Sign in to follow this  
colsy

old allies clash swords, german vs jap

The boy racer inside me raised his ugly head this afternoon when a guy in a 200 sx nissan provoked me on a desolate backroad (national limit) he got a bit of a shock when he couldnt overtake on the straights and then fell behind in the corners a bit shocked my self but never the less goes to show that a nice big torqey lump can get the up on a jap blown 2lt! I'm still a child at heart! might av to treat the old girl to a bit of something for putting up a good show! Maybe sum dodo juice!

Not surprised really- they're pretty identical power-wise, and the 200 SX is rear wheel drive so can't deal with the twisties as well as a C. A few months ago I had a friendly tussle with a 300ZX on the way to work (mixture of A/B roads- quite twisty), and I actually caught him up and more than matched him! It was the bends that got him- it looked a real handful :shock: Reckon he'd have got away on a dual carriage way though...

the 200 SX is rear wheel drive so can't deal with the twisties as well as a C.

I'm not being funny here, (Honestly :D ) but since when did front wheel drive have the edge over rear wheel drive through the corners? Virtually every 'proper' sports car on the planet has rear wheel drive because its better from that point of view surely...

Rear wheel drive is better at getting the power down, but the rear loves to slide out around corners, making the car a bit of a handful, especially so with Japanese rear wheel drive cars- that's why they're always used for drifting. I've driven a couple of 200 SXs, and very nearly bought one- really like them, but they are no way near as nimble as a C in standard form. Have a look on SXOC for all the 'I lost it at the roundabout' type stories ;)

Super cars are a whole different ball game as they are set up so well that they get a balance between power delivery and handling.

I'm not disputing the fact that the 200sx is well known for being tail happy, that is a weakness of that particular car. Also the Corrado is obviously near the top end of fwd cars for general handling abilities and cornering. However, not wishing to start an argument :lol: , fwd was developed to maximise passenger space and to provide 'safe' handling characteristics (ie understeer). Imo most of the best handling cars are rwd.

Maybe my wording wasn't great- I was mainly talking about Japanese rear wheel drive cars - I think we're in agreement ;) :lol:

Rear wheel drive is better at getting the power down, but the rear loves to slide out around corners, making the car a bit of a handful,

Bit of a sweeping generalisiation there!.

Thats a bit like saying every front wheel drive car will understeer off into the hedge at every corner :lol:

Blimey! Wish I'd kept my trap shut :lol: I was talking (in the main) about Japanese cars, and to be honest, don't think that is a particularly sweeping generalisation :bad-words:

Hmmmmmm... I don't see how "Rear wheel drive is better at getting the power down, but the rear loves to slide out around corners, making the car a bit of a handful" translates into "every front wheel drive car will understeer off into the hedge at every corner"!!?

I get your point Cazza. Add the fact that boost kicking in mid corner will make an already tail happy car a bit more... well tail happy!

Anyway back on topic those 200sx are ugly as hell but i really like em... explain that!

As an ex 200sx owner i'm going to shock you.

Have to agree that the Corrado is a far superior car if applying power whilst cornering.

The 200sx doesn't like you stamping on the peddle through the twisties and around roundabouts.

I can tell you that through experience.

In a straight line the S13 and s14(a) 200sx when running correctly at standard boost will just have the edge over a standard VR6.

Now that's my opinion and i'm not generally a fan of font wheel drive at all.

Hi all,

suppose it depends on the drivers too, i've been using that particullar stretch of road 5 days a week for over 5 years now, and know all the corners well, i was pushing the limit in my corrado + im running koni dampers & H&R springs (installed and set up at stealth) with toyo proxy tyres (all three components work well together), my cars producing 207 bHP. i think the 200sx is tweeked tho, He was catching up slightly in the straights. the guy lives in my villeage, will ask him about his sx when i see him. great to read Valerians comments, him having had both.

cheers,

Col.

Rear wheel drive is better at getting the power down, but the rear loves to slide out around corners, making the car a bit of a handful,

Thats a bit like saying every front wheel drive car will understeer off into the hedge at every corner :lol:

Not really. He mentions RWD at the beginning of the sentence as a generalisation, and then everything after the comma is particular to the 200sx to which he is referring. You know this because he says "the car" and not "the cars" or "them" which he would if he was making a sweeping generalisation. Basic grammar.

As an ex 200sx owner i'm going to shock you.

Have to agree that the Corrado is a far superior car if applying power whilst cornering.

The 200sx doesn't like you stamping on the peddle through the twisties and around roundabouts.

I can tell you that through experience.

In a straight line the S13 and s14(a) 200sx when running correctly at standard boost will just have the edge over a standard VR6.

Now that's my opinion and i'm not generally a fan of font wheel drive at all.

LOL, I spot a "my XXXXXXXXXXXX is better than your VR6" thread coming on again! :lol: :brickwall: :fondle: :drinking: :bonk:

Not really. He mentions RWD at the beginning of the sentence as a generalisation, and then everything after the comma is particular to the 200sx to which he is referring. You know this because he says "the car" and not "the cars" or "them" which he would if he was making a sweeping generalisation. Basic grammar.

It can be taken two ways,

Upto the comma could be rear wheel drive in general and after specific to the 200sx and thats how i interpreted it (and so did my Missus who has a degree in English Language!).

Not going to get into another discussion as a difference of opinion towards the Corrado is frowned upon it seems.

Horses for courses, some prefer RWD aand some FWD.

Ive had both.

In general RWD is quicker on or near the limit,

FWD everytime poor weather comes into the equation.

Aside from the rwd vs fwd, power, turbo, etc. issues, in a head-to-head I usually find it comes down to who has the most balls (or the least brains). I got absolutely nailed by a Ford Fiesta the other day. That was because he was prepared to do 90 down a totally bendy lane, straight past me on a blind corner at night. Chased him for a bit, but didn't really want to die so had to give up.

Went home slightly shamed, but at least I'm alive...

Let me put things this way.

I live in Devon where there is lots of twisty lanes (obviously).

Now which car out of a 200sx and a Corrado do i feel more confident (personally) to go booting around those lanes in?

Answer to that question is a Corrado.

Are there any other rear wheel drive cars that i would do the same in?

Answer to this question is yes but they are much wider and lower than a Corrado and have at least 100bhp more than a VR6.

It can be taken two ways,

Upto the comma could be rear wheel drive in general and after specific to the 200sx and thats how i interpreted it (and so did my Missus who has a degree in English Language!).

Not going to get into another discussion as a difference of opinion towards the Corrado is frowned upon it seems.

Horses for courses, some prefer RWD aand some FWD.

Ive had both.

In general RWD is quicker on or near the limit,

FWD everytime poor weather comes into the equation.

So you agree with BoostMonkey then? If that's how you interpreted it, I don't see what your argument is :? Do you disagree about RWD being better at getting the power down? Do you disagree that the 200SX can be a little slippy slidey through the bends? :?

I'd agree with your closing generalisation, too :thumbleft:

Im saying that quote above was the sweeping statement and it could be interpreted as such,

If it wasnt meant to be then fair enough.

RWD obviously has more grip off the line due to weight transfer.

Personally i dont think the 200SX in S14 guise at least is what id call slippy slidey round bends unless provoked,

Sure it can push the back end wide under provocation pretty much the same way any RWD car with a decent amount of poke can do so if your brutal.

Having owned 325i E30, Alpina B3 2.7,E36 328 Sport,E34 BMW 540i manual, E34 M5 3.8 amongst others all could be made to step out at will, the 325 was labelled as a bit of a handfull in the wet yet in the dry you would get understeer before oversteer,the E36 would also understeer and so would the E34's.

Its very rare for most modern'ish RWD cars to oversteer first, understeer usually preceeds this.

The 200's make great drift cars because they're cheap, well balanced and have plenty of power especially when played with.

I did the boost upgrade mod to my mates S14 which took it straight upto approx 250-260bhp for nothing.

I also fitted a Walbro pump.

Id say most of what you meet on the roads is down to driver skill and how far someone wants to push things, going fast in a straight line is easy.