Sign in to follow this  
zak

VR6 running issue with video - fixed :shock:

Sorry to hear that Zak. Give me a shout if you need an extra pair of hands when you pull it apart. Thought of 24V conversion, as your car is pretty sorted elsewhere?

Bad luck.

I will have an engine for sale soon. Its blowing oil on the overun although it doesnt seem to be using much. Not sure if its rings or oval bores. The head has been fully rebuilt and the chain etc were all done not that long ago. Let me know if your interested.

i only put the wanted advert up to keep my options open, i'm going to strip the engine down tommorow and assess the situation and decide from there what to do.

If i wasnt so busy with work i wouldnt hesitate to go 24v but its not really an option for me as i need to get the car back on the road asap as i need to drive it.

The tapping noise could also have been an issue with your starter - might be worth pulling it out to see if there is an issue with the engagement, chains might still be ok. Did you fill and bleed the hydraulic tensioner (the big one at the top behind the head) correctly?

when i crank the starter it is definately engaging and turning the engine over,

No i didnt fill and bleed the upper tensioner, i didn't read anywhere that was necessary, how would i have done that? When i first had the car running the chains were silent after the oil pressure had built up so i don't know why it would suddenly fail.

Its not that critical tbh, to bleed the tensioner, if you ahvent messed with it it should have been fine.

I guess its a question of stripping it down again to see what has caused this. I seem to have lost your numbers can you text them to me again zak?

Actually, just a thought, if you do go down teh 24V route, i can give you a hand you can use teh passat and hopefully we can have it sorted in a month or so. Would that work?

mate that's unbelievably crap luck - really sorry for you buddy. oh the joys of corrado ownership eh?! :brickwall:

24v is definitely the way forward mate - it's a complete pain in the arse being car-loss, but i have managed for several months when i thought i could never ever do without. you will really miss it, but it' definitely worth doing the swap if you can - once it's done (in theory!) you won't have to worry about it again. it's like going modern without having to get a fat, sloppy modern shell!

Zak ive got a 2.8 you can have for 150 quid.

My car had a 2.8 in it when i bought it and to be honest it doesnt feel any different to the ABV lump ive got now.

In fact it was a better engine in reality as it didnt smoke on the overun!, it is in an Autobox'd Golf so i really dont think its had a hard time.

110k miles...

I would guess the intermediate pulley bolt has worked loose, both sets of chains route round this pulley and if you do not torque this bolt upto 75lb/ft it will work loose.

Dont ask me how i know,sometimes working with a mate who owe's you a few favours is not a good idea as you dont always know if they have done things up tight :shock: :shock:

tandino thats exactly what happened, that particular day a mate came to help me out and i guess it wasn't torqued correctly.

heres the damage

IMG_7207.jpg

IMG_7222.jpg

6 bent valves and a few marks to the pistons, the bottom end seems fine, turned it over a few times and the pistons all come up to the same level. I'm thinking of replacing the damaged valves and putting the head back, but this wont solve this smoking issue so not sure if this is the way forward. How expensive are valves? Hassans already offered to let me use the spare ones from his spare head, is there any issues with this?

I hear you guys on the 24v route but i have a business that eats in to a lot of my time and i will be starting evening classes in september so really do not have much spare time to take on a conversion that might drag on.

:( Balls.

Was your head pressure tested? I wonder if there's a crack allowing coolant into a cylinder?

no it wasn't pressure tested, if i knew there was such a test i would have asked for it when the machine shop had the head, how much does it roughly cost?

Dunno on price, not a lot of money I wouldn't imagine, but I'd get them to do it before getting your new valves lapped in.

Really bad luck mate - good luck getting something sorted out with the minimum amount of abuse to your wallet!

so it was the intermediate shaft bolt? What a bummer. I didnt remove that on mine, instead i took the cams out to fit the chains. Let me know when you want the valves, i dont have the valve compressor though. I'll check tonight which valves are ok and let you know.

i'm still not sure what to do, only thing that is playing at the back of my mind is the smoke issue. It will still be there even once i have it back up and running.

Could have been the head itsself,or the new headgasket not sealing,dont think you will find much wrong with the bottom end to cause that mate.

have a complete head for sale mate,PM me if yur interested.

cheers for the offer i saw your thread already, ive sourced a 90k abv engine and will be swapping my new tensioners etc across and putting that in at the weekend. If i'm still getting all the smoke then i will know for sure its something other than the head and block. Atleast i will have the car back on the road soon.

Hey Zak,

I do not know if this will help, but here is my story so far.

I own a 93 corrado 1st gen (with distributor). 2 years ago the car suddently start smoking like hell. I needed a reliable car for work, so I bought something else but I kept the corrado to fix it myself later. Few months later I decided to start working on it with a new friend who was a mecanic at hyundai. The car was not starting anymore ... it was jammed. We thought it was something internal and I was pretty sure the smoking problem was the head gasket. So we striped down the head to replace the gasket, put everything back in place and try to start and it was still jammed ... it was the alternator that had to much rust in it. We replace the alternator and the car started no problem but after couple of minutes was smelling gaz and smoking again ... pretty much like your video. Winter began, so we stop there, believing the problem was the rings.

At the beginning of this summer,I bought a new engine (got a pretty good deal) and we replaced it. Once done we started the car and we thought everything was good but the car started smoking after 5-10 minutes ... when the engine was starting to warm up a little. We left it running for 5 minutes to "burn" anything left in the exhaust. I could not leave it running any longer since it was smoking my neighbors .. It did not solve the issue. Than I surf the web, found this page and hoped you would find the issue for me :D

Following other articles I read and some advice from my friend I bought use parts and changed my ECU, MAF, Fuel rails with all the injectors ... I noticied my TPS (aka Throttle Valve Potentiometer) was damaged, but I did not have any replacement. So I left it that way. I started the car, but nothing changed ... Car was still smelling gaz and smoking after few minutes and it was now running roughtly. I changed my ignition cables and after that realized I did not know the firing order since the last time my friend did it ... so I looked in my manual... found the 1-5-3-6-2-4 but I did not know which cylinder was the first ... I end up pluging everything like a diagram from "Volkwagen Corrado - Official Factory Repair Manual". I started the engine and it was running much better ... I left it running few minutes and it started smoking again ... but a lot less. It was close to midnight ... I took the car on the road and drove a mile or two .. it started to smoke like crazy. I turned around, drove in the garage, stopped the engine, closed the door and went to sleep. 2 days later, I talked to my friend ... told him the engine was running better with less smoke and that I drove it for couple of miles but it smoked like before. He told me to leave it running for an hour just to see if it was not some oil stucked in the catalytic converter that was burning when the engine was warming up. I parked my car in my driveway, started it and left it there for 5, 10, 20, 45 minutes ... still no smoke ... let it warm up until it reaches 120 degrees ... still no smoke. Press the gaz pedal to the floor ... no smoke. I took the car to a road test but it is hesitating a lot ... but it is not smoking. My next step is to change the fuel filter since it has not been changed for the past 5 years and replace the fuel in the tank since it is 2 years old. I also have a idle problem which is probably caused by my bad TPS.

All that story to say that there is a good chance that after you changed the head gasket, your smoking problem was probably caused by oil in the exhaust ... If I find anything else, I'll let you know.

Good luck !

thanks for the in depth reply it does seem you had a very similar problem to mine. I guess i will find out when i get the new engine up and running but it certainly gives me something to consider if the problem is still there, is your car running fine now?

Just to update this, i fitted the replacement engine i sourced after i changed the tensioners and chains. The engine was supplied complete head and block without the ancillaries so i have used my old sensors and ancillaries. I got it running earlier this week and its still smoking as before but maybe not as bad and the smoke looks a little more black. Today i changed the cat and it made no difference.

Really stuck on what could be the issue only thing left to change is the fpr and the spark plugs which i will do in the morning. Anyone have any ideas, i'm usually good with fault finding but this has got me stumped. Could it be a split downppe drawing in air and causiing the lamda to mis read and the engine to overfuel?

On a side note the engine seems to run quite smoothly :)