Sign in to follow this  
JMC

prepping front bumper for respraying - correct way?

I have an old front bumper which I want to smooth off ready for my G60. At the moment the bumper is red (and a bit flaky) and the car is black, so I'm obviously going to be repainting it. Question is what's the best way to get the old paint off? I was going to use Nitromors, but my local garage warned me off that as it can soak into some plastics. So what is the best method folks?

Also it has had a bit of a knock and there is a small hole (approx 1 inch long) where it has split. Whats the best method to fix this - is there dedicated bumper filler, as presumably it needs to be more flexible than panel filler?

Any advice from anyone who's already done this would be most welcome folks.

Jonathan, as far as I'm aware you can get specific bumper/plastics filler that is loads more flexible that normal body filler, but I have no idea what its called, sorry. Nitromorse would most likely melt the buper, so I think sanding is probably the only course of action....

Yeah, I was starting to think Nitromors would be a bit nasty for it Stu. Looks like sanding it is then. Good job it doesn't need doing too quickly :lol:

I presume plastic primer is good enough to use as a base for spraying, but anyone who's done this please chip in - the more advice the better :)

Just give it to a paint shop, Shouldn't cost much more than £80 to paint and get a professional finish.. Remember a good finish is all in the prep

Really, even with making a small repair as well? Looking around on a number of other threads on here, I've seen costs of up to £340 for having a bumper redone Darren, which is why I was thinking of tackling some of the prep myself. If you have any recommendations of who would be able to do it for that price then I am all ears :) :)

Really, even with making a small repair as well? Looking around on a number of other threads on here, I've seen costs of up to £340 for having a bumper redone Darren, which is why I was thinking of tackling some of the prep myself. If you have any recommendations of who would be able to do it for that price then I am all ears :) :)

well i got myfront an rear bumpers painted,new rear arch welded in an blown in for 350quid

i did the plastic weldin to the front bumper but the guy @ the bodyshop did the rest 8) bookin myself back as i want a few other bits doin

Best way i hav found to sand it back is to use a palm sander! Dont need to use a really ruff pad just like 180 to start with! I use a plastic primer first but before puttin it on, put a little bit of thinners or pannel wipe on 2 cloth wipe it other with that first. Then i would use a high build primer because u can sand it back really smooth and should get rid of any little marks on the bumper if is an old bumper?

Best way i hav found to sand it back is to use a palm sander! Dont need to use a really ruff pad just like 180 to start with! I use a plastic primer first but before puttin it on, put a little bit of thinners or pannel wipe on 2 cloth wipe it other with that first. Then i would use a high build primer because u can sand it back really smooth and should get rid of any little marks on the bumper if is an old bumper?

Thanks for the advice. It is an old bumper. Would you sand it all the way back to the plastic, or just through the laquer and into the old paint layer? Sorry if this a dumb question but the more info I can get the better. Thanks. Presumably plastic primer has more give in it to allow for movement?

Thanks for the advice. It is an old bumper. Would you sand it all the way back to the plastic, or just through the laquer and into the old paint layer? Sorry if this a dumb question but the more info I can get the better. Thanks. Presumably plastic primer has more give in it to allow for movement?

hi dont sand back to the plastic if you can help it as it will fur up when you sand it and thats a pain to get rid if you do make sure you use really fine paper 400 grit + not less plastic scratches easy happy preping

Really all it needs is to be sanded back enough so the primer has somehtin to key to! :D

Cheers guys. Presumably where it is flaking it is safe to go back to the plastic, aslong as I use fine grade paper then. Looks like it's going to be a fun job :)

if you go right back to the plastic make sure you use a proper plastic primer to make the subsequent primer and paint coats stick properly. I got some transparent U-pol stuff from http://www.paints4u.com which seems to have worked well.

For the paint I used this: http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails. ... uctID=6056

and the laquer I used U-pol smart clear which was excellent and polished up really well.

Use a palm sander if you can, makes it much easier. I did the plastic front mask (see sig) and the front bumper as well as all the plastic door and wheel arch trims on my passat about a year ago and apart from one or two tiny stone chips on the front bumper theyve help up really well, including one of my door trims being reversed into by a transit van, wasnt even a scratch :)