Sign in to follow this  
dan allen

6-speed into a corrado

I would have thought transplanting the matching engine and box would be easier than just putting a 6 speeder onto an existing original engine, but may still require a lot of work depending on the driveshafts.

Im not been much use as usual so im going to be quiet now.

If you've got a VR then it's not tooooo hard to fit the 02M box as you can get most of the bits off the shelf to do it. Custom driveshafts and re-welding the gearbox mount are the only tough bits.

Custom driveshafts and re-welding the gearbox mount are the only tough bits

Are you going to do this with selotape and blu-tac Dom or 'properly' using an electric soldering iron?

Hi - it's a MK4 TDI engine on MK4 mounts (welded in) and driveshafts are custom to go from MK4-MK2 hubs and shorter than standard... I didn't actually do the swap but I have reciepts for litterally thousands of pounds worth of parts that were used...

If you just want to add 6 spd to an 02A box tho Quaife do a kit...

Might be worth looking into the 02S boxes out of the new mk5's and Audi's. There are apparently the same physical shape as the 02A. The use one final drive ratio, rather than two used in the 02M boxes and thus I'm pretty sure they have the same gearbox mountings. The only stumbling block will be the driveshaft flanges. I've not managed to find out if they are interchangeable with the Beetle 2.0 ones that mean you can use your existing 02A driveshafts.

I thought the MK5 still used the 02M, especially in the R32? But if they changed back to an 02A style box again, more power to us :lol:

The Quaife 6 speed is a bit overpriced, but is the easiest 6 speed solution as you don't need to touch anything other than the box internals.

Eurospec in the states do a 6 speed kit which looks to use old Gemini / VWMotorsport parts.

Do you actually NEED 6 gears though? If you want a more relaxed cruise, you can change 5th gear without dropping the box from the engine. It just pops out the end plate.

If you choose a Diesel 5th, be prepared for a monumental drop in revs when gunning it in 4th, then selecting 5th :lol:

is that the same box as the touran ?

Yup!

Type Code Vehicle 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th Final Drive

02S FYG Mk5 Golf, Touran, A3 3.78 2.06 1.45 1.11 0.88 0.73 3.65

02S GLB Mk5 Golf, Touran, A3 3.78 2.27 1.52 1.18 0.96 0.82 3.65

02S GQB Mk5 Golf, Touran, A3 3.78 2.27 1.52 1.18 0.96 0.82 3.65

02S GQL Mk5 Golf, Touran, A3 3.78 2.27 1.52 1.11 0.90 0.77 3.94

02S GQM Mk5 Golf, Touran, A3 3.78 2.27 1.52 1.11 0.86 0.73 3.39

02S GQN Touran 1.9TDi 3.78 2.06 1.45 1.11 0.86 0.73 3.65

02S GQP A3 2.0 FSi 3.78 2.27 1.52 1.18 0.96 0.82 3.65

02S GXV Mk5 Golf, Touran, A3 3.78 2.27 1.65 1.27 1.03 0.86 3.94

Hope that helps dude...

looks like a dead thread, but oh well.

just wanted to know if anyone has tried the 02S swap yet & with what result

i use a quaife 6speed and diff on my car (well will be once it's running).

had it in my old mk2 1.8T and it's an ace box for track work. plus you get that lovely straight cut gear whine :D and unlike the majority of gemini kits which replace just gear 3-6 it is the whole lot. and definitely capable of handling a fair amount of power!