CazzaVR

The definitive "What Air Filter?" discussion thread

Ben, was on two different rollers I'm afraid, but know a few people over the years have had similar gains on the same rollers. Usually 4-8bhp.

Cheers Dude, main thing is it does not affect performance in a bad way so having one plus with a little extra noise cant hurt, will just have to see i have the pennies when the time coms.

Hi All,

I could do with some help/advice. I'm trying to revert back to a standard airbox. My VR came with a K&N cone filter, so I don't know whats missing. I've bought the airbox from StueyB (recieved with thanks), however, the connections from the back of the box to the MAF look different. The box has 2 screw fittings, where as the MAF has 2 slots. It looks like there is a collar missing....any suggestions?

Also, at the front of the box there is an ovaloid air intake, which presumably hooks up behind the headlamp - is there a seal, or connector, or does it just butt up to it? Finally, the 'snorkle', is this the plastic cylinder inside the box itself?

I've found one on eBay but its saying its for the 1.8 g60 model....will this still fit in the standard air box on my 2.0 16v????

Just picking up the "removing of snorkel" part of this thread - I removed mine of the VR box a few months ago and it has def improved the sound - more of a growl that has a second note around 3500rpm in 2nd!!!

I'd spent plenty of time here and elsewhere looking at whether to go with a cone or drill holes etc and came across a post somewhere that mentioned a conversation with a K&N tech who said that the OE panel filters actually perform better than the K&N ones so I stopped looking and whipped the snorkel off for better noise!!

I have a friend with a MK4 GTI with a CDA. He's very very jealous of the noise and simply can't keep up with my unfettered VR!

I saw a comparison done back to back on a dyno for a mk3 Golf GTI 16v iirc. they had a standard airbox with a genuine paper filter, a "performance" panel filter, and a cone filter. There wasn't much difference between the two panel filters but the paper filter made the most power, with the cone well below both the panels due to heat soak. I do have a K&N panel in mine, but its simply because I bought the car with it in and as its a lifetime filter, a quick clean every now and again and job done. Cheaper in the long run for minimal losses. (About 0.3 bhp iirc).

Reckon the VR with the snorkel removed is the perfect compromise. I ran a BMC for a while and the noise was hilarious but it was just too noisy / head turning.

I've got a BMC waiting to fit to mine. Ideally I'd use the standard inbox but with the 24v having the inlet on the other side that's not going to be immediately possible. I've got a cone filter on it at the moment but the heat soak is too much so I want something drawing in purely cool air.

I'll let you know how I get on. Or if anyone has a good suggestion for using the standard VR airbox on a 24v then I'm all ears.

Induction kit = 40-50 BHP increase. FACT!

No you've got it all wrong, that only works on Corsas and Saxos as they are "special" :lol:

The short pipe from the front of the airbox that pushes up to the back of the headlight. Easily removed by taking the lid off the airbox, filter out and tapping the snorkel out with a hammer.

Jim, glad you like it- makes a nice difference without being intrusive 8)

think I,ll do this tomorrow :grin:

My snorkel has already been removed ! These VR,s must be incredibly quiet with them fitted . An exhaust is going to be the only answer for me

Sorry you're going to have to enlighten me a bit, im not very mechanically capable but i have the money to get the work done.

I've been reading through this post, and all the acronyms are confusing me? I have a Corrado VR6 and the previous owner has left a ghastly cone filter in there which is visibly shagged, i'd like to go back to the original set up.

In short, i need an idiots guide on what to buy. I can get hold of an undrilled standard airbox but i'm unsure if i need any pipes, and then theres the question of water panel filter to put inside. I'm not particularly bothered about power gains as in previous cars i've noticed very little, but i feel this old c.filter is having a detrimental effect on the running of my car, due to heatsoak.

Edited by Mouser

Sorry you're going to have to enlighten me a bit, im not very mechanically capable but i have the money to get the work done.

I've been reading through this post, and all the acronyms are confusing me? I have a Corrado VR6 and the previous owner has left a ghastly cone filter in there which is visibly shagged, i'd like to go back to the original set up.

In short, i need an idiots guide on what to buy. I can get hold of an undrilled standard airbox but i'm unsure if i need any pipes, and then theres the question of water panel filter to put inside. I'm not particularly bothered about power gains as in previous cars i've noticed very little, but i feel this old c.filter is having a detrimental effect on the running of my car, due to heatsoak.

You should just need the airbox as the filter sits on the end of the MAF, remove filter then the airbox just attaches to the MAF. So no extra pipework is needed (from memory!) A K&N or the like panel filter will be just fine

HTH

Adam

Hi,

Im looking to buy a BMC-CDA, does anybody have one fitted? If so what size is the CDA? On the website there are two different models one larger than the other but both are suitable for V6 engines.

Thanks in advance!

Go for the larger one and get a CDA mounting bracket from daves16v on this forum. It bolts onto the side of the engine using two of the existing tensioner bolts and makes fitting a doddle.

P2230001.jpg

Edited by leon263

Go for the larger one and get a CDA mounting bracket from daves16v on this forum. It bolts onto the side of the engine using two of the existing tensioner bolts and makes fitting a doddle.

P2230001.jpg

I'm sure you sorted the red rears out for me too! Thanks!

Does anybody have the model number/dimensions of a setup as there are quite a few variants. These are the models cda 100-150 & cda 100-220 that are listed just incase they have released newer sizes. Thanks

Does anybody have the model number/dimensions of a setup as there are quite a few variants. These are the models cda 100-150 & cda 100-220 that are listed just incase they have released newer sizes. Thanks

Hassan - your not to far away from Stealth in banbury, give Vince a call there & he will order the correct one for you & also make sure he gets the extra silicone hose you need to connect it up to your air intake

Hassan - your not to far away from Stealth in banbury, give Vince a call there & he will order the correct one for you & also make sure he gets the extra silicone hose you need to connect it up to your air intake

I spoke to them yesterday and apparently they fit the 85-150 box, bmc are out for 4 weeks at the moment!

Iv managed to source myself a bmc cda, mounting kit on its way from Daves16v! Can anybody point me in the right direction of what hose is needed to connect it to the air intake? going to try and attempt it myself :grin:

Since when have the BMC CDA induction kit been £200 :scratch: can't find any for the price they used to be at