Sign in to follow this  
loveofcorrados

3.0 litre upgrade

Hi everyone i'm new to the forum so excuse my naivety.

I've had my VR6 for 18 months, its coming up for its 150 000 mark so a re-build is emminant. I was just wondering if anyone here's attempted the 2.9 to 3.0 litre tune up and whether i could pick their brains about hassle, price and rewards.

thanks for your time

ryan

Hi

Had a rebore and stuff last year. Don't see that making 2.9 to a 3.0 would make that much difference.

Rebore and keep it standard, or 24v route. Don't bother with the hassle of custom made pistons etc.

Enjoy

Hold on a moment .. just because it says 150,000 on the clock doesn't mean the engine is about to go pop. If you *want* to upgrade, or there's a good reason to (it's burning tons of oil, or it's knocking like the bottom end is dead) then fair enough.. but don't just assume. These things are good for 2-300k miles if used carefully, maybe with just a head recondition here and there.

Another echo of dr_mat's post, I rebuilt mine (just +20thou) as it was using a bit of oil (500 miles between min and max) and was rattling a bit, but to be honest it didn't need half of what I ended up doing to it. New timing chains and head re-con would have been best I think. I didn't even manage to get rid of the rattle despite replacing pretty much every wearing part!

Does now do ~2500 miles between min and max oil though.

ttfn,

--

Olly

I wouldn't bother going 3.0 personally unless you're going forced induction with forged pistons, and even then I would only go out as far as 83mm (2937cc), otherwise the bore walls get a little on the thin side.

i agree with Dr.mat, those bottom ends go on forever if looked after, has the head been off yet??? whats you oil consumption like? is there a reason why you say its emminant?

dont fix something that aint broke

regards

Chris