Sign in to follow this  
GRINGOG60

Reiger Grille

Glad to see you took ya time, and read the thread properly, and looked at the links :roll: , it was 64 quid plus P&P.

You also get alot of stuff with it in the fixing kit (see attached pic), including 2 sizes of self tapping screws (5 of each), rivots, 2 tubes of glue (not windscreen bond), and another little bottle of glue which I have to get translated, and a bracket, and some clips, and instructions (in german), so I think I should be ok :roll:

Thera

dude, I got mine from awesome and paid 120 quid so thats why I said that (which has pissed me off now :cry: ), and I know exactly what you get with the kit (which I still have lying in the garage - unused), but what I'm saying is you dont need any of the stuff they gave you, just buy some windscreen bond and hold the spoiler in place with some tape til it sets. but if you want to do things the hard way with bits of aluminium bracketing and screwheads showing everywhere go ahead!!!!! :shock:

and the confidence bit was about you spraying the spoiler with an aerosol can from halfords which cost 15 quid+primer+time v's 30 quid for a professional spray including paint :scratch:

just tryin to help!!! :?

From what I've heard, the glueing idea is a bad one, several people have "lost" theirs whilst flying down various motorways.

Self tappers into the headlights seems to be the way to go, and thats the way I would have done it from day one. The tabs that you screw through are hidden under the bonnet, and so won't show the screw heads, unless you open the bonnet, and then there are plenty of other screw heads (and things) under there to keep anyone happy ;)

There seems to be a distict lack of spray shops in this area, most of the ones in the yellow pages being "commercial" only, so 30 quid seems a bit unlikely for me. But i'll have another look if it keeps you happy ;)

Looks like you may have made up for the expensive eyebrow with a cheap spray job :)

Cheers for your concern though, I'll do me best :p

Thera

glueing is a bad idea, thats why people use windscreen bond.

I havent heard of anyone losing theirs with that stuff. I still used the two screw in the lugs on the bottom of the grille, more to stop the slight 'flapping' than anything, but you'll need to put the screws in the top of the grille (into the headlights) very far back not too notice them, i done this on my mk2 and you can see them from any angle.

and be careful screwing into the headlights(leaks?)

the guy I got to do my painting does airbrushing as well and has tanks for motorbikes sent to him from the states he's that good. Was well chuffed with 30 all in!!

tho right pissed at the 120 for the grille, bstds :shock:

30 quid sounds a steal mate, but I'm unlikely to be able to get that around here :(

I think i'll screw mine, DAzzy did it, and I haven't seen any posts saying he lost it ;)

Thera

this might be an obvious question, just wanna ask before I go cutting things off etc.

On the top of the eyebrow, where you mount it to the slam panel etc, there are 5 tabs, only 3 on them locate into holes in the slam panel, the outer most two on each side, and the centre one, I take it I can cut the other 2 off?

I'm just in the process of painting it atm, prep'ed it, Primed it, sanded, and have just but the first coat of paint on, wait for that to dry, then sand, and re-apply, sand, re-apply, sand etc etc 8)

']['H3R4POR,

Just got mine today, all the instructions are in bloody German. Keep me posted on how you get on. I'll probably be asking your advice when you're finished,

Cheers,

Baz.

I've fitted mine, looks very good, and was very easy.

I used the longer black self tappers to fix it, you have to remove the two tabs I said, they are the larger ones, and you keep the outer ones and the centre ones, they slip through holes in the slam panel, and then are attached to the slam panel via the self tappers.

Heres what it looks like, the pics are very dark, cos its very dark outside, i'll update them when the sun comes out :)

huh, had to do that pic quick, and d/l it before leaving work, just looked at it now and its next to useless :oops:

I'll sort some better ones out tomorrow, and some pics of the mounting screws etc

Thera

it looks good, but I have noticed that the sides of the eyebrow will need fixing too, as they have moved after a few trips. I think i'll try the old velcro trick, and attach it to the top of the headlights.

I'll get some better pics tomorrow at work, its too cold today ;)

Thera

Adjusted the conrast of the pic for ya can see it a little better now :D For the G60 owners out there that have the early style slam panel the 2 tabs you cut off to fit the VR6's are the ones you need to keep to be able to fit it to the early slam panels just thought it's worth mentioning that.

Cheers

Ant

No probs mate I ve ordered mine as well :D as well as a rs bumper I keep seeing things I want to get for my car while I should be saving for the respray andthe pistons DOH oh well I think I'll just have to extend the loan once more LOL :D My bank manager must love me :D

Ant, I just sent you a PM, yes I did receive confirmation, I've included the address they came from in the PM, so send them a mail, Paul seems very friendly, so should be able to help.

Thera

looks nice, just the edges move forward, clear of the bonnet, so need securing, but i'm doing that at lunch time........now :o

Nice one, have you got anymore pics of your car? myns meant to be the same colour.. not at the mo though.... :(

I got a pic of the front, and pic of the corner, so you know what i'm talking about when I say "edge".

Its freezin outside, so any bluring will be me shaking ;)

your just take take take ;)

Just popping to lunch, then i'll take and post some :)

I haven't seen an eyebrow from the side before, it seems to stick out more than I might have thought, but see what you think.

['H3R4POR]your just take take take ;)

Just popping to lunch, then i'll take and post some :)

I haven't seen an eyebrow from the side before, it seems to stick out more than I might have thought, but see what you think.

:lol:

Cool mate, its bloody cold out there :roll:

I'll ask on this thread, as it seems the most relavent one, and I don't wanna start a new one just for this Q.

after fitting an eyebrow, with a 2 slat grill, has anyone noticed alot of difference in the temp of the engine (water)?

I have been having "head gasket" (VWs words) trouble, so didn't know whether this was to blame or not, but after fitting the grill the temp of the water seems to hardly get above 80C, and thats the max i've seen it at, this is at least 10C below my usual temp I was used to.

I know the cold weather will play a part, but we had some cold days before I switch grills and the temp never stayed that low.

I'm assuming its because, on the original grill, there were only very (relatively) small slats to allow air through, were as with the Reiger grill, the whole of the grill is open, allowing a larger amount of air onto the rad.

This makes perfect sense, I was just checking to see if anyone else had experienced this?

Cheers,

Thera

just to bring this thread back again...

I've just bought the same 2 slat reiger grill and looking at the photo of the bits that come with it..i too have the same.

I have used the larger self tappers on the slam panel going through each of the slats that poke through...

The smaller ones i presume are for the headlights, but it seems to ping off on one side so i think SILKAFLEX that came with it will do the job better.

What are the metal 'L' shaped brackets and 2x rivets for???

Did anyone trim the grill slightly so it sits further into the bonnet and doest stick out? :roll:

Please go ahead and PM me your suggestions thanks!

Sanjay.

Hm.. i've been looking for a place to find the Rieger grille & eyebrow... i've always liked the way it looks!

Gonna bookmark that tuning.co.uk it and consider a purchase one day I think!! Glad this thread got bumped ;)