Sign in to follow this  
slope

corrado repair costs?

so im thinking of getting rid of my 96 audi a4 (aka the money pit), and cotemplating getting a corrado. can anyone give me some information about the repair costs, if i happened to pick up one of these beautys? are the corrado parts easy to come by for fixes, or are they expensive since they dont make them anymore? my usual repair bill goes for about 500-1000 for each item wrong in my audi, i hope the corrado would be less expensive? if anyone could tell me some info or point me to a good thread in the forums, it would be appreciated!!

keep your Audi!

worst reason ever for buying a Corrado

Ditto!

But the best reason NOT to buy one. Not that id ever try talk anyone out of buying one.

Corrado's......If only everything in life was as reliable! :lol:

Seriously though, bit like any older car, so long as all the major mechanical bits are looked after and replaced then I can't see why they are unreliable! They have there little quirks such as door handles, sunroofs, spoiler probs etc but so long as you buy one from an enthusiast and not a chavvy 'tard thats bought it, realised how expensive they can be and is quickly selling it on then it should be cool!

but don't be under any illusion it'll be cheaper to run than your A4!!

I have had my G60 since February 2008, and to date i have spent the princely sum of £45 on Essential stuf or breakages :grin:

I Replaced my rear spoiler mech as it got a jammed cable and faulty micro switch (all repaired now) but the 2nd hand one only cost £15 for an entire mechanism... posted :D and i just bought a cam tensioner and belt and had them fitted as the bearing started to squeel, but is was gonna be done for peace of mind next anyway

I dont include labour cost as an expense, any car costs labour charges! no matter what it is or how old or new

Sure i have spent money on wheels, a drop of paint, charger pipe work, air filter, a leather interior, replaced a few bits of missing or not to my standard trims, and service bits and bobs, but i class all that as love money or just basic running costs.

I have not found mine to cost me any more than any of the other volkwagens i ahve owned, and thats quite a few :grin:

I have just driven it for over 1000 miles on the continent and it was a superb car to take, comfortable and economical too

Dont get me wrong, i've said it before on here - I've spent years driving Corrados over thousands and thousands of miles and have never been let down - but that certainly doesn't mean that i'd class Corrados as a cheap car to run! Selling an Audi to buy a Corrado for reliability and reduced running costs is not a good idea.

Buying the right car and staying one step ahead of the repair costs can save you ALLOT of money, if you can get your hands on a nice low mileage or cherished example they can be very reliable, much the same as any car really.

If you're looking to rebuild it all beforehand like I am then you'll save in the long run but only until stuff starts wearing out again.

But then that is a relatovely large initial outset, as opposed to monthly/yearly repair bills.

it entirely depends on whether you are paying someone to do the work for you, or if you can do at least some of the work yourself, labour seems to be the most expensive bit whatever car you have.

Parts prices on whole aren't too bad and most mechanical stuff is shared with other models so should be readily available for some time, but some body and trim parts are now becomming obsolete so your only option is second hand or sourcing old stock and usually paying a premium for it.

If you are thinking of getting a corrado as a cheap alternative to running an audi forget it, i would expect the costs to be pretty close to the audi if not more due to its age, you have to remember that corrado's are getting on a bit now and even a low miler is going to need some things doing as things like bushes and hoses deteriorate with age not just useage.

Routine servicing is simple enough though and shouldnt cost any more than most cars, unless you use a garage who think they can charge a premium due to the rarity of the corrado.

i bought a 1995 VR6 2yrs ago, it had 130,000miles, had it two years now and covered 35,000miles and spent £4000 in repairs.

mainly suspension and drivetrain stuff have worn out, or things in the engine bay have started to perish

just a guide, but every car is different, mine had just been maintained when needed when i got it