Sign in to follow this  
Kempy

Disturbing Discovery

Hi Guys

Today whilst driving around in my 92' valver I was expecting to hit a large milestone of 100,000 miles. I've had the car nearly 2 years and when I bought it (from a forum member) he told me it was on 83,000 which was good I thought. To my dismay the 100,000 was actually 200,000 the digital 1 is worn away or very faded, I'm very disappointed my car now becomes nearly unsellable nobody will buy it now as I was looking to sell it after it MOT.

I just thought i'd tell people my story and maybe people might be a little more honest or in my case more aware of the potential of a dodgy clock

Gutted!!

I wouldn't worry too much. I don't buy a car based on mileage, but on condition. There are plenty of other buyers out there that are the same. You have to look after a car to make it to 200k.

Its sure to effect alot of peoples evaluation OF it> it explains alot though

Well regardless of mileage what condition is it in, must be good as you bought it still. I would rather have a stonking condition high mileage car than low mileage shed.

Has it got the history, old MOT's service stamps etc?

Still gutting but may not be so bad.

I want to keep the car really, but it costing money all the time, I reckon its a good looker especially as its satin silver, main problem is that i'm a student with no money for another 6 months

hiding a 100,000 miles isn't an easy job if you think about service books, receipts etc. Its a horrible thing to find out though and for that I'm sorry :(

Have you got any comeback?

I still got the MOT from when I bought it which has 83,000 on it but I don't have one from before this which would be the one to have really..

I still got the MOT from when I bought it which has 83,000 on it but I don't have one from before this which would be the one to have really..

Well if the MOT testing station didnt smell a rat then I wouldn't beat yourself up about it really. I'm glad the scum that sold the car is no longer in the Corrado community but as the guys have said - high mileage is kind of a social stigma as opposed to a mechanical handicap.

Well it does start everyday and my daily rider I i'm kinda impressed by it. It is nearly 16 years old. I will probably find myself keeping it till I can afford a good VR6 as I don't see myself buying anything else at the moment that looks as good.

hi

two years ago next march I bought it for £2400 what I thought was 83,000, it was my first rado so I know what to look out for next time

Really sorry to read your post - but - I agree it's condition more than mileage - and I reckon once you get to a certain mileage, the higher it goes just looks all the more impressive!

Devil's advocate though - maybe the previous owner didn't know either? I know a guy who has an E class Merc and all the LCD bars on that mileometer have gone a bit dodgy - so maybe it's more common that we think?

Still - if they did cheat you - karma will no doubt kick in!

Worst case secnario......Probably no way to prove you haven't doen the mielage then?

Any service history?

Worst case secnario......Probably no way to prove you haven't doen the mielage then?

Any service history?

Not a lot, im sure its all saying less than 100,00 miles, i've not seen the history recently

Might be worth getting in touch with the previous owner?

Then again is he likely to have done over 83,00 miles when he owned it?

Yeah, it's a VW after all. Anything over 100k is just about run in!

Seriously, don't worry about it. The people who turn their noses up at a little number on the dash don't deserve such a fine automobile!

p.s. if you were selling on, you will easily sell it mate. Probs not for £2k, but you know someone on here would take care of it :thumb right:

cheers for the posts guys, I not to bothered now from what you've said, I'm probably keeping it till 3ook, unless I have a lottery win where I'll buy a storm! anyone got any front splitters spare?

Kempy

Cool to see you're not worried anymore, it sounds like its in good nick and if it start every time and has no niggles, then it sounds like it could easily make it to 300k!

As for the splitters I think maybe GSF sell them? If not them then some similar sounding company does.