Sign in to follow this  
AdamP

Does an ABF lump Fit corrados?

Hi all,

The ABF motor fits perfectly into a Corrado, I've just done this engine swap myself.

I considered my options and came to the conclusion that the best base car to use for this conversion was the quite rare, and slow, Corrado 8v. The 8v has the same Digifant injection system as the ABF so it was just a case of plug'n'play really. The only real problem I had was fitting an airbox, the ABF one(out of a Passat) was about three feet wide, and the original Corrado one had a big MAF in the way. I will either get an induction kit or bodge the two air-boxes together.

Hope this helps.

Ok a few questions for you out of curiosity. Which bonnet do you have early or late bulge type? Standard inlet manifold that runs over the rocker cover? What exhaust did you use and how close to the underside of the car is it? Not challenging you here just curious. :) Oh and er welcome to the forum. :salute:

I used the 8v bonnet, which is late style ~1995, and the ABF inlet manifold. I thought clearance might be an issue to begin with but the bonnet shuts fine. The 8v had a 2E tall block engine, so i'm not sure if it had a lower sub-frame than earlier models as a result???

For the exhaust the ABF manifold simply bolted onto the 8v downpipe, no problems with clearance at all.

cool i want to abf/megasquirt my golf.

Are you happy with the way the car drives now/

You should get a members thread going,can't think of another n/a abf corrado on here.

Welcome btw.

Thanks for the interest.

I haven't driven her yet. I only put the engine in last weekend, so there's still things to do. She fires up and runs OK though so that's a big relief.

im in the process of putting an ABF in my mk3 passat to replace the tired old PB lump (donor car was a mk4 passat), and the subframe is slightly different and the front engine mount is the later mk3 golf "swiss roll" style one, which sits lower than the old mushroom shape one. This means that the front engine support/crossmember beam is different as well to accomodate the engine mount. But thankfully you can swap the crossmembers as all the holes at the ends are the same.

On the mk4 passat 16valvers, they shared all the front suspension and steering components with the mk3 golf VR6 so ive got a feeling it might use a VR6 subframe to get round the height issue. Also the gearbox mount is different, the ABF box doesnt have the long support bar that comes forwards over the top of the box to near the shift tower, just uses a bracket that comes off the back of the box.

O and i drove the donor car before we took it to bits, and i have to say that the engine is fantastic, the passat weighs about the same as a corrado, and you really dont notice the extra weight (by todays standards theyre both light cars!) and it loves to rev and rev and rev! A £300 12 year old estate car had no right to be that quick hahaha

Ive got the engine/box/subframe all as one bit still on my drive so ill get some piucs tonight before i split them.

Yeah, the Passat was amusingly quick for a big wobbly car.

Although I thought the Passat weighs about 1250Kg - compared to the Corrado's 1100Kg. It certainly looks a lot bigger parked next to it!

For me the best bit about the Passat, after the engine, is that it comes with the 288mm late style VR6 brakes.

ahh yea i guess the mk4 passat is a bit heavier- its got all the side impact bars, abs, airbags etc. Book weight for a mk3 passat (which i have) is 1180kg, which i thought was about the same as a VR6 'rado.

Once theyve been lowered and the shocks stiffened up a bit they handle really nicely- as they have widetrack suspension too. Im putting the whole front end of the mk4 on my mk3 so i can get the big brakes too :) and it came with 5-stud "g60" style steels which look 8) , another bonus of buying the whole donor car!

What motor has your mk3 Passat got in it at the moment?

I'm tempted to go wide track. Don't see too many Corrado's with it, plus the big brakes :D , also have those cool looking 15' steel rims!!

Sorry, didn't read your post through - it has a PB unit.

Is that digi or K-jet. If digi, the conversion should be simple.

yep its digifant, so shouldnt be too hard (touch wood) although there are a couple of things im not sure about, like what to do with the charcoal canister and the valve? Im thinking just ditch it and blank off the hole in the throttle body, but will this register a fault code in the ECU if the valve isnt plugged in?

I didn't really come across a charcoal filter.

I guess it's part of the fuel filtration system?

As far as the fuel system was concerned all I had to do was swap over the injection manifold and the two rubber feed/return pipes.

Hey guys

I'm wondering about the dash wiring with an ABF swap???

I have a mk1 caddy running corrado a 1990 16V engine, loom, dash etc. They only thing left of the caddy wiring is the rear lights and fuel pump feed.

I now have a Seat Toledo resplendant with ABF to butcher for it's engine but I'm concerned about the dash wiring. Will the KR clocks work with the ABF engine loom???

Are the early 16V KR Corrado clocks interchangable with the late 8V Corrado clocks??? My hunch is no but a confirmation would be great.

Should I swap the whole loom/fusebox for a late 8V digi setup???

Cheers

Monkey

think you'll find the clocks have a different multi connector, and the early ones are cable driven speedos. The early clocks only have a single indicator light, rather than the late left and right turn arrows, so I'm not sure the wiring loom is even the same, I did read once someone having converted early to late though so it can be done.