Reggit

Front hub removal

How do I remove the front hub?

I'm trying to get the the ABS sensor to remove it, the thing is seized in and has a sheared allen bolt thread in the way at the back. Access via the front is restricted by the ABS rotor, so I need that out of the way.

I've got the disc/caliper out of the way, but am stuck with the hub, i guess tat I need to undo the big nut in the centre, but that appears to need a special tool.

Any suggestions?

The big nut is the hub nut. On a VR it is a 12-point nut, whereas others it is a simple 6-sided hex nut.

General wheel hub removal should be:

Hub nut removed,

Wheel nuts loosened,

jack up car,

wheel off,

Caliper off / strung up to coil spring,

disc off,

Track control arm off,

2 x suspension to hub bolts off,

Driveshaft out,

Lower Ball Joint out,

Hub off.

I'm stuck - I can't shift the hub (wheel carrier/abs rotor).

I've got the centre nut undone, wheel, caliper and disc removed. The hub looks like it should just pull off, but it won't shift. used a puller with as much force as I dare - but wonder if I've missed something.

HELP appreciated.

I think we at slight cross purposes - it's the bit I've circled below that I'm trying to get off. Not the whole assembly.PICT0047-1.jpg

Yeah just the hub itself...

You need to remove those screws and get the puller back on it but tbh might be easier to take the whole lot off and take to a garage with a press, get new bearing and hub at the same time, only issue with this is that it will disturb the camber angle.

If anyone's any suggestions on how to butcher the ABS sensor out and the sheared allen bolt - I'm all ears. Especially if I dont need to dismantle too much and spend much dosh.

Ah yes sorry! I have never tried to remove my own hub flange which is the name of the T-shaped section the disc bolts to, the part behind is the hub housing I think?

I would recommend taking it to a garage also, but if you are going to DIY the puller should work fine.

Hi Mate,

Im doing exactly the same job on my 8valve. i took off the splash guard (well actually it fell off it was so rusty)

This then left me just enough room to drill the snapped bolt still remaining by drilling it out by gaining access via straight through one of the holes in the ABS ring.

I have used a 5mm drill to do this and it has worked a treat although all i need to do now is chisle a bit more of the left over bolt out and then tap it out with the required 6mm tap which i need to buy tomorrow :lol: then hopefully job done.

However i'm not sure if the size of the hub flange is much bigger on the VR6 but if its the same size you will just be able to gain access the same way!

Good luck.

If you are not reusing the sensor just tap it around a little and it should come out ok as mine did exactly the same so it pays to wiggle it a little :wink:

Got the sensor out using a cold chisel and a broken screwdriver as a punch thru the ABS rotor holes. Going to make a start on the snapped bolt tomorrow evening.

Thanks for the tip KIPVW, I may try that approach if plus gas and a blow torch don't have any success.

Now for sale on ebay - 'corrado ABS sensor - untested' :lol:

Sorted it - pending test run. The dash light is behaving as it should now so fingers crossed it'll be ok again.

Got the snapped stud out by a mixture of brute force and ignorance!

Ok I drilled a 2mm hole down the centre, just enough room to do that from the front. Then using a chisel I could slightly collapse the remnents of the stud which allowed WD40 to penetrate the threads.

Then using a tool called a 'footprint' - this grips the stud and tightens as you turn - the rust lost it's battle and the thread started to turn.

Thread then cleaned up with appropriate size tap, sensor hole cleaned with a dremel then everything refitted.

No major dismantling was needed it the end - thankfully.

Cheers for advise - it was appreciated.

Yep nice one indeed! Fancy coming to finish mine off then :lol: just gotta tap it out now as bought one today so a sunday job me thinks.

Not tried this myself yet but I have to change the hub on my G60 due to one of the wheel nut threads being stripped (previous owner!). So if I undertsand correctly its best to remove the complete assembly and carry out the work on the bench?

I want to remove the hub nuts from my spare driveshafts - problem is i cant get enough friction in the vice to hold them or prevent them from turning whn i use the breaker bar. Any other ideas? Pics below:

I had to do this recently, took it down to my friendly garage where he used an air gun whilst the shaft was held by a pair of hands - it came off :D

good idea, i've got an impact wrench, just not used it much recently :cuckoo: Held by hand you say? Really?

good idea, i've got an impact wrench, just not used it much recently :cuckoo: Held by hand you say? Really?

I held the shaft with 2 hands, he held it with 1 hand with the other holding the gun so it was 3 hands. It was just resting at floor level, took just a fews seconds.

yep you were right, driveshaft in the vice, a few pulses of the impact wrench and off it came! Thanks for that. Now, to change the bearings does the hub have to be removed from the knuckle, or just the dust shield? This will be a bummer as the heads of the bolts have rounded and i STILL havent bought a set of Irwins.