Sign in to follow this  
zak

VR6 running issue with video - fixed :shock:

unlucky my friend - i was thinking that mine could be the FPR the other day, as i recon it must be fuel related....

really hope you manage to get it all sorted my friend - best of luck :)

Pete im going to scan it later today so will report back if there is anything

And Cheers Pete :) its driving me up the wall, i just want to get to the bottom of it. Maybe i should have taken your approach and let it be, switching to 24v! As the amount of time i have spent on it i could have :lol:

anyway im going to pop in to the garage and change the fpr and see if it makes any difference.

Zak, thats bad news, not really what you need after all your efforts and not to forget all the money!. I've recently changed my old sparks, which are still quite okay which you can use if that helps. Is there any way that the lambda cn be 'blocked' or fooled into thinking it has a correct reading, and trhen disconnecting it? Did the smoke come immediately or after a few minutes of driving? It may be a bit noisy but perhaps you can disconnect various sections of the exhaust and see how it runs?

Thanks for the offer Hassan i have some spark plugs already so its not an issue I just changed the fpr and i get the same problem. It only starts after about 10minutes of driving which is really strange! As for the lambda i changed it for a enw vag one earlier this year so i cant imagine it could be faulty but it did look black when i had it out to swap the cat yesterday. Im pretty lost on what it could be now thinking it might be worth me taking it down to stealth! Anyone know if they are open on Sundays?

anyhow im going to scan it for error codes later today.

i tried a maf that i bought of here recently and there was no difference, i might just swap in the fuel rail that i got with the replacement engine i bought and see if it makes a difference

i just scanned it and there are no fault codes showing except the crank sensor when the engine is not running.

anyone knowledgeable in west london want to have a look at it for me?

The smoke is as the videos i put up before but there is less of it now. The colour is a whitey blue but its hard to describe so i will take a video and put it up later. I know the blue would point to oil burning but it would seem strange that the smoke appears under tha same conditions as the previous engine. One thing is when you give the engine throttle the smoke turns more black. The car seems to run fine even when its smoking, the idle is stable and it pulls smoothly. One thing i still have to do is run a compression test on the new engine which i will do today or tommorow.

As for the temp sender i replaced it with a new vag one earlier this year and i checked the reading in basic settings when i had vag com connected and the temp readings were going up as the engine warmed up, So its definately working.

Well just as an example, when i fitted a 2.9 into my Corrado (it originally came with a 2.8!), the valve stem oil seals were shot to pieces,

I refurbed the 2.8 head - exactly the same as you had happened to it - two bent valves etc,all new stem oil seals, all valves relapped in etc.

Swapped the head over this weekend and when i started the car, no smoke at all, after about 5 mins when i blipped it there was bluey blackish smoke, on tickover it was hazing faint blue.

I knew it would clear eventually as it was obviously oil etc burning off from where i decoked all the pistons etc and it did.

Took it for a drive for 20-30 minutes and it was good as gold.

If yours is gradually clearing id continue to drive it for a while and see if it improves...

thats interesting but i fitted the new engine complete without splitting it, i was planning to refit my original head at a later date. I did it this way round to eliminate there being a problem with my original engine.

The whole situation is quite frustrating as im methodical and usually good at problem solving but this has got the better of me.

But your old engine was blowing all sorts of sh1t out of the exhaust wasnt it?

All that carbon and oil could still be sitting in the exhaust.

You yourself metioned the new lambda you fitted was filthy with carbon etc,it wouldnt surprise me if the thing is just burning off all the crap and oil that accumulated in your exhaust over the last couple of months of poor running.

If it feels like its runnng and pulling ok and has no faults on VAGCOM go and take it for a hard drive for an hour and see what its like when you return.

Pete you may well be right as i took it for a 20 min spin on the motorway and it wasnt smoking! Unfotunately my serpentine belt started to break so i cut short my journey and came home. i think the pulley on the golf alternator i fitted may be slightly out of alignement with the tensioner, crank and pas pulleys as i had just replaced the belt with a new one the other day as the original broke last week. Im going to look in to that at the weekend and take the car for a longer run and see how it goes.

Well im confident to say that the problem is now solved 8)

Late friday night i took the car for a 20min drive on the motorway then came back via A and b roads and it wasnt smoking in the slightest. This gave me the confidence to use it yesterday so i was driving around london for most of the day and there was no smoke whatsoever! The engine idled well and pulled smoothly so i confident to start using the car again. The only issue at the moment seems to be that the exhaust fumes still smell heavily of fuel and fuel consumption is very bad. Im sure this must be down to my injectors as still using the fuel rail and injectors from my original engine which had covered 182K So today i will pull my fuel rail out and run the output tests on the injectors and swap the ones i got with my new engine. Te lambda and temp sensor had been changed so im sure they wont be causing an issue.

The only issue at the moment seems to be that the exhaust fumes still smell heavily of fuel and fuel consumption is very bad. Im sure this must be down to my injectors as still using the fuel rail and injectors from my original engine which had covered 182K

Hi

Glad for you. I would chage the injectors and the FPR regardless, dont want petrol in the engine oil.

I forgot to say thanks to everyone for their advice on my thread i'm happy i can finally drive the car. Ive just been out for a nice satisfying drive 8)

The car has literally spent the whole summer with its bonnet up :lol:

IMG_6650640.jpg

Oh btw, that pic does not do the finish of the car justice - those who have seen it in the flesh will know what i mean. Credit to you Zak and li'l bro with the polisher!

thanks Hassan, i was just talking to my brother yesterday about how the car must only have been washed all of 5 times this year! The paint usually looks like this

IMG_6472640.jpg

Right thats it, i'm putting my all reds on the back now, dont like the Inpros any more! Inspirational pic there.