Sign in to follow this  
albion

Power Gains

hi everyone

Im new to the site and would appreciate some advice.

I have just bought a 95 vr6, so pleased with it wanted one for ages.

Ive recently had it serviced and spent a fair amount of money on it and its running tip top now.

After having a lot of work done i am now interested in increasing the power.

I have already ordered a full miltech exhaust, which air filter is best for the vr ?

Which cams should i go for and which ecu ? Has anyone fitted a lightened flywheel and upgraded throttle body and if so which ones ? and did you notice any diffrence ? and is it worth having the manifold polished ?

I'm sure that most people will point you towards a supercharger. They certainly seem to be the best value per bhp.

I'm sure that most people will point you towards a supercharger. They certainly seem to be the best value per bhp.

I would have to agree....

I went down the NA route first and its expensive for the gains you see.

:)

i think you will find that around these here parts that if it is performance gains you are after then people will generally point you in the direction of boost.

Thats the observation that i have made in my time on this forum.

Welcome to the-corrado.net btw.

Or if you search around you can find items like this for sale :

BMC CDA £75

268's £140

Enlarged throttle £90

Decat £30

Exhaust £150

unichip £50 ~ mapping ~£150(yet to find out)

with the above on a healthy engine should see 210-220bhp, not bad for under a grand. And if you can use a spanner all easy enough to fit.

True £1k will buy you a supercharger, but you then need to look at uprating other items such as engine mounts oil cooler and then mapping on top. Dont get me wrong its a great route to go down, but not for everyone :)

About once every month someone posts up saying "what's the best way to tune my VR6?" and though three years ago you would have got suggestions about VSR manifolds, chips, exhausts, throttle bodies etc offering modest gains for modest monies, these days the mantra of the forum seems to be "get a supercharger"..!

But don't believe the hype: unless you're pretty good with a spanner you won't get a s/c anywhere near working for a grand, and let's face it, a grand and a half will buy you an entire Corrado .. !

It's not always about cost.

I've done the NA tuning, done the S/C tuning and decided turbos are the way forward. If I put cost first, then I would have just bought an S reg Golf SDI and a picnic blanket and panama hat for the parcel shelf.

If you can afford to do what you want to do, go for it. Don't compromise and don't be swayed by others....especially by those who've never owned a Supercharger ;-)

If I put cost first, then I would have just bought an S reg Golf SDI and a picnic blanket and panama hat for the parcel shelf.

I could see you driving that Kev :lol:

If you are not handy with a spanner then I would say cost has a lot to do with your options 8)

If you are not handy with a spanner then I would say cost has a lot to do with your options 8)

You don't necessarily need ot be handy with a spanner just willing i'd say as there are many a folk on this forum who are handy with spanners that if asked nicely would be willing to help. Isn't that right Kev/Karl/Dave? :lol:

There is only 1 applicable saying here and it goes

How fast you want to go depends how deep your pockets are.

1 exception been corradovr6 nos which is still alot of money for his but for the BHP per £ is a bloody bargain.

Also yes chargers can be bought for 1K plus but then look at Herisites, it started out as i can charge my VR for 1k but then through various things out of his control costs have spiralled slightly and would have been worse if it was not for cheesemeister.

Tuning does not always/ever come cheap for big gains, i have gained almost 100% in BHP and 110% torque over standard but the cost of doing so was astronomical due to not been handy with the spanners, to put it in perspective the cost of doing so would tune my EVO if i had 1 to 500 - 600 BHP, which would be nice but i dont want a fast EVO i wanted a fast corrado.

2p worth anyway :scratch:

Also yes chargers can be bought for 1K plus but then look at Herisites, it started out as i can charge my VR for 1k but then through various things out of his control costs have spiralled

Like pouring traction fluid all over the floor :lol:

Tuning does not always/ever come cheap for big gains, i have gained almost 100% in BHP and 110% torque over standard but the cost of doing so was astronomical due to not been handy with the spanners

Indeed. It's always been the case on any car! Aftermarket component producers aren't daft. They know what gives feck all power (exhausts, filters etc) and what does (turbos, capacity increases), and price the bits accordingly.

If turbos were £50, everyone would have one and we can't have that, can we? ;-)

Labour accounts for a huge proportion of the overall cost though, so it does help if you have space and a good toolset.

to put it in perspective the cost of doing so would tune my EVO if i had 1 to 500 - 600 BHP, which would be nice but i dont want a fast EVO i wanted a fast corrado.

Yeah, and watch it go bang 50 miles later :lol:. The officially sanctioned FQ400 is a prime example of how unreliable that engine is when you push it! 200+hp per litre is never going to last long. It's too highly strung.

In the same vain, I could have bought a 911 with what I've spent on mine over 5 years, but comparisons like that aren't worth dwelling on.

I could have bought a 911 with what I've spent on mine over 5 years, but comparisons like that aren't worth dwelling on.

LOL, because you'd cry?! :)

I've spent far too much on my C over the years too, but I console myself with the fact that it has cost me less than a brand new bland-mobile would have done in the same time. (And mine is only slightly different from standard..)

Also yes chargers can be bought for 1K plus but then look at Herisites, it started out as i can charge my VR for 1k but then through various things out of his control costs have spiralled

Like pouring traction fluid all over the floor :lol:

:(

[quote name="cheesewire

to put it in perspective the cost of doing so would tune my EVO if i had 1 to 500 - 600 BHP' date=' which would be nice but i dont want a fast EVO i wanted a fast corrado.[/quote]

Yeah, and watch it go bang 50 miles later :lol:. The officially sanctioned FQ400 is a prime example of how unreliable that engine is when you push it! 200+hp per litre is never going to last long. It's too highly strung.

In the same vain, I could have bought a 911 with what I've spent on mine over 5 years, but comparisons like that aren't worth dwelling on.

Exactly my sentiments, not sure what 306bhp and 1874cc equates to but mine is officially a highly strung four banger :D that still gets used and abused whenever its out of the garage.

I do not dwell either like i said i have got what i wanted, whilst its everybody else who says i could have had this or that but its not what i wanted.

On a off topic note does anybody know what maxed out 1000cc injectors would equate to on an EVO 6 2.3 stroker kit and most likely a big feck off turbo would be.