Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Advice on best speakers, without an amp...

The Bose stuff is usually wired differently with odd impedances etc,

I'ts a bit of an ass, but you could take a mazda RX8 Bose spare wheel sub and put a different driver in it perhaps. You can sometimes pick them up on ebay for £20 ish.

Hey all i have not really been on here much in the past 12 months or so.

But hopefully i can add a little bit of light to your problem for the sound.

I installed 2 guys stereo's in their corrado's.

First install Setup consisted of:

Alpine 9856 + IPOD Control/Cable

Infinity Kappa 50.7cs

E-Audio 480Ab

2x Resonant Engineering RE8 (Custom Fibreglass enclosure, Left side hatch not using boot space)

Second corrado Setup consisted of:

Alpine 9887 +IPOD Control/Cable

Infinity reference 5.25" components

EAudio 280Ab

1x Polk Audio Momo 8" MM2084

Here is what i found with both systems, and things i did to make the front stage sound better

Firstly once the 5.25 are mounted, use some dacron and put piece approx 6"x6" behind the speaker and remount the door pocket/speaker pod back on to the door.

Re install door card. Mount the tweeters in the factory dash location. Have the tweeters aimed up at the window. Left side tweeter needs an extra 3 or 4 degrees towards the window so that both tweeters bounce of the window approx the same time. Also wire the Tweeters oposite to the woofers on the crossovers.

IE. Positive goes into positive of crossover and negative goes to negative of cross over.

Same applies to the woofer, This is where is becomes a little confusing to explain. But negative of crossover goes to positive of tweeter, and positive of crossover goes to negative of tweeter. I found this not only images better in the corrado (and the MK3 Golf) but becomes more smooth and all harshness dissapears.

Do this above and you should find a great deal difference in the sound in the front of the rado.

Now for the amp locations.

I mounted them on a board which was mounted on the left rear single fold down seat.

I have some pictures of the boot install in the dual RE8 setup, but none of the single 8" setup.

Either one of these setups you will enjoy.

However the first system with the Infinity Kappa 50.7cs where installed in the car running from the radio for approx 3 weeks.

This sounded really good with only the dacron mod and new speaker wiring from headunit to speakers (including crossover wires).

H

So I've just found an acoustic shelf in my parents loft from years ago and i know the 6x9's in it are no good but is it best to fit this and replace the 6x9's with a new pair or replace the standard 6x4's on the support shelves?????

I also have some pioneers that look like they'll fit the door pods so will this improve things too????

And lastly is it really worth doing anything with the ones on top of the dash??

Thanks Guys :wave:

I love my old sony head unit - CDX-CA850. Loads of cool features, looks smart as hell even today and suits the corrado dash mint imo. Very, very cheap on ebay these days too. I paid £400 quid just for the head unit years ago!

2x pre outs and a subwoofer out which i run to an amp in the boot for 2z 10" subs in home made shelf...Its a nice fit as per original and turns the boot into a bass box so to speak!

corraudio2.jpg

corraudio3.jpg

I run these alpines in the doors directly off the head unit.

corraudio4.jpg

And i run these off the head unit too.

Jbl gto in the rear shelf side sections, and jbl gto in the dash which have external cross overs. All off the head unit.

25-4-065.jpg

dashspeakersjbl150wrms.jpg

And the subs which run from amp from the subwoofer preout on the head unit, the bass is really clear and punchy, not farty and the sound from the dash/door speakers is superb :D

shelfblack.jpg

Don't mean to appear "thick" but doesn't wiring speakers "Backwards" hurt them in some way??? :confused4:

no it wont hurt them at all- audio signals are effectively an AC current and are pretty much symetrical around 0 volts- ie you get a positive and negative voltage accross the speaker alternately. Wiring them "backwards" jsut means they move the opposite way when the audio signal is applied.

What GLIDN is doing is reversing the phase of the tweeters in relation to the woofers in order to take into account the difference in distance the sound wave travels from each speaker to your ears. Crossovers are designed so that the two drivers (woofer and tweeter) are in phase with each other for a few hundred hertz either side of the crossover frequency, so that the sound waves from each driver dont cancel each other out (which would give a big dip in sound output around the crossover frequency). Analogue crossovers only roll the output off gradually (usually around -6DB per octave) so a woofer will still be outputting a small amount of treble in a 2-way system. If this is out of phase with the tweeter it can interfere with the stereo image and often gives rise to the "boom and tizz" sound of a lot of car stereo installs.

Mainly a case of experiment to see what sounds best as it also depends on the type of crossover slope used as well as to wether it will make a difference.

i got a new headunit the other day, and fitted some phoenix gold speakers (QX130) to the front doors, (no amp) and have some infinity speakers in place of the rears.

Doesn't sound great to me, only at low volume, as soon as i turn it up loud the speakers distort etc :(

is this a sign i need bigger speakers?

i got a new headunit the other day, and fitted some phoenix gold speakers (QX130) to the front doors, (no amp) and have some infinity speakers in place of the rears.

Doesn't sound great to me, only at low volume, as soon as i turn it up loud the speakers distort etc :(

is this a sign i need bigger speakers?

Might be a daft question but have you wired the speakers up correctly?

because this can make them sound flat at low volume and distort easily at higher volumes.