Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

god i give up with my car, had enough!!!!

So i go out this morning to start on replacing my bottom ball jointsand track rod ends, i start to jack my car up and my jack gives way and bends (2 ton jack used many times before and been fine).

and to top that off i have a painful hip which is playing up.

so now ive gotta find a garage that will do the work for me and not charge an arm and a leg!

Hi Neil,

I may be available friday afternoon if thats an option for you. i'm not a car mechanic tho...not to say i carn't pretend to be for a few hours!! :scratch:

Col.

yeah i need a hug, and someone to fix my car!!!

it was one of these..

03010715.jpg

one of the supporting metal arms came off so there was only one lifting the car up, thank god i wasnt underneith it!

Allways put axle stands under, never rely on just the jack!

Seconded. *hug*

yeah i always do put axel stands under, i meant like that i wasnt reaching to put the stands under or anything.

looks like this is gonna cost me more then i thought...

I have used Thorncliffe Garage in Chapeltown round the corner from Source if you know where thay are mate, quite reasonably priced.

PM me if you need the details.

Your jack broke and you've got a bad back - and that's the cars fault?! :)

I know how these things can get you down sometimes but - put it in perspective mate! :)

The support on the jack looks small. The one i use, which is one my dad has always had and its older then i am, has a saucer size support - Much more sturdy. Where you get the jack from and how much? Scares me to death jacking a car up despite what ive said. Scared the jack will slip and the car will hit me or fall on me.

it wasnt that exact jack, but very simila, ive had it ages and i recon its just got abused to much.

the arm on my jack buckled too, the split ring came off the the arm swang down and buried itself in the floor just as i'm lowering the car!

does suck matey, but you will feel better about it soon.

try a hot bath or hot water bottle strapped to your back with a belt for some relief? My back hurts sometimes and i'm only 25! :(

it wasnt that exact jack, but very simila, ive had it ages and i recon its just got abused to much.

Fair enough mate.

Think you're lucky that you werent under the car when the jack gave way. Another jack can be bought.

nah i have ankylosing spondylitis which is a disease that cauaes "a chronic, painful, degenerative inflammatory arthritis primarily affecting spine and sacroiliac joints, causing eventual fusion of the spine"

not fun at all and its giving me greif!

got to be up at 8am to go to the doctors 2morow.

altho on a good note my tyres should be here end of this week!

Ouch :(

Apologies for dismissing the bad back so easily mate!

no worries mate, got antiboitics now so should get better soon.

just wish i had a 4 post ramp i could on on my car under!

A geezer on another forum I use has designed this:

**OOPS :oops:**

Could be a winner...

Nice shiney jack.. i need a new one. The limp-wristed piece of crap of a jack that came with the car collapsed on me last week when i was changing a wheel at 4 in the morning, bending itself and part of the body whilst wedging itself between the wheel and the inner arch.

A geezer on another forum I use has designed this:

*Deleted*

Could be a winner...

Good idea, but I can see issues with this....

Decent axle stands normally triangulate the load over a large area -that stand doesn't look terrbily stable alone.

Will the wheels on the front take the load without splaying out? Normally jacks have wheels under the jack or a roller between the front.

It might end up being a crap jack and a crap axle stand...... But a very good idea for the home mechanic......interesting

Mate. I have the same condition. Had it since I was 13. Makes life a real challenge some days. Only in pain most days. Im taking part in a medical study because the National ank spond society say the scientists have discovered 2 of the 3 genes that cause the condition which could lead to better meds or even cure ( doubtful ). Ask your doctor to look into it. Also the condition can in a lot of cases burn itself out in time. You probably know all this already though. Got mri scans next. great!!

In a way Im lucky. My girlfriend helps out with car stuff when I feel rubbish. She put my vr engine in with me giving guidance.

wow,fellow corrado owner and AS(anky spondy) sufferer!

i went to doctors this morning and got about 8 weeks worth of tablets, nice and big and pink, wow the fun!

its a right pain in the arse, excuse the pun!

i went on the NASS website to have a look, but they want u to join and pay, saw one membership was £250!!! for that id want some hardcore drugs to make it go away!

past few days have been hell, couldnt walk at all, but now its eased up with the tablets.

ive had it since i was about 14ish, was bedsit in hospital for a month whilst they tried to work out what was wrong with me, they never found on what it was after that month, but only found it few years later, and now im 25, my mum only found out 3 months ago she has it aswell!

looks like its not a very well known thing to the doctors.

have you got them reet wierd exercises to do where it looks like your flying like superman?