Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Changing rear pads and discs...

I want to change the rear pads and discs on my G60, and I've had a look around with the search on here for advice. There is a WIKI article for the fronts but not the rears, and I'm wondering whether anyone has written something similar (or can point me in the direction of one). Ideally I need the part numbers for things I need to buy (I know I need the rear wheel bearings, but is it the innners as well as the outers for instance) and which bits if any can be re-used, and whether there is anything I should beware of, and tips for setting up the bearings? Thanks folks.

Righty....

You will need to buy.

2x disks

2x sets of rear bearings (inners and outers come together)

1x set of pads (these come with caliper to carrier pin bolts included)

4x caliper carrier to hub bolts.

1x Caliper windback tool or a metal bar and waterpump pliers (if you are me)

Loosen the wheel bolts. Jack the car up and secure it with the handbrake off, remove the wheel clean the caliper area up so you don't get grubby.

You might find that it is easier to remove the centre tunnel cover and undo the handbrake cable adjusters at theis point to remove the handbrake cable from the caliper.

Undo the caliper to carrier pin bolts. 13mm on the outside, 15mm hex on the slider pin.

Pull the caliper off and tie up to the suspension to stop in putting pressure on the pipe.

Take an Allen key and remove the 2 caliper carrier to hub bolts. These will be tight and rubbish. Hit them with a hammer and invest in a set of allen key sockets.

Remove caliper carrier.

Remove centre cap split pin and locking ring, remove nut and slide disk off. At theis point the inside race will be on the stub axle. You will need to pun it off.

If hitting it with a hammer be very carefull as the race will splinter causing metal/eye interface issues.

Clean up stub axle with emery cloth if necessary.

Push inner race onto stub axle

Press bearings and dust guard into disk. grease and place disk and bearings on stub axle. Install washer and nut, tighten nut with socket set and spin disk to ensure that the bearings are seated correctly. then loosen nut fully and retighten by hand and spin disk until the washer can just be moved with a screwdriver and light pressure. Install locking ring and split pin, put carriers back on and possibly replace slider pin boots.

ANd I'll finish the guide once I've collected some bales...

What toad said! :lol:

Just done this on my VR and believe me the hardest point is the new races into the new disks, outers are fairly easy with a 50mm drift but the inner (larger ones) were a nightmare on mine. Could be worth taking to a garage or metalwork workshop, I got mine pressed in at a local metalwork fabricators.

2 best tips I got when I did mine (thanks Supercharged) was to invest in a set of Irwin bolts grippers and a calliper wind back tool, about £20 for each but both awesome bits of kit and made the job so much easier. The rear carrier bolts can tend to round out so but the bolt grippers will get those off in seconds, and the calliper pistons need to be wound back quite a long way if the old pads were worn right down.

Good luck with the new braking mate.