Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

lamba prob dead, causing stalling and rubbish idling...?

Those ISV damper pots usually blow apart as a result of a back fire through the intake....

They're a bit a nuiscance imo and not strictly necessary. The foam gauze inside them often bunches up into one of the ports and partially blocks the flow. It's purpose is nothing more exciting than to quieten the noise of air bleeding through the ISV at idle.

Bin it and reroute pipes accordingly as Toad mentioned.

done that, going on a long drive today so will see if i still have the idling issues, hope not, (touches a whole forest of wood!)

well car seems to be stalling same as usual, i totally give up on this car now, to the crusher it goes!

Stalling when pulling up to junctions is very common on OBD1 Corrados.

Expensive fix - Convert to OBD2

Cheaper fix - Try and new MAF and / or idle valve.

my sodding car is still stalling like before, seems to be doing it when the engine is warm, really doing my head in now!

Hi Neil, The offer still stands mate, you wanna try any bits from mine from the inlet etc you're welcome.

I'll be going OBD2 before I get the Rado back on the road so it's all available.

I'm around the next week or so then I'll be back to Saudi for a couple of months, give us a shout if you wanna have a try with some stuff next week.

Tony

Hi Neil, The offer still stands mate, you wanna try any bits from mine from the inlet etc you're welcome.

I'll be going OBD2 before I get the Rado back on the road so it's all available.

I'm around the next week or so then I'll be back to Saudi for a couple of months, give us a shout if you wanna have a try with some stuff next week.

Tony

cheers mate, appreciate it, what u thinking i could try?

Tony

cheers mate, appreciate it, what u thinking i could try?

Well there's a MAF and ISV in there you could try, mine was running fine when it came off the road so you can have a go with them.

Are you working a funny shift this week? I'll be around most days cos I've got lots of paperwork to get done this week. :gag:

well i have monday (2morow) and wednesday off. Yeah i'd like to try ur stuff if thats ok?

Pm me ur postcode and what days are u in?

well i thought it was all ok until tonight, went for a drive, and suddenly the car started to stall when coming to a halt like before, in total i did 22 miles in 55 minutes and it did the stalling this all the time until i came 2 roads from my house (after 22 miles of driving to town and back) where i got so fed up of starting the car everytime it stalled that when it stalled, i bump started the car as i was moving, then after that, the car was back to normal??

I did notice that during my 55 minutes drive tonight interior blower fan stopped working on all speeds, but then later on it started up again?

Only thing i have done differently was put £30 of sainsburys unleaded in the day before.

I also noticed that the engine water temp neddle did NOT go above the 70 mark...strange as i went for a rather heavy tyre-testing brisks drive after it sorted itself out to see if it was ok, which it is now.

Any got any ideas on this strange event tonight?

** Update **

my car started to stall again like usual and be a right c*nt!

so tonight in the dark i take a look, and notice that the top middle and top right ignition leads are sparking down at the sprak plug..i give them a wiggle and they just come off into my hand!! they must of some how worked themselves loose, so i pop them back on, and the top middle ignition lead is still sparking down at the spark plug, could this be the cause of my car not wanting to idle and also when i sometimes accelerate its a bit jerky as it gathers speed?

Your input is GREATLY NEEDED please!!

P.S how much would a set of Ignition leads and spark plugs set me back and where's best to buy them from?

It could well be the problem. Have you also tried spraying a mist of water on the coil pack to test it? If the revs drop as you do it, its likely faulty.

New leads Beru ones (OEM) I believe are about £60. Spark plugs about £8. Just get the NGK ones plenty of threads on them.

It could well be the problem. Have you also tried spraying a mist of water on the coil pack to test it? If the revs drop as you do it, its likely faulty.

New leads Beru ones (OEM) I believe are about £60. Spark plugs about £8. Just get the NGK ones plenty of threads on them.

are these from VW themselves?

when you say a fine mist, do you mean like out of a flower watering spray thingy?

I believe Beru are the manufacturer of the original leads and the leads from VW will be made by Beru. You can also get Beru leads from places like GPC, GSF, ECP, VWspares etc cheaper than VW.

Yes a fine mist from a flower sprayer is exactly what I meant.

well changed the leads and plugs, stil no difference, so i unplugged the ISV and the car didn't cut out but the revs kept rising and falling between 850 and 1050, then when i revved the engine it would not fall below 800 revs and then hovered around the 1000 mark. I chaned my ISV for a known working one and its been fine for ages, then now its really dodgy!

Any ideas?

well i am still stumped, still doing the stalling problem, got a new ISV on its way so ill have to try that one and see how things go, just though id bump this incase anyone could shed any more light for me.

Well ive just tried my 3rd ISV and 2nd MAF and it still stalling and not being able to hold the revs, any ideas, im beginning to give up now!

Have you tried checking the PCV value that connects the rocker cover breather to the inlet pipework. Might had split and was letting unmetered air into the system and had loads of stalling issues etc....

Might be worth a shot. Also, I adjusted my throttle cable as that had come loose at some point so I reset it according to the bentley manual.

The car stalls when the ISV is connected, even with a new ISV ?

Have you checked the ISV controller - it's about the size of a fag packet apparently and behind the centre console? Not exactly sure how you test it mind .. maybe someone else knows more details!

The car stalls when the ISV is connected, even with a new ISV ?

Have you checked the ISV controller - it's about the size of a fag packet apparently and behind the centre console? Not exactly sure how you test it mind .. maybe someone else knows more details!

oooh, well this would co-inside with me fitting my leather seats and running the wires behind the centre consol, maybe i've dislodged something? what is this ISV controler you talk of?

I didn't even know one existed until I was reading through the Golf Mk2 Haynes Manual (so I can't really tanslate this to a VR6) but the manual suggests as well as checking the ISV (and associated wiring) that I should also check the control unit. It's located behind the gear stick in the centre console.

Another forum member told me it was about the size of a fag packet and black. Never actually had a rummage for mine yet.