dinkus

The definitive VR6 cooling guide

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but my aux water pump comes on with the ignition but stops as soon as the ignition is turned off. Everything else seems fine and I've replaced every sender within the last few months. Should I be looking at the fan controller relays as the aux pump is defo working.

mine does exactly the same!

If you have a late VR6 with 3 fuses in the fan control module, then this is normal, the aux pump only runs on when the ignition is off on these cars, if the temperature is above a certain level and is triggered by one of the sensors in the thermostat housing.

Hmm this thread reapearing has made me reinvestigate my issues with this and only this morning as I was parking up at work the cooling fans came on. Then when I parked up and turned the car off everything cut out, the aux pump and the fans. I switched the ignition on and the fans cut it again. My missus and I are both sure that when we got the car we could hear the aux pump working as we walked away from the car.

I checked the other day and I think it has three fuses, it is an auto with air con if that helps? :shrug:

Edited to say, does anyone know which relay it is that can cause issues. I can open it up and have a look at work if I knew which one it was. Cheers

Blue, 2-pin plug. VAG part number 025 906 041 A (about £8)

ECU (always there)

Can I suggest updating the above, to mention that an O ring is needed when replacing the sensor? I just bought a genuine blue coolant sensor but wasn't advised to buy O-ring N 903 168 02 at the same time - very annoying.

Cheers

Chris

Blue, 2-pin plug. VAG part number 025 906 041 A (about £8)

ECU (always there)

Can I suggest updating the above, to mention that an O ring is needed when replacing the sensor? I just bought a genuine blue coolant sensor but wasn't advised to buy O-ring N 903 168 02 at the same time - very annoying.

Cheers

Chris

Ah yes, forgot about the O-rings! First post updated :)

If you mean very annoying in the context that we forgot to mention the O ring, did you not think to use your common sense that a plumbing part might need a seal of some kind? :roll:

Yep! - kev's sticking up for our dinkypoos. :salute:

And that, folks, is because we all lurve him so much.

:lol:

In what context are you using the words 'lurve him' :lol:

Probably something along the style accompanied by a Barry White track for you dudes down south.

For us up here so far away? Well, we can only dream. :camp:

very annoying that the vw parts man didnt tell me what part i need with the sensor, so i had to look it up myself :p. Therefore maybe add it to the thread so people know what part to ask for when ordering.

When i went back He gave me one for free and apologised for not remembering to tell me..

All other parts that have a "once only" seal, such as the oil filter, thermostat, water pump etc all come with seals. The fact the sensors don't come with seals suggests the original ones can be reused perhaps? I've certainly never replaced them and not had any problems.

Agreed though, the dealer should have mentioned it being as it was right front of his face on the computer screen!!

And yeah it's true, I do lurve Dinkus :luvlove: . But it was a one way relationship and he emigrated to Canada to get away from me :(

If you dont hear the aux pump staying on after switching engine off, does it mean the pump is knackered or could it be something else? I've been noticing for the past few days I never hear the water pump going at it (oo-er) which has me a tad worried.

Any advise boys(/girls) ?

If you dont hear the aux pump staying on after switching engine off, does it mean the pump is knackered or could it be something else? I've been noticing for the past few days I never hear the water pump going at it (oo-er) which has me a tad worried.

Anyone?

guys i've just collected this part VAG part number 701 959 481 which is supposed to be the 3 pin in a row radiator fan switch, but what I have been given is the triangle shaped one which won't fit my early vr

can anyone who's bought one of these confirm this is a mistake by VW labelling/ picking the part wrong, or does the first post need to be updated?

am not having a go if its the latter, just keen to firstly resolve and to avoid others ordering this £28 in error

ok after doing a bit of research am fairly sure the radiator fan switch part numbers are the wrong way round in first post - please advise if i'm wrong

1. standard 251 959 481c / 92-82 & 97-87 / three pins in a row 22x1.5 screw

2. low temp 701 959 481 / 87-77 & 92-82 / three pins in a triangle (later vr's) 22x1.5 screw

3. low temp 251 959 481k/ 87-76 & 93-82 / three pins in a row (early vr's) 22x1.5 screw

i've ordered from pictures so fairly sure its right but will confirm when i get it next week

Anyone?[/quote:22cmtlwr]

same situation myself, i've got a new 'yellow' temp sender (which incidentally aren't yellow anymore) and i'll be doing coolant change next weekend now so will let you know if it fixes mine

same situation myself, i've got a new 'yellow' temp sender (which incidentally aren't yellow anymore) and i'll be doing coolant change next weekend now so will let you know if it fixes mine

How did you get on mate?

Anyone?[/quote:3fb619qk]

Late cars only have the pump run on if they are above a certain temperature.

yep sorry, meant to post back, figured from looking at different places that only the golf VR's and later rados as Toad says have the fan run on... that was after spliting my fan control unit and replacing sender :)

am tempted to wire an overun facility in myself tho just for the aux pump, using a thermotime switch or similar, not given it full thought yet.

DG Autotech are launching a fan controller that can do it for you I expect.

sounds good, do they have a launch date yet?

Hi all,

Need a bit of advice regarding temps -

The story goes ...

The temp gauge on my VR sits at around 70 when driving. Tonight my mechanic was doing a few checks, and the car was allowed to idle to see what the gauge did. It went up to 90 - great as it hasnt been at this temp for a while (the gauge anyway). The needle the continued to rise as expected and when it got to 100 the 2nd stage fans came on. - not sure why the first stage didnt. Though they did when i switched engine off.

Anywyay, the fans cooled it back to 90, then switched off. Great its sat at 90 degrees. I switched engine off and was told to see how it goes tonight and tomorrow and come back Friday aft. Had a chat for a couple of mins then i started car and set off home. Watching the gauge it didnt rise back to 90 despite it being sat at that temp minutes before, it sat around 70 degrees. But whilst driving it slowly dropped to about between the bottom thicker mark and the 70degree mark on the gauge. hmmmm............Got home and plugged vagcom in. Which was reading about 85 when the gauge was just below 70. I let it idle and the vagcom reading got to about 96 degrees, but the gauge said about 85.

Now, the gauge does go up and down, just not within the 90 degree range, as you would expect. The fans were coming on at the right time whilst it idled and was even sat at 90 whilst idling. It seems to be overcooling when driving.

Any ideas, thermostat, gauge misreading?

Right sorted. Was the thermoswitch.

Though my fans seem to come on everytime i turn ignition off. I'll have to do a little more observation, but from what ive seen today they come on each time the ignition is off, this is after longer runs... not necessarily spirited driving. The temp on the gauge is 90. They only come on for about 2 mins.

Got home and plugged vagcom in. Which was reading about 85 when the gauge was just below 70. I let it idle and the vagcom reading got to about 96 degrees, but the gauge said about 85.

Any ideas, thermostat, gauge misreading?

You've answered you're own question dude :D. 85 deg C, or there abouts is the correct cruise temperature for the VR6 with a healthy coolant system. You use VAG-COM to verify it, but I use a little custom made display unit to constantly monitor various engine sensors and mine also shows 84 deg C, when the dash says 70.

TBH none of the Corrado guages are any good. The speedo over reads, even with 17s, the temp guage is slow and inaccurate, the rpm counter is slow and inaccurate (by 100rpm) and the fuel gauge, well actually, I won't pick on the fuel gauge as he's been quite good on mine :D

90s cars eh?! You gotta love em! :lol:

:lol: i have the habit of answering my own questions.

Well i replaced the gauge sensor over the weekend and it seems to work now. But unlike yours my fuel gauge is rubbish, it couldnt be more inaccurate. Need to take a look at the sender in the tank when i get chance.

I like the display you have, where did you get that, where does it wire up to? Does it just splice into the existing loom for the sensors?

Ok, noticed that the fans come on EVERYTIME i turn engine off after a drive. Now i know they're supposed to come on sometimes but not everytime. Would this be a knackered switch in the radiator?