Sign in to follow this  
Matt GTi

Spoiler only works manually.

Hi guys, I had the stereo from my MKII fitted to my VR yesterday, and everything was fine untill I got upto 70ish MPH, and the spoiler hadn't gone up. It still works manually, but it wont go up at 56, or down under 10. Has the guy at the stereo place cut a wire he shouldn't have?

Cheers for the help.

Nope, he's not cut a wire that he shouldn't have, he's CONNECTED a wire he shouldn't have! :? :lol:

There's a blue wire in the corrado's wiring loom which is connected to the speed sensor on the gearbox. Some stereos use this so that the faster you go, the louder the stereo gets, which is what it's for. The problem is that a lot of fitters think that this wire is for switched aux power from the head unit (ie to turn on Amps, or an electric aerial etc) and so connect it to that part of the new stereo's wiring. This stops the signal getting to the spoiler control unit and so your spoiler stops working automatically.

Disconnect that wire and your spoiler will magically start working again... 8)

wen you say manualy do you mean with the switch inside the car, because on mine the black winder in the boot that you can wind up the spoiler manualy with clicked out so it wouldn't work by its self. Try pushing the small black winder up up so it click's

Henny is spot on, although I don't know how many Corrados actually had a volume sensitive stereo fitted!

This problem never really occurs if people use the standard ISO connectors all Corrados came with. It's only when fitters hack the stereo loom up that problems occur!

Kev

That's exactly what he had to do Kev, as whoever fitted the other guys stereo looked like he just threw it at the dash, and where ever all the wires landed he connected them. It was a right mess!

Stereo and alrams fitters are scum. I've never met one who can do the job neatly.

Just because it's all hidden behind the dash they think they can make as much mess as they want.

For anyone considering getting an alarm or stereo fitted, remove the shelving under the dash before they come, and hide it away. that way, you'll be able to see what he's done before he goes, and if it's a mess, make him do it again or refuse to pay. Don't let them hide all the mess and walk away.

Handy hint on the spolier wiring though, cheers.

I thought this was what the G60 Aktiv stereo was all about, wasn't that standard fit initially on the G60's.

My Alpine head unit senses interior noise levels in the car instead, so you get more volume if you open the sunroof or drive on a noisy road surface, works pretty well too.

David.

Henny is spot on, although I don't know how many Corrados actually had a volume sensitive stereo fitted!

This problem never really occurs if people use the standard ISO connectors all Corrados came with. It's only when fitters hack the stereo loom up that problems occur!

Kev

Stereo and alrams fitters are scum. I've never met one who can do the job neatly.

Just because it's all hidden behind the dash they think they can make as much mess as they want.

For anyone considering getting an alarm or stereo fitted, remove the shelving under the dash before they come, and hide it away. that way, you'll be able to see what he's done before he goes, and if it's a mess, make him do it again or refuse to pay. Don't let them hide all the mess and walk away.

Handy hint on the spolier wiring though, cheers.

Yeah I agree. Some fitters make a right mess behind the dash but whilst not excusing their tendencies to break clips and shelf supports, I do think the alarm manufacturers are to blame aswell. For example, does my Clifford Concept 300 or 30 (can't remember what it is) really need 4 boxes? They've all been shoved behind the centre console where it gets very hot and they're just sitting there, held in place solely by being wedged inbetween bits of the heater distribution box and the console.

I think that's where my heater problems began aswell as I noticed the muppets had cable tied one of the alarm looms to one of the heater control cables.

The large plastic clips that hold the bottom of the shelves to the floor have been discarded because they couldn't be arsed to fit them back again.

I'm sorry, but that all constitutes as damage in my book and they should be liable.

K

grrrrrr......!

Funny thing my spoiler has been behaving strangely. After reading this thread I was out on a little trip to the shop which as usual turned into a blast up the nearest dual carriageway, turned the stereo off to listen to the V6 and up goes the spoiler. So, now I can operate the spoiler with the stereo on/off....Nice. Will sort the blue wire out, ta Henny.

Dan

to be sure its the radio, just turn it off, or disconnect it via ISO block, that will tell you if its the radio, i´d say 99% thats your problem

Good to hear, Matt :)

I'll move this to the Common Questions forum seeing as though it's no longer a problem for you.

Edit: Change of forum :)