Sign in to follow this  
colsy

Mk2 golf 16V plugs in VR

Hi All,

just been reading a thread that sugested stealth use Mk2 golf 16V plugs in VR's, is there any truth behind this? whats the advantage, has anyone had experience with this? i'm gunna be doing a service soon so was just searching for any plug preferances, my VR is slightly mod'd BMC, Motorsport development chip, samco's any opinions on what plugs might suit?

Cheers,

Col.

Doesn't sound right......why not just replace them with standard VR plugs? or just clean up the current ones?

Hi Mate,

I saw this on a previous thread, i was just wondering WHY??? if stealth use them in preference to standard VR plugs it must be for good reason????

I wouldn't use Plats on an old VR engine now...

Bosch FR8LDC work well (and they are the correct plug for the engine)

£1.75 each so at £10 for 6 I would change every year!

I wouldn't use Plats on an old VR engine now...

Bosch FR8LDC work well (and they are the correct plug for the engine)

£1.75 each so at £10 for 6 I would change every year!

hi were do you buy your plugs from cheers

The 16v plugs are reccomended for super or turbo charged VRs...

What'd the sciences of that then Mr Waldron?

hi were do you buy your plugs from cheers

Halfords (with trade card) but GSF also sell them...

cheers :salute:

This is a guess, but perhaps 16v plugs are slightly hotter so running them in a boosted engine is recommended over the std n/a vr6 plugs? :shrug:

This is a guess, but perhaps 16v plugs are slightly hotter so running them in a boosted engine is recommended over the std n/a vr6 plugs? :shrug:

I think the VR plugs are 5s and the valvers 6s, without going to look through my parts collection in my boot. They also nice and cheap from the German and the Swede.

It's not all valver plugs just the super yttrium ones that are supposed to be good for the VR. Apparently the VR doesn't like randm multi electrode plugs, it seems happiest with the BKE5U twin electrode plugs or whatever they are. Mind you the quad electrode ones are supposed to be cack, yet my valver loved them, for 30k miles... :)

Yeah, every car that i've put the super 4's in has run much better as in noticibly so......might try them in my valver if you're recommending them?

Well, the standard ones seem pretty good, but I still made 144bhp on the old tired 4s. See after this RR day if there's any difference maybe...

It's not all valver plugs just the super yttrium ones that are supposed to be good for the VR. Apparently the VR doesn't like randm multi electrode plugs, it seems happiest with the BKE5U twin electrode plugs or whatever they are. Mind you the quad electrode ones are supposed to be cack, yet my valver loved them, for 30k miles... :)

Yep, all true and best for forced fed VRs.

VR6's have quite a weak spark at idle, which is why it's not keen on the 4 prong Boschers....they have too much resistance or a spark gap the VR doesn't like.

Personally I'd just use BKR5E plugs in the VR6. Cheap as chips :-)

Hi

Just measured the resistance of a plug, I was surprised to see 5000 ohms. Is that normal ?

With 6000 ohms of the lead, that makes 11000 ohms. So what voltage will the spark be ? Whats the point of the high resistance of the plug ?