Sign in to follow this  
AdamP

Does an ABF lump Fit corrados?

What exhaust manifold would i need for an abf into G60 corrado? Im guessing just a 1,8 or 2.0 valver manifold (which one)?

Would there be any problems with this?

Neil.

No problems, but you are mad fitting a valver to your G60, Neil.

And not meaning to be a pedant, (although by saying this I probably am) but the ABF is 236mm high , where as the KR and 9A are 220mm high, so a total of 16mm difference in block height. :dorky: (rods are 144mm in the KR/9A and 159mm in the ABF/2E (8v) :dorky: :dorky: :dorky: )

If only someone had a helpful website with information like this, and how the change in rod legnth has advantages.... ;)

What exhaust manifold would i need for an abf into G60 corrado? Im guessing just a 1,8 or 2.0 valver manifold (which one)?

Would there be any problems with this?

Neil.

No problems, but you are mad fitting a valver to your G60, Neil.

And not meaning to be a pedant, (although by saying this I probably am) but the ABF is 236mm high , where as the KR and 9A are 220mm high, so a total of 16mm difference in block height. :dorky: (rods are 144mm in the KR/9A and 159mm in the ABF/2E (8v) :dorky: :dorky: :dorky: )

Aye, 16mm is indeed correct Stu, but i didn't want to be the pedant :lol: Sloppy seconds pedant? Such a thing? :lol:

So which exhaust manifold would be best both fitment and clearance wise? The original abf? kr? 9a?

Neil. :)

the abf engine by all accounts is a VW masterpiece but its not quite good enuff as a sraight swap for a G ??????

As a base for FI though.... :clap: :grin:

the abf engine by all accounts is a VW masterpiece but its not quite good enuff as a sraight swap for a G ??????

As a base for FI though.... :clap: :grin:

I have to agree. Best base engine for F/I. Why not go 16v G60? Flusted has shown how easy it can be! Plus if you junk the G60 management and go Megasquirt all your running issues will be resolved :D

Thats my thinking guys :D Charged abf! :D

The corrado will be coming off the road again as soon as i find a daily driver, so this time the plan of attack may just well be something to finally rid the 3 year+ running problem while adding another 8 valves :)

Any idea's on exhausst manifold? and id guess at the valver box being best...But would a vr6 clutch fit? Don't think its big enough?

Neil.

Block is 18mm taller

Such a shame :( Probably way too much hassle to get a late bonnet to fit..

Is a 9A really that bad compared to an ABF? In terms of work needed and performance? Seems to be the only option for me if i want to beef up the 1.8...unless there are other alternatives?

9a is perfect option, just fit the 1.8 cams. although the ABf is taller, i expect as long as your engine mounts are ok it should foul the bonnets

Why is getting a late bonnet to fit way too much hassle mate?

well apart from the condition/colour of a late bonnet and the cost of purchasing/repainting, the late bonnet doesn't fit properly with early wings, it'll work, it's just they'll not line up right, panel gap and curve etc.

well apart from the condition/colour of a late bonnet and the cost of purchasing/repainting, the late bonnet doesn't fit properly with early wings, it'll work, it's just they'll not line up right, panel gap and curve etc.

This is what i presumed...Then again i've never seen a late bonnet modified to fit an early C. Anyone got a pic or anything?

Another possible route - 1.8T engines..would these fit under an early bonnet?

Yeah I suppose the cost is an issue, I just meant that in the scheme of things it's not a massive amount of work when you're undertaking an engine conversion.

I've not got a pic of a rado with early wings and late bonnet, though i've had a couple of rados with one early and one late wing and a late bonnet and you'd be hard pushed to tell tbh.

I plan to respray the car anyway, so cost isn't much of a factor.. I just assumed it would look weird with early wings? Anyway, pics might help ;) *wink wink*

We fitted a late bonnet to supercharged's early C at Stanford Hall, it curves differently along the sides compared to the original early bonnet, can't remember if the wings bulged up more or the bonnet sides did, but either way it was noticeably out of line.

I plan to respray the car anyway, so cost isn't much of a factor.. I just assumed it would look weird with early wings? Anyway, pics might help ;) *wink wink*

I've got no pics of a C with late bonnet/early wings as i've not seen one, going by what davidwort says though you'd need to get a pair of wings and a bonnet before you go for paint.

Here's a couple of pics of a late C with one early wing, I assume that having 2 early wings makes it stand out alot more! :)

270220060021.jpg

DSCF02641-1.jpg

crappy work network, it blocks photobucket or whever those images are hosted. Thanks though, will have to check it out later on tonight. From what I've read it seems that it seems like a lot of work, and if i'm honest I want the car to be perfect when finished, so I can see myself getting annoyed at panel gappage :(

I don't suppose you can shed any light on the 1.8T fitments? *prod*

P1000272.jpg

One of my old valvers with a late spec bonnet. Not the clearest in the photo, but the bonnet match from the front edge back to about 15cm's didn't look right at all! Further back the match was ok though.

The front edge of the late spec bonnet sits further forward than the early slam panel, so the bonnet lip doesn't match with the top of the headlights/grille. And the front of the late spec bonnet is far more curved than the early spec bonnet, so there is enough of a panel gap to get your little finger in! :o :pukeright:

Looked a bit of a mess imo, and there is no way I'd be fitting one if you were going to be getting a nice full respray! :salute:

Thanks Dec 8) I can actually see that picture!

No offence to your corrado of olde, but the bonnet does indeed look rather odd ;

EDIT: can't see the picture now

Well I can see the pictures now :). The nugget one looks good from a distance actually, but the up-close gappage is kinda :(. The lighter colour hides the hump a little bit more than Dec's grey one. I'm slowly warming to inverted bonnets :luvlove:

Well ive decided im going to rebuild my mk1 after 5 years of sitting there as a bare shell...Will definately 16v G60 the corrado at some stage though i think...

Neil.

Hi all,

The ABF motor fits perfectly into a Corrado, I've just done this engine swap myself.

I considered my options and came to the conclusion that the best base car to use for this conversion was the quite rare, and slow, Corrado 8v. The 8v has the same Digifant injection system as the ABF so it was just a case of plug'n'play really. The only real problem I had was fitting an airbox, the ABF one(out of a Passat) was about three feet wide, and the original Corrado one had a big MAF in the way. I will either get an induction kit or bodge the two air-boxes together.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

The ABF motor fits perfectly into a Corrado, I've just done this engine swap myself.

I considered my options and came to the conclusion that the best base car to use for this conversion was the quite rare, and slow, Corrado 8v. The 8v has the same Digifant injection system as the ABF so it was just a case of plug'n'play really. The only real problem I had was fitting an airbox, the ABF one(out of a Passat) was about three feet wide, and the original Corrado one had a big MAF in the way. I will either get an induction kit or bodge the two air-boxes together.

Hope this helps.

Ok a few questions for you out of curiosity. Which bonnet do you have early or late bulge type? Standard inlet manifold that runs over the rocker cover? What exhaust did you use and how close to the underside of the car is it? Not challenging you here just curious. :) Oh and er welcome to the forum. :salute: