Sign in to follow this  
corozin

Audi R8 advert : Beautiful... but why?

Ahh the new Audi R8 advert is currently gracing our screens and what a thing of beauty it is. Magical photography, beautiful quirky Bjork-like soundtrack...

But it begs the question : Are Audi merely capitalising on thier new halo model, or is the advertising actually an attempt to generate sales? I mean the media was saying you couldn't get an R8 until 2009, but then a similar story went out about the Jaguar F-type and that turned out to be a pork pie...

Viewpoints please?

For me, it is a classic halo ad - designed for the brand, rather than direct sales.

They have created an aspirational product - it will drive footfall in to dealerships, increase web traffic and enhance the Audi brand. Sales of the A5, TT and new A4 will increase as a result.

Sales of the R8 will be a secondary objective.

All in my opinion of course!

Ahh the new Audi R8 advert is currently gracing our screens and what a thing of beauty it is. Magical photography, beautiful quirky Bjork-like soundtrack...

But it begs the question : Are Audi merely capitalising on thier new halo model, or is the advertising actually an attempt to generate sales? I mean the media was saying you couldn't get an R8 until 2009, but then a similar story went out about the Jaguar F-type and that turned out to be a pork pie...

Viewpoints please?

I was reading a little bout this advert t'other day. Apparently Audi are the first manufacturer to advertise a supercar with absolutely no mention of its performance. Instead the focused on how it was built. I think the idea is that its a supercar so it'll be quick anyway and the focus more on how well its built and how good it looks. I like it, makes me want one!

According to a contact I have in Audi, confirmed orders are actually stretching into 2009 but they are expecting supply to free up in 2008 as people drop off the list as soon as they stop commanding a premium over list price.

I would imagine that they are concerned that it could go the same way as the sublime NSX - awesome car that they couldn't sell for love or money.

I was reading a little bout this advert t'other day. Apparently Audi are the first manufacturer to advertise a supercar with absolutely no mention of its performance. Instead the focused on how it was built. I think the idea is that its a supercar so it'll be quick anyway and the focus more on how well its built and how good it looks. I like it, makes me want one!

In fact by utilising antithesis to maximum effect (i.e. by talking about it's the slowest car they've ever made) they cleverly highlight exactly how fast it is, whilst retaining plausible deniability. Like I say it's a beautiful and clever advert. I haven't enjoyed a car advert as much since Honda's "Hate something" cartoon a few years ago.

I saw an R8 on the road the other day, it was in a vile light blue with silver side blade things. Didn't float my boat at all, but I think in the right colour it could look lovely...

There is a graphite grey one knocking around Melbourne/Derby, looks and sounds simply amazing!

I also think that Audi are currently one of the most clever, and innovative, car manufacturers in the world. The new A5 is stunning, the new TT runs ring around the last model, and now the R8. Suddenly owning an Audi is right up there with owning a BMW/Merc, if not better, owning a BMW/Merc makes it look too obvious that you're trying to make a point about your 'status'

I also think that Audi are currently one of the most clever, and innovative, car manufacturers in the world. The new A5 is stunning, the new TT runs ring around the last model, and now the R8. Suddenly owning an Audi is right up there with owning a BMW/Merc, if not better, owning a BMW/Merc makes it look too obvious that you're trying to make a point about your 'status'

In the words of a recent Honda ad - "I couldn't have put it better myself".

R8, RS4, S5, S3, RS6 - in my opinion the best of each breed currently available on the market.

I saw an R8 on the road the other day, it was in a vile light blue with silver side blade things. Didn't float my boat at all, but I think in the right colour it could look lovely...

theres a silver one with a carbon fibre blade thingy in my village, looks increadible, also if you look round one they really are just as well built as a normal audi, o and if anyone saw topgear... looks a lot more striking than the similarly priced 911 (and that was with hammonds custom wheels!)

theres a silver one with a carbon fibre blade thingy in my village, looks increadible, also if you look round one they really are just as well built as a normal audi, o and if anyone saw topgear... looks a lot more striking than the similarly priced 911 (and that was with hammonds custom wheels!)

I agree with what you say, but it's important to remember that for many 911 buyers one of the key selling points is the comparatively understated design. You can drive a 911 around most towns in relative anonymity but you might not want the attention that an R8 (or Ferrari) attracts, which can often be the wrong sort.

In fact by utilising antithesis to maximum effect (i.e. by talking about it's the slowest car they've ever made) they cleverly highlight exactly how fast it is, whilst retaining plausible deniability. Like I say it's a beautiful and clever advert. I haven't enjoyed a car advert as much since Honda's "Hate something" cartoon a few years ago.

Should have made it out of cake.. oh hang on some-one did that!

Great Halo Advert... Now I'm off to join the R8 Forum.. who knows in about 20 year time we'll see you all there! :lol:

Saw two side by side in the Audi dealership in Bury St Edmonds at the weekend. Absolutely lovely. I'd have one in a second if I had the money. Needless to say while I was walking around them having a good look none of the sales execs came out and asked if I needed any help.... obvioulsy I don't meet their demographic. :lol:

Magical photography, beautiful quirky Bjork-like soundtrack..

If you're interested, the song is 'The beep beep song' by Simone White

Saw two side by side in the Audi dealership in Bury St Edmonds at the weekend. Absolutely lovely. I'd have one in a second if I had the money. Needless to say while I was walking around them having a good look none of the sales execs came out and asked if I needed any help.... obvioulsy I don't meet their demographic. :lol:

Northgate VW had borrowed the white R8 from the bury st edmonds audi dealers for a meet they held the other week, and although the colour wasn't the best it is still an awesome piece of kit and the sound it made was incredible. I think mrbeige got a video of it running?

Frankly for the money I'd still have an Aston Martin but that's the heart speaking rather than the head.

The R8 is stunning, seen one in the flesh too.

What a shame I am not multi rich as i would add this to my collection of wants - specially after 5th Gear's eport last night too.

Corozin - Having been fortunate to have driven both an R8 and a V8 Vantage I'd have to say that the R8 is better built, faster and handles better - I'd still take the Aston though - the Aston had that sense of occassion that the R8 didn't / doesn't.

Exhaust note on the Aston is far better (strangely the RS4 sounds better than the R8) and I don't think I'd get as much pleasure form looking at the Audi as I would the Aston - could understand why anyone would want an R8 but it doesn't excite me the way other cars do

I completely admire what the R8 is, but at the same time it leaves me completely sterile on the emotional level.

Jeremy Clarkson hit the nail on the head in describing the appeal of Aston Martin. Imagine you're taking your better half out to dinner... "so dear do you think we should go in the Porsche, or should we take the Aston..."

To me its one of the most beautiful cars around, and its more a question of not "would I have one?" but more "which colour would I have?" and White is the new Black 8)