Sign in to follow this  
BigD

Best ever MFA MPG reading?

haha.. snap! I my figuers were quoted from the same journeys there and back :)

Did you see the Canon stand near Project Kahn? That's where I was working for the 4days. I said hi to a couple of the guys over at the corrado stand too :)

Nahh.. I guess that would have to have been either Mikey (pointy hair) or Jamal (welsh..ish) haha!

Glad to hear they made a good impression though.. we're all off to the boat show @ Earls court next... last one of the season for us. (phew!)

Yeah imagine that same MPG and spoke to eachother and both have a corrado that would have been mad!lol! Enjoy yourselves! 8)

iam not sure on the best iv had :? i can tell you now i had 8mpg after doing a top speed run down a german autobharn ! then doing a few laps round the nurburgring ! :D that 50 euros did not last long i tell ya... was good fun tho ! lol :D

ive had 49mpg going down the m3 at 55mph in my g60..got 9mpg on the way back when a bmw thought he had bigger balls under his hood. 8)

Fuel tank sizes for all early Corrados is 55 litres, all late cars are 70 litres.

Change over point is around the facelift point but all VRs will come with the 70 litre tank.

The reason was that VW upped the range required from a tank of fuel, hence the larger tanks.

Yeah the Corrado's MFA is very slow to update, but it's deliberate. Obviously in over-run conditions, no fuel is used at all as the injectors are turned off, and similarly when you put your foot down, loads of fuel is used, so to avoid the constant fluctuations (like the BMW E30's analogue 'MPG o meter'), the ECU just takes snapshots of the injector duty cycles to give you an overall average. It should really be called "A-MPG"!

If travelling at a constant pace, you can reset the MFA and it will tell you what the MPG is at that precise moment, which depending if you're on over-run or very light throttle, can be anything from 40 - 99.9mpg!

It's meaningless twaddle anyway. Best way to work out the REAL mpg is calculate how many miles you get to a tank....the old fashioned way ;-)

Which my lowest has been about 8mpg so far.

How low can you run the tank when it gets into the red question ?

This i find really interesting and very amusing.

Mainly as despite quite a number of years driving, I have only in the last year started to push my luck after running out of fuel when I was 19. It has taken quite a while to get over the embarrasement of the experience :lol:

Typical 19 year old, broke, running car on fresh air!

Driving to work, car, broke down. Was sat in lengthy queue of traffic at the time.

Got out of the car, knowing the problem, to tell the blokes in the white van behind (yeah - can you believe it?)

that i had broken down and needed a hand to be pushed out of the way. They asked, if I knew what was wrong. I did admit the problem. :oops: They were great and offered me the fuel in the can they carried around. Except, I had no money :oops: To this, after laughing :oops: they said I could have it anyway. :D

So, back to the VR, (many years after), it has taken a while, to allow the car to run for more than 5 miles on the red, whereas now !! I have worked out on the steep slope down out of my village, the fuel gauge significantly increases giving me more confidence to run the car longer. I have since completed about 2 miles almost off the red - scary and I won't be reguarly trying this.

But, I think overall, there has got to be a gallon, or 5.8 litres I think that is ?!

I am sure all cars will differ and besides everyone drives differently with different fuel economies, so this is just my experience - note the disclaimer - should anyone run out of fuel ! :lol:

Does the Owners manual not have something on this?

If pushing the red zone is your thing then I have this advice, based on having owned three VR6's, and having changed the fuel pump in one of them:

"No two Corrados are the same when it comes to running out of fuel"

The only way to find out how far your needle can go into the red is to actually run it out of fuel. My first Corrado would happily drive around for 2-3 days with the needle on the bump stop. When I changed the fuel pump (hint: the level float is part of the fuel pump assembly) it coughed with the needle just over the line, but fortunately I was 100yds from a station.

I never ran out of fuel in the second Corrado I owned (probably because I only owned it for 4 months and I managed to remember to fill it up) but my current car caught me by surprise when it choked to death with the needle hardly across the line earlier in the year.

Yeah... yeah... I can hear you all laughing... buggers...

I've run out of gas only once in mine in 5 years, but I was asking for that..... I forgot about the steep hill :-)

Incidentally, you can adjust the height of the float senders stop, which might explain why some go on past the red and others run out on white before the red.

I'm never brave enough to run mine down that far.. but then every time I fill up I can only ever manage to get about 55/56 litres into it (even when the needle is RIGHT down) so clearly got quite a bit more left in reserve!

Fuel tank sizes for all early Corrados is 55 litres, all late cars are 70 litres.

Change over point is around the facelift point but all VRs will come with the 70 litre tank.

The reason was that VW upped the range required from a tank of fuel, hence the larger tanks.

Are you sure about that fella? I wonder if mine has had it's tank replaced with a smaller one then. (94 vr6) I've only managed to get about £47 in it so far and would assume the rest (about 7litres) would be the reserve plus a bit. My deductions would therefore be that it has a 55ltr tank?! I wish it did have the 70ltr... although it would seriously hurt at the pump, doing big mileage would be nice and easy!

UK designated 1994 VR6s came with 70 litre tanks, end of story!

Chances are you are just not filling it up from empty and there's more in the tank than the fuel gauge is reporting. The sender's stop is adjustable and someone may have been in there and tampered with it, which isn't uncommon if people run out of gas too soon on the guage, or too late.

I've squeezed over 65 litres in my 94 VR6 many times. I do anything up to 70 miles (my commute round trip) once it hits the red. I go a bit lighter on the loud pedal in those circumstances mind.

Hmmm, ok!

I've not really had it too far into the red at all due to not being sure how much more it'd do mileage wise. Might just get a jerry can, stick it in the boot and see how far it'll go! :| I guess the only problem is not wanting to draw too much shit through the fuel filter that's been sitting at the bottom of the tank for years!