Sign in to follow this  
mattnorgrove

Brake lights still work with ignition off??

Is this normal, even with the key totallt removed, the brake lights still light when the pedal's pushed.

Any ideas anyone?

Also, recently noticed, with the ignition on/engine running, the headlight switch only lights when sidelights are selected, and goes out when you select dipped beam. Then when you switch off the engine and remove the key, the light on the switch is lit in both positions (sidelights and dipped beam).

Dodgy ignition switch maybe? And could a dodgy ignition switch cause the thing with the brake lights?

Thanks in advance... :D

Welcome to Corrado weird electrics syndrome!

Brake lights - Normal. MK1s did it, MK2s did it, MK3s do it etc etc.

I think ignition off power is supplied to the sidelights, brakes and indicators deliberately for safety reasons. Imagine if you had total engine failure on a hill and the cars behind couldn't see you braking?

As for the sidelights, probably normal too and have you noticed the high beams + heater fan quirk yet?! :lol:

it allows you to bump start the car without the key, only problem being the steering lock will still be on :lol:

same on the polo, golf, passat, caddy, ect.

we did this to the apprentices polo on an industrial estate car park, we wedged a lump of foam behind the headlight stalk and left his car doing circles in 1st gear with nobody in it :lol:

LOL, not tried that.....but if it's the same with a MK2 Golf......ignition off, or key out, put the fan speed on 2 or something, then flick the high beams on. The fan comes on too!!

yeah the same circuit that back feeds the fans also feeds the ignition, it wont work if you have an imobiliser (unless its wired very badly).

Ha! Glad its not just mine then!

What were they smokin when they wired these babies up?

Can see the point now of brake lights working with engine off. Me being a bit dense, not an uncommon occurence...

Welcome to Corrado weird electrics syndrome!

Brake lights - Normal. MK1s did it, MK2s did it, MK3s do it etc etc.

I think ignition off power is supplied to the sidelights, brakes and indicators deliberately for safety reasons. Imagine if you had total engine failure on a hill and the cars behind couldn't see you braking?

As for the sidelights, probably normal too and have you noticed the high beams + heater fan quirk yet?! :lol:

the heater fan thing works on old a 80s and coupes too freaked me out when i first stumbled on it thought i had a major problem but no they all do it vag group of that time in general

the headlight switch is normal to one part lights with the ign then the green circle or light with side lights then dip the green circle or light goes out again thats a v dub thing also passats , golfs etc

My car has just started behaving like you suggest (the first time I have seen this in many years of Corrado ownership) .... after running with dipped beam lights on, you get home, turn off the ignition, remove the key and eh??? ... the interior heater fan keeps running (and heated rear window light stays on)!

As suggested, (with key still out) flicking main beam at this point, turns everything off but they come back on again if you flick it back to dipped. Seems to be linked to the light switch (which pulses when you flick the main beam) since turning switch from on, down to side-lights or off and back to on resets everything to normal (fan stays off) but problem returns after the next time you have the lights on and remove the key. Could this be replated to a lighting relay somewhere behind the fuses perhaps?

I have had to replace both light and ignition switchs within the last 3 years or so with new items so would be disapointing if is anything to do with either of these wearing out or something. Anyone know how to cure this please - can't be 'normal' suerly?

Thanks,

David.

Mmm - thanks for that helpful advice :? !

I was really hinting at the previous posters comment of "they all do it, vag group of that time in general"... and mention of Golfs doing same thing. Just thought could maybe be some sort of 'factory test mode' or something which can be switched on/off somehow.