Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Soundproofing the roof - worth it?

Okay folks, will be taking my headlining out soon. While it's out is it actually worth soundproofing the roof (given I have done the boot and front doors and rear quarters)? Has anyone actually done is?? And if so what is the best thing to use - dynamat or the lighter acoutic foam that audioscape used to sell? Any advice would be great thanx.

Hey fella...

I'm not actually sure how much good it will do (no expert) but i've been informed that Second Skin is much better and much cheaper?!

It was the damplifier stuff listed on here..

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/accessories-sound-deadening-c-73_72.html?cadid=2c1f3091099c414210d1257ab1e9c639

Having said that, I'm not sure on the weight of this and if it would have any effect on the roof :|

I'd also be interested to see if anyone has actually done this!

cheesewire has done his roof - best ask him. IN fact if you want to soundproof anything else ask him too, he's prob done it too :lol:

Indeed I have :lol:

I had the rooflining down anyway to fix the sunroof, so thought I'd give it a whirl!

It's impressive from the outside tapping on the roof as it sounds like you're knocking on concrete :lol: From within the car though, it doesn't really make much difference to the noise levels, so I wouldn't bother ;-)

None of the above!

I used Audioscape's stuff, which is a lot like Dynamat....but a lot cheaper.

Skinz is the stuff Audioscape sell I believe? It's thicker than Dynamat (3mm versus 2mm) and a fair bit cheaper, although you can get similar prices for it online if you shop around. They do also sell 2mm stuff though.

I've got a virgin Corrado that I'm going to be sound deadening soon, so have been thinking about the options.

Under the rear bench and boot carpet and the rear 1/4s are going to be 3mm Skinz. The front doors are probably going to be 2mm stuff because it gets a bit too heavy otherwise and the hinges sag :(

I'm also quite keen to get some kind of acoustic foam down too, so it keeps the cabin quieter. The Skinz/Dynamat bitumen sheet stuff stops vibrations, but it doesn't soak up sound, so the foam on top should do. I'm looking at possibly some stuff to replace the crappy grey foam on the backs of the door cards and/or stuff to go under the boot carpet and rear seats/rear 1/4s, but not sure what to use yet.

I need to have a chat with James when I've got some dosh to spend, but at the moment I just need to sell the old Corrado to free up some money.