Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Mates R32 Storm - MAPPED.. by friend&Myself!

It's often the Throttle body that clashes with the bonnet (on VW 3.2's not Audi), will you be keeping the inlet manifold and TB etc the same or custom making it? KAD's totally right you've done the easy bit, now come on and show us all how quick you can do the hard bit :D :D

looking good there buddy :)

i take it you are retaining the standard oil cooler if you are modifying the front engine mount... - why not just go mocal?

also are you going to mount the FPR on the strut there - looks like that's what you've got planned, i guess it's the logical place.

what are you doing about the aux air pump - see you've removed it for the time being, are you planning on keeping it, or just deleting it?

glad to hear everything is coming along so well for you anyway - keep it up.

how long do you recon now before we hear it running?! :)

hey there again my friend - don't want to be a pain, i was just wondering if you could enlighten me on a couple of things.

i've been looking for an aeromotive FPR - what model have you got in the end, and if you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for it?

i was checking this out on fleabay (item no 230277269701), it's for an evo, but it looks to come with everything i would need... also all the aeromotive fpr's i've looked at seem to be for Forced Induction applications - i'm sure they will do NA as well if you get the right one won't they?...

i have taken plenty of engines to bits etc, but transplanting an engine into a car it's not meant to go in is new territory for me and i obviously want to make sure i do it right :)

thanks very much,

Pete

well i have a milltek de-cat pipe, and the dubpower 6 branch mated up perfectly. Also i have vf mounts all round just like when i had with the vr6 fitted with the raceland 6 branch, and i never had any flexi fitted.

I'm happy with that.. can always weld a flexi in the end of the downpipe! But I'm hoping to fit a solid front engine mount to stop the engine moving too much!

I'd weld one in anyhow - won't do any harm.

good work Ben, its surprising how easy it is to get an R32 lump into a corrado :) but the hard bit is the wiring (as i've found out) are you going to fit an uprated front mount??

Ohh don't get me wrong mate your quite right.. I didn't get much time yesterday but I fabricated a front engine mount out of the old one to clear the late spec oil cooler! Works a treat!

Wiring will be done tomorrow hopefully.

It's often the Throttle body that clashes with the bonnet (on VW 3.2's not Audi), will you be keeping the inlet manifold and TB etc the same or custom making it? KAD's totally right you've done the easy bit, now come on and show us all how quick you can do the hard bit :D :D

I'm not using the R32 throttle body as it stands so I was going to make up an spacer to tilt it down slightly, but your quite right it does get close! The hard bit will be done soon ;-)

looking good there buddy :)

i take it you are retaining the standard oil cooler if you are modifying the front engine mount... - why not just go mocal?

also are you going to mount the FPR on the strut there - looks like that's what you've got planned, i guess it's the logical place.

what are you doing about the aux air pump - see you've removed it for the time being, are you planning on keeping it, or just deleting it?

glad to hear everything is coming along so well for you anyway - keep it up.

how long do you recon now before we hear it running?! :)

1) I did mod the front engine mount bracket, yes.. cheaper than going mocal on this occasion!

2) The FPR will prob be mounted to the side of the engine but I haven't got that far yet. But it could go on the strut somewhere as there are mounting bolts there.

3) Air aux pump will prob be binned. No point running it really. Front experience it tends to be the case that the simpler these engine conversion are the better the results. (but not always).. I really don't know yet chap, it depends the exacat purpose of the air pump, which as it stands I don't know as I haven't looked into it. I know it seems strange but this R32 engine thing is new to me also... if you wanted to know about 1.8T's then thats a different story! hehe

Thanks mate.. will kepp you updated. Want the engine running before I go on hols in 5 weeks. In fact I want the car drivable before then. Aircon might take me a little longer to sort.

hey there again my friend - don't want to be a pain, i was just wondering if you could enlighten me on a couple of things.

i've been looking for an aeromotive FPR - what model have you got in the end, and if you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for it?

i was checking this out on fleabay (item no 230277269701), it's for an evo, but it looks to come with everything i would need... also all the aeromotive fpr's i've looked at seem to be for Forced Induction applications - i'm sure they will do NA as well if you get the right one won't they?...

i have taken plenty of engines to bits etc, but transplanting an engine into a car it's not meant to go in is new territory for me and i obviously want to make sure i do it right :)

thanks very much,

Pete

No worries Pete, happy to help where I can.

That looks like the one I have but I paid a bit less I think. We got ours direct from the states with -8 fittings. (will need to make a converter to fit standard fuel lines for now). Mine is model number 13101 or 13109.. see link

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/products.php?prod=10

I asked the question about whether they'll do NA, and they will apparently. I mean we bought this one to handle a 600bhp R32 Turbo engine but seeing as we are going to NA to begin with I need it to do both.

Re-transplanting engines.. if your putting your R32 engine into a VR6 corrado then its the easiest conversion ever! Coupehaus will be doing a 'how to guide' for converting to the 1.8T, 24v V6, V8 into VW's when the new site is built (before Chrimbo).

If you need any other advice just shout!

Ben

well i have a milltek de-cat pipe, and the dubpower 6 branch mated up perfectly. Also i have vf mounts all round just like when i had with the vr6 fitted with the raceland 6 branch, and i never had any flexi fitted.

I'm happy with that.. can always weld a flexi in the end of the downpipe! But I'm hoping to fit a solid front engine mount to stop the engine moving too much!

I'd weld one in anyhow - won't do any harm.

Think I will John.. makes sense.

1) I did mod the front engine mount bracket, yes.. cheaper than going mocal on this occasion!

2) The FPR will prob be mounted to the side of the engine but I haven't got that far yet. But it could go on the strut somewhere as there are mounting bolts there.

3) Air aux pump will prob be binned. No point running it really. Front experience it tends to be the case that the simpler these engine conversion are the better the results. (but not always).. I really don't know yet chap, it depends the exacat purpose of the air pump, which as it stands I don't know as I haven't looked into it. I know it seems strange but this R32 engine thing is new to me also... if you wanted to know about 1.8T's then thats a different story! hehe

Thanks mate.. will kepp you updated. Want the engine running before I go on hols in 5 weeks. In fact I want the car drivable before then. Aircon might take me a little longer to sort.

------

No worries Pete, happy to help where I can.

That looks like the one I have but I paid a bit less I think. We got ours direct from the states with -8 fittings. (will need to make a converter to fit standard fuel lines for now). Mine is model number 13101 or 13109.. see link

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/products.php?prod=10

I asked the question about whether they'll do NA, and they will apparently. I mean we bought this one to handle a 600bhp R32 Turbo engine but seeing as we are going to NA to begin with I need it to do both.

Re-transplanting engines.. if your putting your R32 engine into a VR6 corrado then its the easiest conversion ever! Coupehaus will be doing a 'how to guide' for converting to the 1.8T, 24v V6, V8 into VW's when the new site is built (before Chrimbo).

If you need any other advice just shout!

Ben

thanks very much for that buddy - well appreciated :thumb right:

really can't wait to see this in setup and running :)

so are you going to buy it after you have done the conversion? - you know you want to come back to corrado ownership don't you! :tongue:

thanks very much for that buddy - well appreciated :thumb right:

really can't wait to see this in setup and running :)

so are you going to buy it after you have done the conversion? - you know you want to come back to corrado ownership don't you! :tongue:

No worries. Prob not as I'm looking at building something else for me.. just need to get the Exige sold!

Ben

UPDATE TIME!

Right, only had a little over a day this weekend to work on the corrado but I thought I got quite a bit done!

Got the front engine mount bracket finished, painted and fitted. The standard oil cooler fits with no problems. Managed to sort 99% of the water piping, used a mix of the R32/12v hoses to achieve this, but unfortunatly the standard fans on the rad don't fit but fear not I'll just whack a couple of cheap aftermarket fans on there so no biggy! Got the Aeromotive FPR fitted, need a couple of adpaters to make it fit the standard fuel lines but these can be ordered this week! Got all the gearbox bits connected such as clutch m/cyl, driveshafts, gear linkage, starter motor etc etc... Finally I mounted the Emerald ECU so that the wiring will be neat and tidy. I will make a cover so the water stays well away. That leads me onto the wiring! I need to order a new ECU plug from Emerald but this week I intend on labelling all the wiring so all I need to do is put the Emerald ECU plug on the end and hey presto that'll be done also! Quite lucky as a mate just sent over a rough wiring layout for an Emerald setup on a 24v! So should be easy enough.. that includes VVT and inlet activation as well :))))

Plus all blue pipes i do actually want to change to black so the conversion looks neat!

So my shopping list for this week (poor credit card!!) is:

Fuel connectors + jubliee clips to suit

Emerald ECU plug and poss a rev counter convertor signal ??

Throttle body with potentiometer and manual wire operated butterfly

2.8 24v alternator bracket

SS 6 branch manifold + flexi to weld on

x2 12" fans

Will the engine fire at the weekend?? hummm.. possibly! :shrug:

oooo this is gonna be awesome!

Almost turing into a step by step R32 conversion guide! me likey! :D will defo keep my eye on this one

Almost turing into a step by step R32 conversion guide! me likey! :D will defo keep my eye on this one

True! Well I hope it helps others.. I'm trying to crack on and get it finished as quickly as possible.. as I'm dying to drive it.. will be such fun and also the noise! (may have to get rid of one of the silencers! :lol: )

Ben

True! Well I hope it helps others.. I'm trying to crack on and get it finished as quickly as possible.. as I'm dying to drive it.. will be such fun and also the noise! (may have to get rid of one of the silencers! :lol: )

Ben

looking really good there my friend. your pics are invaluable to me being as will be doing more or less the same thing before long (although i'm chickening out and getting someone to do the wiring for me being as i'm retaining the standard ecu/loom etc).

can't wait to see it finished.

the r32's do sound sweeeeet don't they! i'm going to be running milltek sports cats and a bmc cda on mine; the cats are going onto a magnex system. i hope it's not going to be too loud as it will be my daily once it's sorted; hopefully the bmc will keep noise down a little if i fit a long air feed...

best of luck buddy - sure you'll have it sorted soon :)

Nice, whats sort of power you looking at, 260ish? No LSD etc going in.

Can you not run it decatted all the time as its a newer engine in a pre98 car?

The aux air pump is for heating up the CAT's quicker (like blowing on a fire), that's all :wave:

Emerald ECU plug and poss a rev counter convertor signal ??

Rev counter converter isn't needed, as the emerald can put out different signals to suit.

I cancelled the order for the counter converter on your recommendation. Hopefully the ECU plug and pins will be with me tomorrow.

Update:

A COUPLE OF PROBLEMS !! -

I didn't have any time this weekend to work on the R32 Storm, however I managed to pick up the new 2.8 24v alternator/PAS/air con bracket and trial fitted it this evening quickly. The bracket fits.. The R32 alternator fits... The old 12v aircon pump will fit if I was too mod the front cross member - so possible... The PAS pump fits also however only has 3 bolts to hold it on instead of 5, which isn't great. [strike:2iznenl3]Major issue is with the 12v VR6 tensioner hitting the inlet manifold. I'm scratching my head with this one! Think the only way forward is too modify the tensioner. Basically I would need to fit a 8-10mm spacer between the head and the tensioner and then cut the arm where the tensioner pully is (as low down the arm as possible) and ali weld it 8-10mm inwards to clear the inlet, i.e. towards the head again. Can't think of an alternative as the R32 tensioner doesn't fit at all. Any thoughts on this one?![/strike:2iznenl3]

Edit : SCRUB THAT - A 2.8 24v TENSIONER IS NEEDED !! :cheers:

I have the joys of wiring this week :pukeright:

hey there buddy, sorry to hear you are having these issues, i'm sure you will get it squared away though - a man of your talents :)

do you know if it's possible to use the old 12v alternator/PAS pump bracket? i'm not fitting air-con to mine, so i was hoping i would be able to get away with robbing the one off the existing vr...

how long do you recon it will take you now to get the rest of the wiring sorted - i think we are all as eager as you to see her running for the first time :D

hey there buddy, sorry to hear you are having these issues, i'm sure you will get it squared away though - a man of your talents :)

do you know if it's possible to use the old 12v alternator/PAS pump bracket? i'm not fitting air-con to mine, so i was hoping i would be able to get away with robbing the one off the existing vr...

how long do you recon it will take you now to get the rest of the wiring sorted - i think we are all as eager as you to see her running for the first time :D

Thanks chap! 5h1t happens but got it sorted!!

12v bracket will not fit as one piece but someone in the states used the 12v lower half and 24v top half and made a bracket that way... but not worth it when a 2.8 24v bracket does the job and is only 38 quid from the dealer!!

I think I am going to ditch the aircon for the time being, get it running as it is! 12v air con pump will fit but you need to modify the front cross member, better to get an early 2.8 24v one and convert the connectors to fit! Thats what I'm going to do!

Wiring is half done. I'm hoping to have the wiring finished by next weekend, as I'm free to make a change! Need to sort the throttle body but I think it shoould be able to fire very soon!! :norty:

UPDATE!!

Had this afternoon free to make some more progress with the R32 Storm. Got the alternator bracket sorted without an aircon pump, will sort that later. Need an early 2.8 24v aircon pump. Obviously the belt doesn't fit as its the R32 one but once I figure out which belt will work, thinking an early 24v version.. that will work. Anyway I'm happy thats all sorted now pretty much. I also made a start on the wiring, at long last... kind of been putting it off but I couldn't for any longer!

Got the following wired up:

Map sensor

VVT solenoid

Inlet solenoid

Crank sensor

Coolant temp sensor

Still have the following to sort. List as follows:

Inlet air temp

Coils

Injectors

Throttle potentiometer

Shift-light

Batt

Lambda sensor

Rpm

Fuel pump control

Fuses, relays, earths

Then I need to spline the following into the corrado loom:

Switched live

live

Lambda sensor

Rev counter

Fuel pump relay

Coolant temp

Charge light

Oil pressure

Alternator startup wire

So its happening! :clap:

Other things to think about is converting to a manual throttle body. Still thinking about how to convert the R32 fly-by one as its ideal and I might be able to save money by modding it instead of buying a Mustang or an Alfa version. Also need to make up some airfilter piping with an air temp sensor grafted in (need to purchase from Emerald), obviously buy and fit the exhaust manifold + de-cat pipe, connect fuel lines and sort some thin fans for the rad. Other than the odd little bit of dash wiring thats about it?! If I'm missing anything then please shout! :grin:

Another update next weekend no doubts.

Cheers all..

Ben