Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Juddering in 1st at low speeds - possible clutch issue?

My G60 developed a juddering this morning, when in 1st and at low speed (5-10mph). Seemed to be a rotary juddering, so more engine/gearbox related than brakes related. Now it was really damp and humid and I'm wondering if that is what I'd expect to see if it was a plugs/leads issue? Any advice would be great folks.

try pulling the leads off and giving them a clean and check in the plug bores for any excess water/moisture etc - also check the integrity of the connection point inside the leads and on top of the plug - these can become corroded and give crap sparks

Cool, cheers will try the plugs and leads first. As for engine mounts, the front engine mount is a solid one, I suppose it could be one of he rear ones - hadn't thought of that. Thanks, gives me another thing to check :D

Mmmh, bit more on this. I've had a look at al the leads, they seem fine. The spark plug heads seam fine as well (no corrosion).

It doesn't judder on tickover, only seems to be bad when in 1st and with the clutch partially pressed. What does a failing clutch feel like, and is it safe?

Mmmh, bit more on this. I've had a look at al the leads, they seem fine. The spark plug heads seam fine as well (no corrosion).

It doesn't judder on tickover, only seems to be bad when in 1st and with the clutch partially pressed. What does a failing clutch feel like, and is it safe?

I have an audi that does exactly the same.

Under load in 1st gear when pulling away a judder rips through the car.

I can't see how it can be the ignition system tbh?!??

I have an audi that does exactly the same.

Under load in 1st gear when pulling away a judder rips through the car.

I can't see how it can be the ignition system tbh?!??

It's alright, the initial thought I had was the juddering was due to a misfire, hence the thoughts about the iginition system. However when I thought more about it, it seems to occur on riding the clutch in 1st, rather than anywhere else, hence I'm now owndering if it is the clutch...

Jon could be the Release bearing/ Mech beginning to fail too.

Is it just 1st or can you replicate it across other gears (say 2nd)

Jon could be the Release bearing/ Mech beginning to fail too.

Is it just 1st or can you replicate it across other gears (say 2nd)

Mmmh, yes it could be. Only really seen it in 1st, although that could be something to do with me going slow enough to feel it. Didn't do it today - looks as though it is going to be one of 'those' types of problems :roll:

Not enough right foot?

Not something I suffer from :lol: Besides this changed overnight earlier this week - one day it was fine, the next juddering. Maybe my foots got lighter :lol: :lol:

No, it seems to be day dependant and intermittent. Some days it's juddering, others it's not there. I am vering towards clutch though. According to the receipts it has never been done :shock: and I'm putting 210bhp and similar torque through it now. So fingers crossed it will be done in the next month or so.

No, it seems to be day dependant and intermittent. Some days it's juddering, others it's not there. I am vering towards clutch though. According to the receipts it has never been done :shock: and I'm putting 210bhp and similar torque through it now. So fingers crossed it will be done in the next month or so.

OK lets have a think about this.

A clutch translates the engines rotatry motion from the flywheel into the gearbox, if the clutch is worn/slipping it would do show signs of doing it when the torque is highest (Most load on clutch = more likely to slip). So if your clutch is slipping in 1st gear only (when torque is at its lowest due to the gearing) then it is not the clutch slipping.

Best way to check a dodgy clutch is to stick it in 5th at 30mph and floor it, if the revs rise sharply but the car doesn't accelerate then its a worn clutch.

As for what the problem is I would look at the ignition system again as your original post states it only occurs when its damp or humid, get some wet start/WD40 sprayed in the dizzy cap and on the rotor arm. Check the leads onto the coil as some moisture in there will mess the timing up a bit. As this only occurs under engine load and not at idle then that does not mean it is not an engine sensor etc problem as the engine is under more stress problems may only manifest then.

Oh, and dont ride the pedal either :nono: ;)

My VR6 had a judder when taking up the clutch, nothing at all at idle or when on the move, only at the biting point of the clutch, when moving away in 1st or sometimes changing into 2nd. New clutch sorted it.

My VR6 had a judder when taking up the clutch, nothing at all at idle or when on the move, only at the biting point of the clutch, when moving away in 1st or sometimes changing into 2nd. New clutch sorted it.

Mine does exactly this. Stealth said its nothing to worry about.