Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

The Difference 15mph Makes

Just returned off a British holiday recently.

Went to the Peak District (I'm in West Yorks) and then down to Clacton-On-Sea (Essex) to see my mum and dad.

Did about 850 miles in total.

Keighley to Peak District (Buxton) to Essex to Keighley. There was quite a lot of Peak District journeys done over the 5 days we were there, unfortunately only some spirited as they're mega paranoid with Scameras and 50mph limits everywhere!

Anywho on the way back from Essex to Keighley, going up the A1, I stuck at 60mph-65mph (exc passing lorries to get out of. the way)

According to the Trip I got 33.2MPG! (VR6) - Never got it above 30 before on long journeys. Normally I'd be doing at least 70-75mph. I know they'll be people thinking 'why get the car to drive it like that' but when you're on a M-Way or a road like the A1 where speeding isn't really possible and fun driving doesn't exist then why not!

Over the whole 850miles got an average of 30.3MPG too!

This was confirmed as well as I worked it out using my petrol reciepts!

Good news! A lot of people have found the VR quite economical on a pootle. I'd rather have the low down torque than screaming revs to be fair.

the VR can be surprisingly economical if you're not booting it everywhere.

Mr Supercharged and I went to the national day in my car, left cambridge with a full tank, did the 270 mile round trip at 75mpg pretty much all the way without stopping, filled up back near cambridge and had averaged 35.6mpg! :shock:

Don't have quite as light a right foot most of the time though..... :norty: :grin:

Regularly travel to Watford in the VR. About 120 miles from here, c80% motorway doing 75 to 80 with occasional short blasts over 90. Rest A and B roads and a tiny bit of built up stop and start areas at the beginning and end. Usually get c32 MPG (avg trip speed c 60 mph) . Can go as high as 34 but only if M4/M25 is in 50 to 60 mph and steady mode. Once got 38 on that trip but I'm convinced it was the tail wind that did it as it was blowing a real gale in the direction of travel :eek:

That's even more impressive considering a US gallon is just over 8/10ths of an imperial gallon!

and the yank fuel is about 2p a ton! as they dont tax their fuel to death like this tax pissed country

and the yank fuel is about 2p a ton! as they dont tax their fuel to death like this tax pissed country

Yeah, but he fuel (octane) isn't anywhere near as good.....

MYTH! ;)

I get 28mpgish round town and anywhere between 32 and 38mpg on longer runs. The valver seems to be a lot better than it has been at the moment.

I promise, hand on heart that this is a genuine readout and not a "quick.. reset it whilst you're going downhill!"

This was on a journey from North London to Northampton and back when I had a dodgy leaking coolant hose.

Did about 55-60 all the way there and back and managed this.....

40mpggi7.jpg

Strangely.. even, irnoically, I was making the journey to collect a supercharger! Not otherwise usually associated with good MPG ;)

Strangely.. even, irnoically, I was making the journey to collect a supercharger! Not otherwise usually associated with good MPG ;)

Since fitting mine I've been getting 40mpg+. I think my maf is lying. :wink:

MYTH! ;)[/quote:2bn3nxs6]

A myth indeed. The US and UK just use a different measurement/rating system. It's like saying 160kph is faster than 100mph because it's a bigger number.

The G60s are the most economical rados, usually get figures of around 40 MPG on my run into work and its only a 7 mile trip so the engine is just about warmed up when I ge there.

Was going over to Supercharged when I was down south on a course over the weekends and was hitting 45mpg without trying too hard, this was confirmed when I refilled the tank as it worked out as about 10 miles to a of fuel used, or 45 MPG.

I really do think the G60 would be an excellent motorway cruiser if it had a 6th cog on the standard box.

I think you will find the TDI is the most economic Corrado :wink:

(even with the raise in derv prices)

Mine is now running a 150BHP map and returning 60 MPG (slightly more than before)

Yours is running well tho Yan, you know a VR or G60 is running spot-on if it's returning over 35mpg!