Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Droning under braking.. and now weird squeaking?!

Just noticed this evening my car is suddenly making droning noises from the front end when slowing down to a stop, and especially so when turning.

I know my wheel bearings at the front are not in the best of shape (1 year old pieces of GSF SH*T) - is this likely to be causing this droning too?

Reading back through old posts (some I made 3 years ago in fact) most people say its either bearings or brake pads / discs, usually drilled or grooved discs. I'm running VAG 280mm discs so not drilled or anything - and I think the pads are ok?

Does a droning bearing mean 'change me ASAP' ?

Sure it's not some grit stuck in the brake housings, or stuck behind the brake shielding?

What makes you think your bearings are knacked anyway?

A continual whirring noise, especially noticable about 30-40MPH and increases in volume noticably (from driver side wheel) when taking a left turn :(

Had a few forumers in the car recently and they all agreed it sounded like a fubar bearing.

My guess would also be that it's a bearing tbh... I'd assume it's not that good to drive it far with a noisy bearing - I've always changed mine as soon as possible when this has happened in the past

Yup, I would agree with the wheel bearing diagnosis.

Does it get quieter when you make a right turn as well?

See, I've had similar noises and it turned out to be the ABS sensor grinding on the rotor... (Though it could be a bearing too, obviously ..) In fact it could also be the CV joint I think.

See, I've had similar noises and it turned out to be the ABS sensor grinding on the rotor... (Though it could be a bearing too, obviously ..) In fact it could also be the CV joint I think.

CV joint tends to be a knocking noise not a droning one though.

After listening a bit, the droning under braking seems to be coming from the side that I already thought had a bad bearing. I think its just confirming its particularly duff.

Just gotta get through christmas - then new suspension and wheel bearings are on the way.

The front end on my car gets more and more bizarre.. I just don't know whats wrong with it!

This problem has continued of course. Also, as of Tuesday night, I now have a strange rubber squeaking noise that varies depending on the road speed at anything above 30MPH. It seems to calm down after about 20 minutes of driving and isn't coming from the engine (if you dip the clutch whilst moving it continues making the noise) - it is coming from the same side as what has the bad bearing...

I'm getting the wheel bearings done tomorrow (decided they were just not worth postponing) and have brand new VAG ones to go on this time around! Hopefully it cures some of these weird ills.

Just found this on Club GTI:

Only time I have had a 'squeaky' wheel was shagged wheel bearing in the Mk1 and the hub was evidently occasionally turning inside the bearing

Brilliant :|

Hello mate.. new ones are on and its much better.

In fact my handling was so bad over the last few days (general slop, tugging me around in different directions on the road) and the combination of new bearings and a wheel alignment has firmed and straightened the whole lot up brilliantly.

Strangely there is bit of a graunching under braking still (maybe me pads / discs have had it) but no more bearing noises or squeaks or anything :) Happy again! Just need to get the new suspension now - thats for early next year :)

Glad its sort of fixed :D

Mines doing something very similar...An echoey deep squeak while rolling/braking at very low speed.

I know that my passenger rear abs sensor has a piece broken off,and my front pads are ready for renewal.

I don't think it will be the abs sensor as if i spin the disc,its not catching or anything...ill see how i get on with it.

Ive had all new bearing not long back too,so hopefully its just the front discs/pads! But it does sound like the back :?

Neil.

Hm - that sounds like it could be a binding calliper on the rear? Fairly classic symptom at low speeds...

Ahhh,you could be right there Jim...I had one new one on the rear,but haven't got around to doing the other side yet.

Good call 8)

Neil.

I'd of suggested the MK4 rear calliper conversion... but I seem to get binding calliper squeaks from my MK4 rears too at low speeds / parking so probably worth sticking with the Corrado ones! :D

but I seem to get binding calliper squeaks from my MK4 rears too at low speeds / parking so probably worth sticking with the Corrado ones!

Could be handbrake adjustment?