comical really as the boost gauge just flies past the 1.5 bar maximum mark! Makes me laugh that Mitsubishi couldn't stretch to a rescaled boost gauge for the MR 360 but still charge well over £30K for it :lol:

over a horrid B road, the 360 would eat mine alive, no question because in those circumstances it' s all about traction and balance.

In a straight line though, mine easily keeps up, which is no surprise given our power outputs are similar and my car is lighter 8)

Yeah Mitsi are a bit of a rip off, easy power for your buck is to spend 14k on a EVO 260 and spend 6k on it for an easy 400bhp 400 lb ft 8)

Didnt realise you were pushing out quite that much power must be an animal! :D You sure it isnt too much power? ;-) LOL

I really don't think there is such a thing as too much, even for a FWD car.

I mean it's not like you (eg. Kev) have to deploy all 350 odd horses mid-corner. Even F1 cars don't do that! They use restraint!

Restraint on the corners and then kick the crap out of it on the straightaways, as the yanks say :)