Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Are my mirrors meant to be heated?

I have the opposite problem, dazzyvr6. It must be one of those Corrado "known problems"..

Jeez, my 12 year old Vauxhall had heated wing mirrors that worked perfectly, even after some idiot had shunted the wing mirror off with some idiotic parking manoeuvre and it was hanging off the side of the car by it's cables..

no, I have the re demister on nearly all the time because it steams up a lot, but the mirrors do nothing.

wiringin diagram time.... :cry:

You'll have to pop the mirrors out and check if there's 12V on the power lines to them, there's a plug directly at the back of the mirror. It should be on when the rear demister is on, as stated above, so if there's 12v there and your mirrors don't demist then the elements are fooked and you'll need to replace (most likely).

Last time I checked VW wanted around £46 each for new ones!!!!!

Non-heated mirrors for Golfs are only £16 tho, so £46 is obscene.

Are all Corrados meant to have heated mirrors? Also, how do I "pop" out the mirrors to check for power lines? I have stupidly managed to break a mirror before by trying to remove it. So I'm a little aprehensive!

AFAIK, all Corrados had electric mirrors, and as such, they're all heated when the rear demister is switched on...

If you haven't got electric mirrors, then the odds are that they're not heated, but I've never heard of a C without 'leccy mirrors... :?

They are leccy, I guess the heaters just don't work or aren't there.

Who else has an 8v? maybe it's something to do with it being bottom of the range?

To my knowledge all C's had heated wing mirrors (mine don't work though!) as well as heated washer jets all which work off the rear demister. My heated wing mirror elements have corroded very badly as i've had the glass out to check! Very common problem, i went to see 4 C's before buying mine and not one had working heated wing mirrors! Only 1 had a fully functional sunroof!

Heated washer jets as well when the rear demister is switched on. Im guessing thats standard as well.

Ah think heated washer jets are standard on the C mine has them.

Sandy G60

just a thought, but has someone previosly stuck new glass on top of old , maybe smashed, glass. therefore the heat isn't transferring?

mine has heated washer jets n mirrors. Mirrors get warm but to be honest it doesn't really do that much - just makes me touch the lens to see if they're working leaving finger marks on the glass :? ... I have seen LHD corrado's without heated jets...

deffo got heated jets, I'll check the mirror, it's had a new drivers door at some point, maybe the wiring is disconnected.

If they are heated, the back of the glass should have a large heating element bonded to it underneath the white plastic backing, with two spade connectors protruding out at one end.

There is a chance the glass might of been replaced with pattern glass which has no heating element.

If the heater elements are working properly, they should melt the ice and dry off before you even finish scraping the windows!! In Less than 5 mins then :)

mine demist, but I wouldn't say they get warm in 5 mins, its usually about 10 mins in that they have cleared the mist, ice is ocviosly longer.

Mine also do nothing when the demister is on... however I also do not have heated washer jets despite electric windmirrors etc.. mine is a LHD German Euro spec import with extra exhaust cooling pipes for hot climates..so I suspect it wasn't in the spec.. (neither was aircon unfortunately,.)

If its any help to anyone- Mine had a new one fitted a couple of months ago. It will clear fog in minutes- even ice is gone by three- four minutes. It goes on to get actually quite warm to the touch. The original one on the other side doesn't even come close. I would guess these things just gradually deteriorate over time :(

So has anyone got a foolproof way of getting the glass out without breaking it?

First there was the infinarely variable wiper delay now it's heated mirrors when the rear demister is on :?

I know mine has the heater element on then but have only noticed them clear ocassionally but have never made the connection with having the demister on!

I'll have to investigate.

Chris

They actually pop out very easily. I masked up the mirror surround, inserted a wooden spatula under the mirror and just popped it out. I think you have to watch that you don't snap off the contacts from the back of the mirror tho (Like me- Doh!)

Cheers

Mike