yorkshireone

Which tools do I need for basic Corrado maintainence

I've decided Im going to invest some money in some tools so that I can do some of the work on my Corrado and keep my running costs down. I've got very limited experience with car mechanics (helped the mechanic do my service and change my ARB bushes) but I'd like to learn. Ive read Hilliers fundamentals of vehicle mechanics from cover to cover and Im gonna try and get my hands on a Bentley manual so its time to get my hands dirty :)

My question to you all is, considering I've just left uni and have absolutely no tools, what sort of stuff will I need for performing basic maintenance/repair? I dont want to spend an absolute fortune and I understand that tools are expensive. Are there any decent 'starter bundles' that you can recommend, or should I get my bits individually?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated guys and girls

Oh and ive got a VR6 incase that makes a difference (ie. plug removal tool)

Jamie :D

Edit - Incase your wondering what tools have been recommended but can't be arsed searching the whole thread, this is what we have so far :)

3/8'' stubby flexi ratchet spanner

Halfords Professional 150 piece Socket/Ratchet Set

1/2'' drive breaker bar

VR6 spark plug removal tool

molegrips

VAG COM Diagnostics Cable

torque wrench

Halfords Pro mate - the quality is so high that a lot of garages use these now!

Lifetime warranty too and they will swap anything that breaks straight away without question (altho I have yet to break anything in mine after 5 years)

The 150pce set is really the one to get as it has nearly everything you need - buy it when it's £99 tho (on offer reguarly)

Other things to consider - set of flexi-head ratchet spanners (Halfords again) and some Irwin Bolt Grippers (screwfix / machine mart)

Thats the one! Lovely, might have a walk upto halfords this afternoon then. Anyone know where you can get the VR6 plug removal tools? Im guessing the stealers sell them?

Pm a bloke called Zerocool on here he sells them.

Spline sockets for driveshaft bolts (might not need them yet), I'd look at getting allen key sockets if they aren't in the 250 piece set, water hose clip removal tool (kinda ratchet thing) The VR needs a big socket for the oil filter, can't remember how big though...

Pliers and water pump pliers are handy. A punch, a hammer (no need for a massive one). A breaker bar...

There's loads of other useful stuff you'll pick up along the way no doubt.

You need as follows

10mm spanner

13mm spanner

Phillips and flat screwdriver

Hammer

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You forgot about the swear box..... the amount of swearing you do while working pays for your parts :norty:

You forgot about the swear box..... the amount of swearing you do while working pays for your parts :norty:

Lol, I can imagine. Didn't get to go to Halfords today so going to go down tomorrow. Im all excited about getting tooled up :) Just got myself some sealey 2 ton ramps too

the halfords pro set as mentioned above is deffo worth getting, doesn't come with a torque wrench tho, but the rachets are nice.

a breaker bar is also worth having with the black sockets, i got a 2ft snap on one from ebay for £50

The ratchets are good but i have broken my 3/8" but through stupidty trying to undo wheel bolts, they do a epair kit but i would not bother with them as they are crap just buy another ratchet if you do something stupid like breaking 1.

Cheers for the info guys, what sort of rating do I need on the torque wrench, is 40-200Nm ok?

One more slightly off topic question, can someone explain to me the difference between OBD1 and OBD2? Which will my C be if its a N plate VR?

thanks again

The ratchets are good but i have broken my 3/8" but through stupidty trying to undo wheel bolts, they do a epair kit but i would not bother with them as they are crap just buy another ratchet if you do something stupid like breaking 1.

I thought you got a lifetime gaurantee on pro tools?

You do except the actual ratchet mechanism.

If you bend a spanner been stupid with it or round off a socket then they will replace it, tbh the repair kits are £3-6 and a new ratchet is £10-20ish

the halfords pro set as mentioned above is deffo worth getting, doesn't come with a torque wrench tho, but the rachets are nice.

a breaker bar is also worth having with the black sockets, i got a 2ft snap on one from ebay for £50

Cheers, do I need a 3/4'', 1/2'' of 1'' square drive on the breaker bar?

You do except the actual ratchet mechanism.

If you bend a spanner been stupid with it or round off a socket then they will replace it, tbh the repair kits are £3-6 and a new ratchet is £10-20ish

Cool, will definately try and pick up a 150pc set tomorrow, just hope its on £99 offer and not bloody £199! :?

Buy the 3/8 stubby flexi ratchet. Really good little tool.

All corrados were built with OBD1 management, some have been converted. the connectors vary between early and late cars, earlies have a 2x2 connector, which is a pair of rubbish spadesque connectors, late cars use OBD2 style connectors with a big oblong plug.

OBD 2 management is more complex, has more controls and better diagnostics.

1/2 inch breaker bar too...

Buy the 3/8 stubby flexi ratchet. Really good little tool.

All corrados were built with OBD1 management, some have been converted. the connectors vary between early and late cars, earlies have a 2x2 connector, which is a pair of rubbish spadesque connectors, late cars use OBD2 style connectors with a big oblong plug.

OBD 2 management is more complex, has more controls and better diagnostics.

1/2 inch breaker bar too...

Ah I see, I knew I'd seen OBD2 mentioned in relation to Corrado, must have been to do with the diagnostics plug. Cheers Toad

No worries, if you're looking for A VAG COM cable on Ebay, you might well see it advertised as OBD2, but it will work.

I bought the top doller pro kit 200+ piece and a set of screwdrivers - they had an offer on it was 99 pounds instead of 200 although i think they have put the prices up now.. Im really chuffed with it - its got everything you will probably need.

Always buy your tools once, and take good care of them and make sure that you keep them nice and tidy. In the long run you wont be scratching around looking for the odd socket you desperatly need.

Don't forget a trolley jack and axle stands. Even the cheapest kit from Machine Mart will do you fine :)