Sign in to follow this  
VR6 South

Zimmerman Brake Discs (TPS!!)

I have just notice that after less than a 100 miles of very light use my front dilled zimmerman discs (288,s) have hairline cracks which originate from some of the outer holes. Is this normal or potentially dangerous?

that is normal with the Zimmerman discs as they are shite. take them back to GSF?? complain, get your money back and get some of the Brembo discs they sell as they are very good discs.

that is normal with the Zimmerman discs as they are ****. take them back to GSF?? complain, get your money back and get some of the Brembo discs they sell as they are very good discs.

Thanks Karl. My last set of zimmermans lasted for 5 years they must have gone down hill quality wise since then :(

I've just replaced the Zimmermans with some EBC sports discs which were nearly double the price even after a heavy discout from ECP :eek: . Lets hope they are better..... Just got to get a refund from GSF now.

Been done this route of uprated discs to improve breaking and it just doesnt work.

Back to basics and all is good in the world. Standard 280mm discs, Goodridge hoses and EBC Red stuff pads.

Whatever you do DO NOT TOUCH EBC Green Stuff pads

Matt

Whatever you do DO NOT TOUCH EBC Green Stuff pads

Matt

Too late. What's wrong with them? I have used them in the past and had no problems.

i think green stuff are ok now, i've read lots about them and from what i gather some older batches had the fiction materail peel away from the backing plate

Yeah, I don't think there's anything really that wrong with the current Greenstuff's. They're not all that exciting, but nothing like as bad as they used to be.

Yeah, I don't think there's anything really that wrong with the current Greenstuff's. They're not all that exciting, but nothing like as bad as they used to be.

Not as bad but they are too soft, don't bite well and fade easily...

I went from Mintex extreme which altho braked well, were very dusty and squeeked to Greenstuff which were awful in comparison in terms of braking - I tried both of these and was still not getting the performance that I used to out of the Pagid FR pads so I then changed the the Ferodo DS2500's and wouldn't use anything else now!

Not as bad but they are too soft, don't bite well and fade easily...

I went from Mintex extreme which altho braked well, were very dusty and squeeked to Greenstuff which were awful in comparison in terms of braking - I tried both of these and was still not getting the performance that I used to out of the Pagid FR pads so I then changed the the Ferodo DS2500's and wouldn't use anything else now!

So what's the difference between the Mintex C-Tech (M1144s) and the Xtreme pads? I've just put some C-Techs on the back of mine and they bite like crazy!

Id go for grooved discs over cross drilled...

Says he who bought some cross drilled zimmermans :lol: But cheaply and for a valver that won't get a lot of abuse!

Neil.

i think green stuff are ok now, i've read lots about them and from what i gather some older batches had the fiction materail peel away from the backing plate

Well don't know if it is the same thing but mine literaly disintegrated. They dont seem to be able to cope with grooved discs at all. They eat them up and your wheels get filthy. Which aint great for a supposed low dust pad! Plus the braking was dismal.

Really didnt want to touch EBC again but my mechanic convinced me the Red stuff pads were great and begrudgingly I have to agree :D Great braking with std discs, not much dust and work well from cold.

I am willing to accept that the Greenstuff have maybe been improved from 3 years ago though. Let us know how you get on. Especially with your grooved EBC discs :wink:

I have kinda come from Evo land and nobody there would use anything else other than DS2500 or Mintex Extreme. Maybe a bit overkill for the lighter less powerful Corrado and you do have to heat them up a little more. But then again you want the best braking no matter what car it is! Defo worth a look.

Think the Red stuff pad is a great compromise for the C though :salute:

I dunno whats wrong with just using genuine VW stuff :shrug: you can change your whole front brake system for about £80

I dunno whats wrong with just using genuine VW stuff :shrug: you can change your whole front brake system for about £80

Thats what Im saying although having a harder compound pad helps braking no end.

Well don't know if it is the same thing but mine literaly disintegrated. They dont seem to be able to cope with grooved discs at all. They eat them up and your wheels get filthy. Which aint great for a supposed low dust pad! Plus the braking was dismal.

Really didnt want to touch EBC again but my mechanic convinced me the Red stuff pads were great and begrudgingly I have to agree :D Great braking with std discs, not much dust and work well from cold.

I am willing to accept that the Greenstuff have maybe been improved from 3 years ago though. Let us know how you get on. Especially with your grooved EBC discs :wink:

I've got greenstuff pads and the EBC discs fitted now. The initial impression is good although I'm still waiting for the pads to bed in.

yep! i get genuine front VW G60 discs for £22.46 each and pads for £23.60 from VW TPS outlet

rear discs are £13.07 each for the G60 and for a VR6..........perversely they are £12.25 each!! rear pads are £14.16 or £18.03 for 93-95 cars

water pump £22.79, oil filter £4.68 (correct one for G60 with the nut on the base)

the list goes on!!!

No need to buy "cheap" alternatives with these sort of prices, and they fit and do the job as they are supposed too :grin:

yep! i get genuine front VW G60 discs for £22.46 each and pads for £23.60 from VW TPS outlet

rear discs are £13.07 each for the G60 and for a VR6..........perversely they are £12.25 each!! rear pads are £14.16 or £18.03 for 93-95 cars

water pump £22.79, oil filter £4.68 (correct one for G60 with the nut on the base)

the list goes on!!!

No need to buy "cheap" alternatives with these sort of prices, and they fit and do the job as they are supposed too :grin:

What's the deal for getting parts from TPS? I thought they were trade only.

:D yeah, but they dont say what trade ya have to be :lol: im sure if you go into the premises and ask whats the worst they can say? dunno what their stance is on it? they work on turnover for profit so i doubt they will be too picky, everything i get is C.O.D although they have delivered to my door C.O.D before on bigger stuff or parts that were back order for a while

I got my "account" as i always used the trade centre (prior to it becoming a TPS) to get my parts for ages, i also used to work in the parts dept at the same dealers a few years back too which kinda helped i suppose :grin:

Its really handy as the one i use is a 10 minute drive from me and i order most stuff over the phone and pick it up a few days later

saves me a nice few quid, means i can keep my car original, when you can get a genuine clutch for £100 and all the other genuine service bits cheaper its a bit of a bonus

Hey what am i typing this for.........i should be taking orders :lol:

What's the deal for getting parts from TPS? I thought they were trade only.

you just have to try a few of them (no there arent that many so may mean a bit of a trip but how often will you be going?). I rang 3 asking for an account under the guise of the corrado club of gb (as dinkus did). 1 turned me down, 1 referred me on to a closer branch (croydon) and they were the ones that finally said yes.

i guess we shouldn't try to get more than one account per branch using that method as it will probably seem a bit obvious.. but I'm sure that those who have got something set up are happy to get stuff for anyone else?

cheers

John

I would gladly get stuff for people in the Kent/London area if they were prepared to pick the stuff up, I dont fancy being a "Quarter master" though :lol: suppose i could get stuff to take to shows/events for people if they gave me fair warning to get it, only trouble with that is people have a habbit of letting you down or not paying up :wink: posting stuff like discs etc wouldnt be practical either

But the savings are quite high, i get an average of 18% off most things, some quite a bit more, just depends

Things like genuine G60 W6DPO platinum spark plugs are waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than at a normal dealers

some things like service parts, belts, plugs, filters etc would be easy to get and send on i suppose and more expensive stuff like calipers and such like the savings are around £40 difference :shock:

Yep - as above VAG discs last absolutly ages and are properly balanced, well worth the extra couple of quid over the Brembo's etc that GSF sell

Thanks for the headsup. I've located my local branch. It's directly behind the local VW dealer!

I have a next door neighbour who is a mechanic and has a Golf 1.8T. I'll be going round there tonight to see if he's got an account.

Andy